The Great Northern Wall paintings

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

frompureair
Roadhouse Member

The Great Northern Wall paintings

Post by frompureair »

Does anyone have any good HD pics of the paintings from the great northern mainly I want the one from the wall in Ben's office for a screensaver. feel free to discuss the art of the great northern here.
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Re: The Great Northern Wall paintings

Post by qbin2001 »

frompureair wrote:Does anyone have any good HD pics of the paintings from the great northern mainly I want the one from the wall in Ben's office for a screensaver. feel free to discuss the art of the great northern here.
Recreated from the series screen caps.
bens_office_1920x1080.jpg
bens_office_1920x1080.jpg (477.53 KiB) Viewed 9876 times
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Q- that is AWESOME!!!
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Great job Qbin!
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

I'm glad you like it. :D

I LOOOOVE all those Great Northern's paintings and I will recreate all of them someday.

It took few days to recreate scalable painting, but I'm going to paint it on my wooden wall on the next room renovation (much smaller then Ben's office paint - my room is much, much smaller :lol:), so I needed big template. Desktop wallpaper is just a little treasure form my eyes until that time.

Enjoy!
frompureair
Roadhouse Member

Post by frompureair »

brilliant that shall do just fine!
hopesfall
RR Diner Member

Post by hopesfall »

Q, that's fantastic. Thanks for sharing. I look forward to seeing what else you've got in store! What you've got planned for your room sounds great. :)
the haystack
Roadhouse Member

Post by the haystack »

[sic]
Last edited by the haystack on Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Log Lady lives
the haystack
Roadhouse Member

Post by the haystack »

frompureair wrote: feel free to discuss the art of the great northern here.
This has been interesting for a long time. The art seen throughout the Great Northern and GN sound stages is probably generated from the initial filming in the Kiana Lodge in Poulsbo, situated on the Kitsap peninsula across the Sound from Seattle, westward. I think that wall image you're working with above is/was actually part of the lodge artwork, not from a soundstage. I know I saw it once a dozen years ago. It is highly typical of the Coast Salish peoples which are made up of many tribes saturating the Washington coast all the way up to the Queen Charlottes in BC, and beyond.

But, Twin Peaks is not on the coast, or even near. The artwork would not be accurate if Twin Peaks was really located where the map shows. The real Great Northern and its doppelganger, One Eyed Jacks would be squarely seated in the Okanagon Valley whose artwork would be dominated by the Syilx first nation, whose culture and ethnicity are part of the Interior Salish peoples, not the Coast Salish peoples. (There's a massive mountain range of separation.)

The part I like, and I don't think anyone on the writer's staff knows this, is that the general thematic look of Syilx art looks much closer to the Owl Cave petroglyph than it does the Great Northern (Kiana). Check out this artifact http://sncewipsmuseum.org/whats-on/exhibits/
Log Lady lives
garmonbozia8

Post by garmonbozia8 »

qbin2001 wrote:
frompureair wrote:Does anyone have any good HD pics of the paintings from the great northern mainly I want the one from the wall in Ben's office for a screensaver. feel free to discuss the art of the great northern here.
Recreated from the series screen caps.
bens_office_1920x1080.jpg
Amazing job!

But has anyone noticed that the middle face (second from bottom) has eyes shaped like Saturn? Brings to mind the Saturn Lamp in the Red Room. :idea:
Fly the Coop

Post by Fly the Coop »

Just found this, great pic! Now saved :D

As soon as I saw it it struck of how everything on both sides is paired, however with minor changes that are hard to notice, much like dopplegangers or vessels. There's a clear happier looking "hand face" at the bottom, suggesting good and bad. The only part which is the same both sides is the face stuck in the middle with saturn as eyes, trapped in the middle, looking worried.

Anyway, probably been discussed before! All new to me!
"Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup, collides with ham"