Episode 14 changes and the changes generally

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Episode 14 changes and the changes generally

Post by Gabriel »

Hi guys. I've been around here before, but I guess my membership must've expired at some point, cos I've been away for ages.

Interesting to see the 'changes' on the episodes. I'm sure I remember reading that there were variations in the content of the various Twin Peaks episodes in different territories. For example, I think that some versions of episode one of season two differently represented the scene where Maddy sees BOB in the stain that grows on the carpet. Apparently some territories merely had a bloodstain appear on the carpet, because the BOB effect hadn't been applied when the tapes were sent out. Y'know, it's a bit like the UK cinema release and VHS release of FWWM didn't have subs for the Pink Room scene, but the US version, the Sky TV version and the current DVD version does.

Could it be that the versions of the episodes being released on DVD are final versions of the shows and the episodes released on VHS are earlier versions prepared for worldwide release? As an editor myself, I know that occasionally, very late in the day, tweaks can be made to visuals on programmes, even after the sound mix has been laid on to the tape.

For what it's worth, it's the 'old' versions I remember seeing on the BBC. I believe the BBC did make small cuts for censorship reasons to the episode, but still had a complaint upheld against them for screening Maddy's death scene without sufficient advance warning!
watercooler

Post by watercooler »

I'm generally against any and all alterations, but these two just don't get me worked up.
silenttwn
Roadhouse Member

Post by silenttwn »

watercooler wrote:I'm generally against any and all alterations, but these two just don't get me worked up.
Same here. I barely noticed the changes. The thing I'm most interested is the origin of the changes... why they happened. Certainly not because of censorship or anything, because all the messy bits seemed to be included.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Yeah. Like I say, I'm pretty sure there were some territorial variations where TP was concerned. The murder scene was a pivotal moment in the whole series and the makers must've played around with lots of different ideas.

Thus the question becomes 'Where did these edits for the DVDs come from?' Lynch is supposed to have supervised these transfers, so did he and the DVD producers choose to use earlier, later or alternate edits of the episodes or change some shots when the DVD masters were in progress?

Where did the material for these masters come from?

Have the wrong masters been used, which might be the cause of the inconsistencies, like the errors pointed out in other episodes (falling gloves being more obvious spring to mind!) Were the top of episode recaps ***cut***, or did they never exist on the masters used for the DVDs?
Teopeaks
RR Diner Member

Post by Teopeaks »

Interesting though that the changes were made on a Lynch-directed episode. I'm not quite aware of his involvement in the DVD. Is it possible that he decided to alter the episode himself?

I think it actually works better this way actually.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

More than likely, the changes were either already on the masters and Lynch didn't notice them, or Lynch didn't watch each and every frame himself. I am sure that when supervising 22 Episodes, I would find it hard to believe that Lynch would have the time to sit through each and every Episode.

I'm not bothered by the changes but from a purist point of view, they really should have included the original sound mixes and preserved the original versions.

As for the framing issues, that should have been a given, but again, it really depends on how much time was given to review the Episodes.

For one, I know that there is no way Lynch would have allowed the compression to be so bad on Episode 29. I can oly assume that he supervised the transfer from the negative and onto HD.

Any authoring and compression after the initial transfer to HD could not have possibly been given the OK by Lynch.

Unfortunately, I've been given indication that there will likely not be any original soundtracks included on the new "Complete" box set which is a pity as it's not like it would cost CBS/Paramount much to include the original stereo tracks.

It seems like a lost opportunity to me but what do I know.
wallydanger
Roadhouse Member

Post by wallydanger »

dugpa wrote:
Unfortunately, I've been given indication that there will likely not be any original soundtracks included on the new "Complete" box set which is a pity as it's not like it would cost CBS/Paramount much to include the original stereo tracks.

It seems like a lost opportunity to me but what do I know.
If you don't mind me asking, where are you getting info on what will be included (or not included) on the coming box set? I've also heard rumors of a CD soundtrack coming for season two.
"Do you see creamed corn on that plate?"
> Enter The Lodge
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

I emailed one of the persons working on the new DVD set.