How Much of the New Show Will Be Set in Twin Peaks?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

tamygdala
Roadhouse Member

How Much of the New Show Will Be Set in Twin Peaks?

Post by tamygdala »

Generally, a production will commit to either shooting on-location or on set rather than vacillate between the two - for budgetary reasons. Of course nothing has been confirmed but it seems that most of the production, so far, has been on location, of which only five weeks (approximately) were shot in an around North Bend.

Taking in account that Sunday is an off day, that would translate to around 30 days of actual filming.

We know from Peter Deming's tweet last week that the production (on Day 72) is over the hump, so we can expect about 65 more days of filming - totaling 140ish.

From reports posted in the Spoiler section yesterday, the production is still on-location. So if filming has yet to begin on the sets that were constructed for the new season, then close to 50 days, so far, have been shot outside of Twin Peaks.

If all of this adds up then at least a third of the show (and possible more) will take place outside of Twin Peaks.

So what are we to expect other than to lessen our expectations of the familiar?

My own take is that new series will not begin in Twin Peaks --- I don't think we're going to see the same opening credit sequence/music, at least not in the beginning. Like FWWM, I believe we'll be introduced to an entirely new opening/new story that will eventually lead to Twin Peaks. And I think that is the right way to go. Lynch-Frost have cooked up a new mystery, but they won't be playing up the nostalgia angle. This will be something completely original. They won't be making the same mistake that the creators of the new X-Files have apparently made --- just read some of the reviews of the new X-Files iteration --- heavy on exposition/nostalgia/the familiar.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Re: How Much of the New Show Will Be Set in Twin Peaks?

Post by Panapaok »

Well, obviously a part of the show will take place outside of Twin Peaks. I still think that the vast majority will be set in the town, though. First of all, we have clues that they'll probably shoot more in Washington in the Spring. Secondly, shooting in California and LA doesn't mean that the scenes don't take place in Twin Peaks. A huge amount of the original series was shot in LA too. We already know that they are shooting in California for tax reasons as well. It's Twin Peaks, it's about the town and its citizens, the woods, the Laura Palmer murder and everything that happened there. It may start in different locations but it's all about the town and I think the first teaser made it pretty obvious.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Ped
Roadhouse Member

Re: How Much of the New Show Will Be Set in Twin Peaks?

Post by Ped »

For what it's worth, my personal opinion now is that I hope, and kinda in my heart know, that Lynch and Frost won't play it safe. We could go back to Twin Peaks with a body wrapped in plastic in the lake 25 years later and have Cooper investigating with the old gang and maybe romancing Audrey Horne once and for all. That's what us fans probably think we want to see but we won't. Take the new Star Wars movie for example. I'll not spoil the plot for anyone who hasn't saw it but I was so excited for this movie. The return of Han Solo, Princess Leia, Chewie, Luke Skywalker, the millennium falcon! Man I felt like a kid again. However the movie was SO safe and SO nostalgic that, yes, it was a load of fun, but it was also instantly forgettable. My first thoughts were "Damn I just saw a remake of Star Wars. That was nothing new". Lynch has never played it safe. Fire Walk With Me wasn't safe and I know this new series won't be either. We may miss some old faces and old locations that may not pop up again but I know Lynch is creating something special and I cannot wait to be along for the ride.

So to answer your question. I actually have no idea how much of the new series will be set in Twin Peaks, but I have 100% faith in what Lynch and do are creating.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.