The hand shaking

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

The hand shaking

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

So I just finished re watching the series again.

Something I noticed that never got answered was the bits where peoples hands started to suddenly shake...

Did this have to do with the fact that the black lodge was imminently coming or something else?
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
LiAnn
Roadhouse Member

Re: The hand shaking

Post by LiAnn »

From Reflections: An Oral History of Twin Peaks by our very own Brad Dukes:
"I remember now, there was a whole thing in the script about a character feeling weird and I got more and more into ‘the arm’ part of it, and I really liked it. I thought, 'We could shoot a close-up of it, or what if it started to shake and you couldn’t control it?' So I called David and asked him what he would think if some of the characters’ hands shook just slightly. I think we even finished the episode with it. He said, 'Stephen, I’m glad you have your thinking cap on properly!'" — Stephen Gyllenhaal
I'd say your theory is pretty spot-on.
Shloogorgh
RR Diner Member

Post by Shloogorgh »

it's no coincidence that the first thing we see of BOB as he emerges at the end of the episode is his spastic hand
Shazbot

Post by Shazbot »

Shloogorgh wrote:it's no coincidence that the first thing we see of BOB as he emerges at the end of the episode is his spastic hand
Yeah, I've always figured BOB was trying people on. Imagine a BOB-inhabited Pete.
FauxOwl
RR Diner Member

Post by FauxOwl »

Shazbot wrote:
Shloogorgh wrote:it's no coincidence that the first thing we see of BOB as he emerges at the end of the episode is his spastic hand
Yeah, I've always figured BOB was trying people on. Imagine a BOB-inhabited Pete.
I love that idea. Honestly I love the hand shaking as a bit of random weirdness as well... my favorite non-Lynch directed example from the original series. It's interesting how it originated as an inspiration from the director, since TV directors, Lynch excepted of course, generally have to stick to the script and carry out someone else's vision (David Cronenberg recently called TV directors "traffic cops").