The creators of Laura Palmer

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

The creators of Laura Palmer

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Just joined up with Tumblr, and while I've mostly been sharing older images and videos from my blog I've also been creating some new stuff. Though people here might enjoy looking at this, my capsules on Laura Palmer's creators:

Obviously much remains unknown or vague, even with great scholarship like Brad's (which was a huge help to me in assembling this). But it's fun trying to piece together the clues.

Should have also mentioned, in the resources section, some interviews I read with Mary Sweeney with made me inclined to include her here, even though it's mostly speculatory on my part, reading between the lines of things she's said and piecing together the suggestions. I've never read her comment on Laura directly, but the fact that Lynch apparently gives (or rather, gave) his editors lots of leeway, combined with her own humanist perspective and her obvious bond with Lynch (and feeling that she wanted to bring out that side of his work more, as she said in regards to The Straight Story) leads me to suspect she played a big role in shaping that film's perspective on Laura into what it is.
garrett8250

Re: The creators of Laura Palmer

Post by garrett8250 »

Very interesting stuff! I enjoy your speculation about Mary Sweeney's influence on Lynch's concept of Laura's life. One quick question: I'm pretty certain there never was a Harley Peyton Star Pics card in the set. Where did that image come from?
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

garrett8250 wrote:Very interesting stuff! I enjoy your speculation about Mary Sweeney's influence on Lynch's concept of Laura's life. One quick question: I'm pretty certain there never was a Harley Peyton Star Pics card in the set. Where did that image come from?
From Welcome to Twin Peaks' twitter feed: https://twitter.com/thatsourwaldo/statu ... 8648245249. One of the only decent 1990 pictures I could find of him. Looks like it's from the bonus set and Peyton replied to the tweet & said he had a drawer full of them haha.
garrett8250

Post by garrett8250 »

I've never heard about a "bonus set" of the Star Pics cards before. Intriguing! Do you know any of the other people/objects that were the subject of other bonus cards?

This site has a catalog of all 76 of the cards in the regular set: http://www.lynchnet.com/tp/tpcards.html

By the way, that has to be one of the most beautiful shots of Laura Palmer (in blue sweater and yellow jacket)! Too bad Sheryl Lee's wig in FWWM couldn't be at least a little closer in appearance to her actual hair...
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

garrett8250 wrote:I've never heard about a "bonus set" of the Star Pics cards before. Intriguing! Do you know any of the other people/objects that were the subject of other bonus cards?

This site has a catalog of all 76 of the cards in the regular set: http://www.lynchnet.com/tp/tpcards.html

By the way, that has to be one of the most beautiful shots of Laura Palmer (in blue sweater and yellow jacket)! Too bad Sheryl Lee's wig in FWWM couldn't be at least a little closer in appearance to her actual hair...
I don't know what was in the bonus set but coincidentally the Sparkwood & 21 podcast just yesterday devoted an entire episode to the original card set! http://directory.libsyn.com/episode/index/id/3809367
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

cardstrip.jpg
cardstrip.jpg (43.4 KiB) Viewed 6977 times
garrett8250

Post by garrett8250 »

qbin2001 wrote:
cardstrip.jpg
Cool! Thanks! Who is in the last card on the right? And do you have a scan of the back of these cards? Do you know if this is the complete "bonus set"?