New Time Watcher, New Time Fan

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Fly the Coop

New Time Watcher, New Time Fan

Post by Fly the Coop »

Right, this may be a little bit of thinking out loud here and possibly bringing up some "oh god, not another newbie spouting old well trodden theories" sighs from the regulars, apologies in advance if that's the case. I just hope to try and find someone to tell me i'm thinking rubbish and point me in a better direction.

I've done some reading up on theories to try and influence or compare with mine, and after a good few hours post finale (and then again after FWWM) of discussion with friends (they were less enthused about pulling it apart for fun). I have some points I can't seem to shake that they didn't agree with or just didn't care about... possibly the latter. Apologies if this becomes a long slightly rambley message, it's all fresh in my mind and ideas are still whirring round, I'm sure you can all relate to my current stage of Twin Peaks obsession.

I will try to address my thoughts around the idea that Mike, MFAP and The Giant's aim is to try and bring BOB back to the black lodge because he has found a way to not need to return and is running amok with his cream corn feasts to himself. He does this by creating a thread as mentioned by Mike "The thread will be broken Mr. Palmer", This thread being a path through "real-world time" by going from host to host. I will inevitably go a little of piste at times, apologies.

I'd be intrigued to see if we discover that the Giant or Old waiter have a hidden tattoo like the Log Lady or Major Briggs, my idea being that if everything is cyclical then they'll need new mediums to emerge... this light and marking being how they're "chosen". They've both visited one of the lodges, and clearly have a higher connection between the "real world" and the lodges.

BOB's Thread plan:

Since being invited in by Leland when he was a boy (Still not convinced that the scene where Leland explains this as he's dying is metaphorical, i'll save that mini idea rant for another time) has been scheming, he has realised that if he can emotionally manipulate someone (Laura Palmer) into letting him in then he can jump from vessel to vessel to continue living in the real world when his vessel ceases to be of use, be that through damage or capture. (The reasons why he doesn't want to return to the lodge are another train of thought, but I will attempt not to jump around too much) The emotional manipulation is needed because they must be invited and not asked (and of course who in their right mind would invite BOB in). So, in "FWWM" in the train car when BOB/Leland is saying; "I always thought you knew it was me" (From FWWM script) could be construed as the moment of realisation that the plan BOB had to emotionally tear down Laura to allow himself to be "invited". This could have been because BOB thought that Laura saw Leland and not his actual self, therefore thinking she was succumbing to a kind of Stockholm Syndrome which would allow him to manipulate her into using her as a vessel. This is also why he became more desperate and forced his hand as Leland/BOB slowly started realising that she was getting a little more clued up and that he'd attempt one last desperate effort in the train cart.

So when BOB had to kill Laura, because Mike forced his hand and the now knowledge that Laura wasn't going to let him in, this is what led to the "messy" and seemingly unplanned way in which this happened in the train car as I have seen questioned elsewhere. So in which case you'd have to deduce that if BOB kills someone with the ring then he is forced to return to the lodge, which is "now thee wed" link, it was disliked by Mike as to BOB'S plan to go "freestyle of the lodge" so created a way to force him back to share his spoils of garmonbozia. (The origin and reason for the ring being powerful is a bit unknown in my mind, Mike may have made it himself, who knows?!)

Why this means MFAP and The Giant/Old waiter would help Cooper

Bob needed to be brought back to the lodge. If Leland was found out then inevitably they knew BOB would have to discard of this body, and the only place to return to as a spirit form then is the lodge. Once here he cannot leave until he possess a new vessel, outlined here http://www.twinpeaksgazette.com/article ... 6.cfm.html, leaving someone entering the lodge as the only realistic option left, he's stuck there for a little while now.

The Giant tried to warn Cooper of Annie entering in the Miss Twin Peaks competition, this is because if Annie won (which they knew she would) she would be taken to the lodge by Windom, this would make Cooper emotionally vulnerable to BOB or the black lodge in trying to break him down as he undergoes his test. If any of the other girls were taken then he wouldn't be reminded of the parallels between Annie and Caroline allowing him to stay emotionless. The first words we here Cooper say in the lodge are "Annie?!", indicating she was the catalyst for the first breaking of his resolve. This meant that BOB was given a vessel out of the lodge to try and stay out again.

The MFAP saying "Wow, Bob, wow!" - Basically acknowledging and is saying: "You're going to be out again already?! Annoyingly Impressive."

Thinking about why BOB wants Cooper and not just using the body of Windom

Cooper has displayed "clairvoyant" ability which allow himself to communicate with the Giant and generally be a right pain for BOB. Taking him out of the picture is beneficial.

Cooper is in a position of respect, authority and power. A perfect position for BOB to "work" from.

Perhaps most importantly... Cooper's link to Audrey. BOB wants a young woman, and Cooper already has a smitten 18 year old interested.

The MFAP in waiting room

Everything about this scene felt likt the MFAP was trying to compose and prepare Cooper to help him avoid failure. He warned him about dopplegangers when warning him next time it won't be him he sees. He was visibly pleased when the coffee represented a hard cold reflection of his emotion, only for it to turn liquid and oil like, (A Bob representation theory that's been discussed a few places) which changes the mood of the MFAP.

