Possible SPOILERS: S3 casting & returning actors/characters

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Re: Possible SPOILERS: S3 casting & returning actors/charact

Post by N. Needleman »

I would love to call her confirmed but she evidently hasn't filmed yet, and I need triple confirmation on Sherilyn Fenn at this point. As for Al Strobel, it sounds like he may have verbally confirmed but there's also a number of other people who we don't list as confirmed because we haven't seen them and can't be 100% sure. Piper Laurie and Richard Beymer may definitely be back based on either evidence or verbal hints, but we can't call them confirmed.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

N. Needleman wrote: Piper Laurie and Richard Beymer may definitely be back based on either evidence or verbal hints, but we can't call them confirmed.
Have there been Piper hints? Or anything new on her? I'd heard about Richard Beymer - the hints, the rumours of his name - but all I've heard on the Piper front is that she'd like to do it again. I really, really, REALLY hope she is back as Catherine!
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I took that recent anecdote (which I think was in the SPOILERS thread) about Piper to mean she is coming back. Beymer, I still think people saw his trailer. But again, neither are confirmed and if we can't confirm Piper than IMO we can't confirm Strobel on the same basis. But YMMV.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I'd only heard Piper saying she'd heard Lynch was doing it and she'd love to be back, but Strobel has been reported as saying he WILL be back (in addition to that he'd love to do it/would only ever work again if it was Lynch, etc). I may be wrong on this point, but that's what I understood.

This guy seems to report the same re Strobel - but is reluctant to say anything about what he discussed with Sherilyn.
(Last 5 minutes or so of the video.)

I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I'm just going off an anecdote someone put in one of the threads about Piper sometime in the last month or two, where he met her and she seemed to strongly hint that she was back. You can search for it if you like. But again, this is not confirmation and IMO neither is Strobel. If he definitively said it, then great, but I've heard a few different POVs on that same event. I know other people came away from the UK Fest convinced Sherilyn is a done deal as well, but there's other people from the event and other information that suggest otherwise.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Ah ok. Yes, all makes sense.

I hope she will be back - but I don't seem to see many people hoping for Piper's Catherine for some reason!
Last edited by Jonah on Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
dud
RR Diner Member

Post by dud »

yeah someone in the spoiler thread posted something in the past month or so that piper said that heavily implied she would be back, she's pretty much confirmed in my mind
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

So cool! If it was up to me, I'd strike all the new actors and just bring all the old favs back, but I know that's not practical from a narrative sense (it would feel too like a reunion show), or from a marketing one, given that younger cast members and better known actors sell shows. I'd love to see a dark edgy American show where it's all middle-aged/elderly protagonists though, and had at first hoped the return of "Twin Peaks" would be the show to finally do this - and this is coming from someone in their early 30's!
dud
RR Diner Member

Post by dud »

i actually like the idea of new characters, i don't think any of them are there at the expense of old characters not returning, they'll add new breathe & dimension to the show i think
dud
RR Diner Member

Post by dud »

hmmm i'm trying to find the piper laurie quote and i can't, i'm certain it was in the spoiler thread but i can't seem to find it by searching for it, anyone else have any luck?
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I welcome new people wholeheartedly. It's been 25 years, I want to see the town grow and live and change and have children, new kids, new stories. I love a mix of the vets and the new characters; I don't think it would be right or viable for it to just be the old cast. It would feel like a Love Boat TV movie to me.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I agree, it would feel like a reunion show - and narratively it wouldn't make much sense. (Though I think, had Lynch gone that way, he could have done it in a more interesting way than a reunion TV movie - making it perhaps a mediation on loss, death, and ageing.) But conversely, the fresh new faces being cast thing tends to feel even more stale to me, every time a reboot or sequel or continuation appears. I know TP hired fresh new faces and unknowns in its original series, but it still makes me grown a little inwardly. For me, I'm not at all excited about the new cast or characters, only seeing people like Big Ed and Nadine, actors who are unashamedly old/older and haven't been seen in movies or TV much in decades. I just think it would be exciting and fresh to see a cast predominantly middle-aged and elderly. Sometimes it becomes so shallow constantly seeing 20 and 30 somethings and sex appeal being the fuel for all narrative TV. But that's just me. And I acknowledge new faces make sense, I'm just not excited about that angle at all.
tylergfoster

Post by tylergfoster »

The Piper Laurie thing was a board member met her and said he'd love to see her in the new episodes, and she ultimately said, "I think you might get your wish." There's not much more to it than that.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

tylergfoster wrote:The Piper Laurie thing was a board member met her and said he'd love to see her in the new episodes, and she ultimately said, "I think you might get your wish." There's not much more to it than that.
Correct, that's all it was. He posted a photo with her as well. She was at a "Carrie" event of some sort this weekend, I hope someone somewhere asked her about "Twin Peaks" but I doubt it.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

It was just an anecdote, but the way he described it certainly made it sound as if she was saying as much as she could without violating any NDA. Either way, no, we can't confirm her.