Mike and Bob, Mike and Bobby

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Mike and Bob, Mike and Bobby

Post by LostInTheMovies »

I don't think there's been a thread for this on dugpa though the subject has probably come up a few times. Do people notice any interesting correspondences between "Mike and Bob", the spirits, and "Mike and Bobby", the teenagers? I know this caused a lot of confusion on alt.tv.twin-peaks back in the day when it first emerged. There's a video (I think it's the "True Face of Mike" one) where it's pointed out that in her drugged-up state, Laura might be referring to Bob defeating Mike in the spiritual realm (i.e. all hope is lost for her) when she tells Bobby "you killed Mike." I've ever read some far-out theories that Mike and Bob are the future forms of Mike and Bobby, having time-traveled and become spiritual entities; I guess by that reading Dana Ashbrook will be the new face of Bob (and Gary Hershberger will come back with one arm).

But what encouraged me to start this thread was thinking about the conversation Laura & Donna have about Mike & Bobby in Fire Walk With Me. I noticed, when editing one of my videos, that after Donna says Laura never lets her go out with her, she says "You're not gonna see Bobby, are you?" which sort of subconsciously suggests the idea that on her nocturnal adventures Laura is "seeing Bob." But the other thing I just noticed which I think is pretty cool is that Donna asks Laura if she thinks Mike could write a poem. It seems like such a non sequitur until you think about (spirit) Mike's "Fire Walk With Me" poem.

I don't necessarily think there's any larger significance to this, just that Lynch likes to play these sorts of games and create interesting patterns. Anybody else notice others?
Shloogorgh
RR Diner Member

Re: Mike and Bob, Mike and Bobby

Post by Shloogorgh »

Oh wow, I love that connection with the poem.

Having Mike and Bobby be the faces of MIKE and BOB in the new series would be very intriguing. I was so convinced Leland would take the face of BOB that I never considered any other possibility.
mujubuju
Roadhouse Member

Post by mujubuju »

I can't remember where I heard this, but I believe it was either Engels or Frost, when asked if the name similarities were just a coincidence, that implied it was a deliberate correlation. Take that for whatever it's worth.
G42.2
Roadhouse Member

Post by G42.2 »

I LOVE the poem non-sequitur... Man oh man the strange places these characters could go in season 3... The mind reels!
Aqua
Roadhouse Member

Post by Aqua »

mujubuju wrote:I can't remember where I heard this, but I believe it was either Engels or Frost, when asked if the name similarities were just a coincidence, that implied it was a deliberate correlation. Take that for whatever it's worth.
One can wonder whether they could have had fun with this to an extent that via Engels/Frost = BOB/M(I)arK(E)? Engels did mention that they knew each other since convenience store ... pardon, college, and maybe Bob killing Mike referred in a sarcastical way to, say, Engels (along with Peyton) taking over S2 from Frost, for example. With Judy named after his wife Jill's (! almost Josie) sister, would not be much of a surprise, possibly
dud
RR Diner Member

Post by dud »

wow, great thread. never made those connections. the poem bit seems too good to a coincidence although it probably is lol
FireWalker808

Post by FireWalker808 »

IMDB has recently posted the actor playing Bobby's friend Mike is returning for season 3.....Bobby/BOB and Mike/Mike theory is picking up cred.
She's filled with secrets
Clueless
Roadhouse Member

Post by Clueless »

Random observations:

BOB is a rapist /BOBBY's first experience with sex was traumatic, caused him to cry.

One-Armed MIKE is the opposite of BOB. MIKE JR enters a strange but mutually agreed upon erotic relationship with an overpowering, One-Eyed woman.

BOB corrupts people, uses drugs to manipulate./BOBBY is manipulated into using and selling drugs.

MIKE is repressed by drugs (Philip's schizophrenic medication)/ MIKE JR finds love by a woman whose identity is repressed by drugs (her overdose represses her depressed, adult self)

BOB is associated with head injuries, bashing head against mirrors, pictures, walls; possibly put-on amnesia

MIKES relationship with Nadine ends after head injuries cause him to express love, her to forget love.

BOB is associated with abuse at a young age, corrupted youth, stolen childhood (Leland, Laura).

MIKE enters a relationship with a woman who returns to a non-corrupted youth, second childhood, purity, thinks she is a virgin again

BOB causes people to murder, is only afraid of MIKE. /BOBBY murders a man in fear referred to jokingly as MIKE.

Conclusion

Can we see BOB corrupting BOBBY through Laura? Is Nadine somehow associated with MIKE?
TheMx

Post by TheMx »

Great thread!

The theory (and possible plot development) of Bobby and Mike becoming BOB and MIKE in the future is so bad that it's actually really good in my eyes.

I'm sure Lynch & Frost could make that work flawlessly.

That would also explain why Gary Hershberger has a role in S3. I wouldn't have expected him to be in it at all, as he seemed to have no direct connection to the core mystery at all, and was not a fan favorite afaik.
"I am 100% sure that we're not completely sure"
mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

Was just thinking about this ahead of the new series and wondered if there had been a thread on here. Of course LITM got there first!

Anyone interested in picking up the discussion? I always found it interesting that Lynch gave the same (or very similar) names to the two pairs of best friends, one relatively innocent and the other deeply sinister.