The part when the old waiter first shows up out of nowhere was rather telling when I watched it a second time. How the facial expressions change, and the use of Halleluja between the two is also interesting on two fronts.

1) It could be deemed they are rejoicing with each other at his lack of reaction and acceptance of coffee. He may yet stand up to BOB and not give him the vessel he desires. 2) (Less ties into the theory, more just a quirk) On a re watch of one episode by chance; The scene where Leland is (new hair Leland) singing Hallelujah at the piano during dinner. It was the lyrics that stood out for me on the second watch;

"Forget your troubles, come on get happy
You better chase all your cares away
Shout Hallelujah, come on get happy
Get ready for the judgment day"

The sun is shinin', come on get happy
The Lord is waitin' to take your hand
Shout Hallelujah, come on get happy
We're going to the promise land

We're headin' across the river
To wash your sins away in the tide
It's all so peaceful on the other side"

Facial expressions:
Image Watching Cooper in an almost anticipatory manner
Image Carefully studying now the Old man has arrived with coffee
Image This expression then slowly changes becoming more happily animated, Cooper's doing something to his liking... namely nothing, the non reaction is the correct one, he looks ready and full of resolve
Image Rejoicing together or expressing he's ready for the test

Ok, this has got out of control... I need to stop this message right now!! Sorry guys and gals!
Attachments
mfap 4.jpg
mfap 4.jpg (24.36 KiB) Viewed 7791 times
mfap 3.jpg
mfap 3.jpg (24.84 KiB) Viewed 7791 times
mfap 2.jpg
mfap 2.jpg (29.07 KiB) Viewed 7791 times
mfap 1.jpg
mfap 1.jpg (24.38 KiB) Viewed 7791 times
Last edited by Fly the Coop on Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:05 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup, collides with ham"
wAtChLaR
RR Diner Member

Re: New Time Watcher, New Time Fan

Post by wAtChLaR »

hello and welcome
it's always exciting for me to see others delve into this world wholeheartedly

p.s. and super cute username
i'm a moderator's nightmare

i know i know
Fly the Coop

Post by Fly the Coop »

Ha, thanks. One of those, "shit, I need a username..." moments.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Hi Fly the Coop; FYI, you need to add your pictures as attachments or they won't stay in your post.
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
Fly the Coop

Post by Fly the Coop »

why thank you! They've gone into reverse order now, but no matter!
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

There's another reason for "Hallelujah"...34 years before Twin Peaks that same actor (Hank Worden) played a character named Mose Harper in the classic western The Searchers. Mose's trademark in the film was to do an Indian whoop and then declare "Hallelujah!" - exactly as Worden does in this scene! Obviously it serves in-world purposes as well but I always loved that bit of meta-reference.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

LostInTheMovies wrote:There's another reason for "Hallelujah"...34 years before Twin Peaks that same actor (Hank Worden) played a character named Mose Harper in the classic western The Searchers. Mose's trademark in the film was to do an Indian whoop and then declare "Hallelujah!" - exactly as Worden does in this scene! Obviously it serves in-world purposes as well but I always loved that bit of meta-reference.
Does he say Hallelujah after whooping in The Searchers? I can't remember, and I even made the attached image. :lol:

I can definitely tell you that he says "Thank you kindly" at least once in The Searchers. The scene in the upper right of my image collage is about where it happens, though I think he might say it more than once.
TP_Old_Mose_Harper_mix(small).jpg
TP_Old_Mose_Harper_mix(small).jpg (320.68 KiB) Viewed 7670 times
Tenel

Post by Tenel »

When the old waiter does the American Indian ‘woo woo woo’ sound (with his hand over his mouth), it always reminded me of the other 'Indian’' in the show, Ben Horne's emotionally disturbed son, who has taken a liking to wearing the American Indian chief's feathered headdress.
The spoken ‘hallelujah’ reminded me of the incident at Laura Palmer’s funeral where Ben Horne’s son said ‘amen’, followed by Bobby Briggs yelling out ‘amen’. The midget and the old waiter both say ‘hallelujah’, and Horne’s son and Bobby Briggs both say ‘amen’. Both ‘hallelujah’ and ‘amen’ are religious words so there seems to be a curious parallel here.
I’m not sure if there is a connection anywhere here, perhaps there is, but I can’t find it.

Just to belabour the point- and read too much into things LOL- I noticed that all three (the midget, Laura Palmer, and the elderly waiter) in the Black Lodge make odd gestures.
1. The midget gets up off his chair and behaves, with his right foot, as if he is stamping out a cigarette on the ground. This is an odd action and there is no reason for it, and it is performed shortly after the midget says to Dale cooper, ‘next time you see me it won’t be me’. (I got the sense that he was stamping out his old identity, signing off, if you will.)
2. Laura Palmer winks at Dale Cooper and does that odd gesture of clicking her fingers (in reverse). What is that about?
3. The elderly waiter, in a moment of quasi-farce, does the ‘woo woo woo’ cowboys and Indians sound (hand over mouth), then says ‘hallelujah’.

All three of these incidents are odd. I’m not sure if they mean anything; they might. Maybe someone else can offer some illumination.