Eric DaRe (Leo Johnson)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Re: Eric DaRe (Leo Johnson)

Post by Agent Earle »

Barracuda wrote:
Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
Agent Earle wrote: Seriously, though, I think S3 would cause major dramatic blunder if it avoided referencing him all together - it would only go to show that Lynch has grown weak in his elder years and is resorting to such cripple, trite comic book-adapting tactics as fan service.
I have to agree. To simply erase characters that are associated with bad plotting by fans is the worst route they could follow IMO.
I'm shocked that some people are considering (some even hoping) that Annie will be simply ignored in S3. Like it or not, these characters are part of the timeline. Unless there's a very good reason to erase them that concerns the plot (like alternate reality or whatever), they have to be acknowledged.
Why? It's 25 years later.

So you'd forget someone on account of whom you - for all intents and purposes - lost your mind (or was split in two :) ), just because it's been 25 years? Well, I can see that you would, seeing that you haven't been yourself for these 25 years, but I doubt everyone else around you would.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Agent Earle wrote:Which is why I think it's important for the creators, at least, to know and respect their show's narrative history so that they don't erase persons and plot points simply because they were buried under a pile of fan and critical manure for 25 years.
I doubt David Lynch gives a fuck about that. I just don't think he ever cared much for Windom Earle.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

N. Needleman wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:Which is why I think it's important for the creators, at least, to know and respect their show's narrative history so that they don't erase persons and plot points simply because they were buried under a pile of fan and critical manure for 25 years.
I doubt David Lynch gives a fuck about that. I just don't think he ever cared much for Windom Earle.
Didn't he really (care), though? I have yet to hear a single word about the character come out of Lynch's mouth.
missoulamt
RR Diner Member

Post by missoulamt »

Rewatching the series in its entirety for the first time in many years. What strikes me first and foremost about Windom Earle: his laughter. It makes him come across as a character straight out of MacGyver...
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

And so the shit-slinging continues...
RR Diner Member

Post by 4815162342 »

I will point out that the one time Windom Earle is somewhat scary: the black lips/white face scene in ep 28, not by lynch, but that makeup associated with the black lodge was used in FWWM. I think he found a more disturbing aspect to the character. It does seem notable, though, that from the original script of ep 29 to the final version, the amount of Windom Earle was reduced by probably 90%.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

In Frost's own recent work, when everything seems to set up Windom's majestic appearance, it's Gordon who shows up. Whatever that means.

(It means Gordon won the custody battle for their kid is what :mrgreen: )
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Barracuda wrote: Why? It's 25 years later.
So?
dreamshake
RR Diner Member

Post by dreamshake »

Cooper probably will confront why he failed at the lodge and Annie and Windom Earle play a large part in that. I can't imagine they won't be mentioned as they're a huge part of Cooper's past.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

N. Needleman wrote:
Windom Earle was considered to appear in the subsequent films following FWWM in the Phillip Jeffries/Judy storyline so I'm sure Lynch is fine with him.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:
Windom Earle was considered to appear in the subsequent films following FWWM in the Phillip Jeffries/Judy storyline so I'm sure Lynch is fine with him.
Truly? That's the first time I'm hearing about it.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Agent Earle wrote:
Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
Oh yeah, Robert Engels talked about it a few times. Earle was supposed to be in the Palm Deluxe making business deals with Judy at the same time Jeffries was there.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:
Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
Oh yeah, Robert Engels talked about it a few times. Earle was supposed to be in the Palm Deluxe making business deals with Judy at the same time Jeffries was there.
God, what a shame that didn't come to fruition!
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

kitty666cats wrote: As I will always say, Windom Earle was a great idea conceptually (brilliant ex FBI partner gone absolutely mad), but DAMN was it ever poorly executed!
Yes. Although Twin Peaks was riffing on the supersoaps of the past decade, the Windom Earle material was shockingly badly played and cringeworthy after the dramas of the Laura
Palmer story.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Gabriel wrote:
kitty666cats wrote: As I will always say, Windom Earle was a great idea conceptually (brilliant ex FBI partner gone absolutely mad), but DAMN was it ever poorly executed!
Yes. Although Twin Peaks was riffing on the supersoaps of the past decade, the Windom Earle material was shockingly badly played and cringeworthy after the dramas of the Laura
Palmer story.
You're exaggerating.