Eric DaRe (Leo Johnson)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Re: Eric DaRe (Leo Johnson)

Post by Snailhead »

Gabriel wrote:
Panapaok wrote:I completely understand why Leo will not appear in the new series but I really hope they'll address his fate at some point.
Discovering Windom's lair where there's a dusty, mummified corpse with spiders coming out of the mouth and eye sockets would be suitably ghoulish.
I wouldn't mind that!
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Gabriel wrote:
Panapaok wrote:I completely understand why Leo will not appear in the new series but I really hope they'll address his fate at some point.
Discovering Windom's lair where there's a dusty, mummified corpse with spiders coming out of the mouth and eye sockets would be suitably ghoulish.
Hmmm... Sounds more like something out of EC comics.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Agent Earle wrote:
Gabriel wrote:
And Windom showing up with white face, red eyes and steel teeth wasn't? Or shooting a guy trapped in a giant chess piece dead with a crossbow wasn't? ;)
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

Gabriel wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:
Gabriel wrote:
And Windom showing up with white face, red eyes and steel teeth wasn't? Or shooting a guy trapped in a giant chess piece dead with a crossbow wasn't? ;)
..and Windom Earle himself wasn't?
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

bob_wooler wrote: ..and Windom Earle himself wasn't?
Spot on! :lol:
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

bob_wooler wrote:
Gabriel wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:

Erm... no, he wasn't.
Harry Dean Lynch

Post by Harry Dean Lynch »

Dalai Cooper wrote:Yeah, what a trouper - he spent 22 episodes either drooling or grunting! No wonder he stepped up to the plate so well when lynch actually gave him something to do in the film. In general, I think da re is a good example of someone turning in a good performance within a limited range but I'm not entirely surprised he isn't back.

(Obligatory PS that tarantula bites are not fatal)
Its possible that his acting style just worked better in the film than the series. In the show I just found him too hammy. With most of the other cast you believe more in their characters, and can see them doing a proper send up of their soaped up versions.
NewtoTwinPeaks
Roadhouse Member

Post by NewtoTwinPeaks »

Given that the actor who plays Jacques Renault is back, a little strange that Leo is not, given he was more involved in the series.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Agent Earle wrote:
bob_wooler wrote:
Gabriel wrote:

Erm... no, he wasn't.
Dude dressed up in a horse costume, played panflutes while pontificating about good and evil. He's as schlocky as they come.

Anyway, I hope the new run stays as far away as S2 Leo, chess piece corpses, Earles bad disguises as possible.
kitty666cats
RR Diner Member

Post by kitty666cats »

Rudagger wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:
bob_wooler wrote: ..and Windom Earle himself wasn't?

Erm... no, he wasn't.
Dude dressed up in a horse costume, played panflutes while pontificating about good and evil. He's as schlocky as they come.

Anyway, I hope the new run stays as far away as S2 Leo, chess piece corpses, Earles bad disguises as possible.
I don't think you have to worry about anything like this happening, haha. As I will always say, Windom Earle was a great idea conceptually (brilliant ex FBI partner gone absolutely mad), but DAMN was it ever poorly executed!
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

The most recent Lodgers podcast makes a good case for earle as the poochie of tp (an honour usually conferred upon john justice wheeler with his whole abrupt "I have to go back to my home planet now" thing): whenever he's offscreen, everyone constantly talks about him - in this case, about how brilliant and awesomely terrifying he is - and when we finally see him he's just this ludicrous bundle of tics and tropes.

I suppose there is extra insult (and therefore poignancy...??) in cooper's ultimate downfall being brought about by a camp embarrassment

As for da re, I'm sure it's been said in this thread already but he's retired from acting and just doesn't seem that interested in revisiting twin peaks from what little anyone can gather. No huge mystery.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

You guys are all delusional. Earle's one of the greatest archenemies of all times :)

Seriously, though, I think S3 would cause major dramatic blunder if it avoided referencing him all together - it would only go to show that Lynch has grown weak in his elder years and is resorting to such cripple, trite comic book-adapting tactics as fan service. And I still haven't given up hope for a surprise cameo appearance... WINDOM EARLE ROCKS!!!
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Agent Earle wrote: Seriously, though, I think S3 would cause major dramatic blunder if it avoided referencing him all together - it would only go to show that Lynch has grown weak in his elder years and is resorting to such cripple, trite comic book-adapting tactics as fan service.
I have to agree. To simply erase characters that are associated with bad plotting by fans is the worst route they could follow IMO.
I'm shocked that some people are considering (some even hoping) that Annie will be simply ignored in S3. Like it or not, these characters are part of the timeline. Unless there's a very good reason to erase them that concerns the plot (like alternate reality or whatever), they have to be acknowledged.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Agent Earle wrote:I think S3 would cause major dramatic blunder if it avoided referencing him all together - it would only go to show that Lynch has grown weak in his elder years and is resorting to such cripple, trite comic book-adapting tactics as fan service.
It's not fan service if Lynch simply doesn't care about Windom Earle. Which I don't think he does.

I didn't mind the character or most of the storyline. But harping on the minutiae of those storylines would be fan service, if it doesn't serve the ongoing plotline.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

N. Needleman wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:I think S3 would cause major dramatic blunder if it avoided referencing him all together - it would only go to show that Lynch has grown weak in his elder years and is resorting to such cripple, trite comic book-adapting tactics as fan service.
It's not fan service if Lynch simply doesn't care about Windom Earle. Which I don't think he does.

I didn't mind the character or most of the storyline. But harping on the minutiae of those storylines would be fan service, if it doesn't serve the ongoing plotline.
To include a few seconds worth of a certain cameo or to have a certain character's name mentioned a time or two could hardly be called "harping on"; nor could it be - in this concrete case - called "fan service" when it's somewhat established that about 90 % of the fandom detests the character and takes shots at him every chance it gets. Which is why I think it's important for the creators, at least, to know and respect their show's narrative history so that they don't erase persons and plot points simply because they were buried under a pile of fan and critical manure for 25 years. I agree that dealing with them should be absolutely subjected to the current story's needs and demands, and I have a hard time picturing the likes of Little Nicky, Evelyn Marsh, Lana Milford, Dick Tremayne etc. having any kind of impact on the town and its denizens 25 years later so I can easily picture them being "erased" from the show's collective memory (then again, who knows), but someone like Windom Earle? Come on, the guy was in numerous ways the most crucial figure in Cooper's life and fate. How can anyone honestly expect to have an 18 hour-long journey focusing on Cooper and to not have his mentor's name and the detriments he caused pop up at some point in the plot? And with FBI playing as large a role in the goings on as it's rumored to play to boot...