David Lynch's Films Are All Chapters in One Story

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

David Lynch's Films Are All Chapters in One Story

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Indiewire has just shared another of my David Lynch video essays, along with an interesting write-up by Max Winter about how Lynch's films add up to a sum even greater than their individual parts:

http://blogs.indiewire.com/pressplay/wa ... y-20151007

From a critical/analytical angle, this non-narrated montage examines the way Lynch's treatment of trauma and abuse evolved over his first 6 films. At the same time, this video also kind of forms its own narrative, in some ways a different narrative than the films themselves offer. If I were to sum up that "story" in one cryptic sentence (ala David Lynch, I guess, albeit a bit less poetically) I would say that it is about two characters who believe there is a third before slowly & tragically discovering that there isn’t.

This was made before Journey Through Twin Peaks in a very different style, and in some ways it is the work I'm proudest of amongst everything I've done up to now. Fair warning, it hones in on the darkest and most disturbing aspects of Lynch's work so NSFW and be prepared.