How will Sheryl Lee fit into the new series? (SPOILERS)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Hallelujah

How will Sheryl Lee fit into the new series? (SPOILERS)

Post by Hallelujah »

Do you think Laura will still be in the Black Lodge, returned to our reality, or do you think Sheryl Lee will be playing another doppelganger like Maddy, and which do you think would be the best for the continuation of the story and the series?
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Re: How will Sheryl Lee fit into the new series?

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

Are we supposed to do spoiler alerts in these threads? If so, what I'm talking about may be considered spoilery, so don't read any further please...

The spy photos we've seen of Laura seem to suggest the possibility she's returned to life somehow. If so, I think it's most dramatically interesting for her to be the real Laura, not a doppleganger, who experienced all the abuse and even death. This would make for a very unique internal struggle -- how does one live life again knowing they were murdered and sexually abused by their father?

On top of that, the reason she may have been returned to life is to help Cooper finally destroy/catch Bob. She's likely perceptually sensitive to the Black Lodge denizens, so she would make a good co-investigator -- and romantic interest? -- for Cooper.

So I would prefer this option to Lee returning as a new character or doppleganger, for the reasons stated above: it would probably be more dramatically interesting.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Re: How will Sheryl Lee fit into the new series? (SPOILERS)

Post by Soolsma »

I believe Laura's (true) spirit is in the white lodge, which is portraited at the end of FWWM.

Her appearance will be in dream-like scenario's, maybe Maddy's as well.

Laura Palmer is dead.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Robot Butler
RR Diner Member

Post by Robot Butler »

By FWWM, the Twin Peaks universe has become overtly supernatural, rather than just having the mystic undertone of the first season. So I think Laura is coming back to life. It inverts the premise of the original and brings it all back home to Laura. Bringing a fan favorite back is the kind of thing a soap opera would do on its 25th anniversary. You could even say they've foreshadowed it with Catherine Martell and Andrew Packerd. If Dale is exiting the Lodge, it isn't too far fetched Laura could leave with him somehow, in some form. Laura's struggles can be seen as a bit Christ like in FWWM, so they've certainly set the stage for her resurrection.

And if I'm wrong... so it goes. :lol:
Last edited by Robot Butler on Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aqua
Roadhouse Member

Post by Aqua »

Would agree that laura (i.e. a girl who was physically portrayed and killed/found in the film/series) is dead - the question perhaps that can be treated as open is whether the soul of hers has indeed reached heaven or nirvana (as dl is presumably playing with hindu beliefs, and nirvana is the place purified souls go after death there). Cause if not - and she is either in purgatory of sorts, lodge, somewhere in between (the 'what does she see' trailer) - then that's a potential topic for reincarnation, again according to hindu perhaps, although am no expert.

That's the more clear part, and then there was a theory mentioned in the spoiler thread - that maybe a hidden double (a dopp? twin sister? sister from another father/mother, which maddy could have been also?) existed and remained. With this, the aspect dubbed 'holy double f' by watchlar shall not be forgotten - mike's laura-like cousin from coop's dream, if there ever was one indeed, representing mike's kin of sorts, may have been involved as also potentially existing in the real world as a person. Either being one of the ancestors (and thus giving a phys appearance), or she herself could have been a sister, as born through leland/bob or sarah - to be the portrayed adult lady pictured
Last edited by Aqua on Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wAtChLaR
RR Diner Member

Post by wAtChLaR »

man 2017 can't get here fast enough
i'm a moderator's nightmare

i know i know
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

Robot Butler wrote:By FWWM, the Twin Peaks universe has become overtly supernatural, rather than just having mystic the undertone of the first season. So I think Laura is coming back to life. It inverts the premise of the original and brings it all back home to Laura. Bringing back a fan favorite back is the kind of thing a soap opera would do on it's 25th anniversary. You could even say they've foreshadowed it with Catherine Martell and Andrew Packerd. If Dale is exiting the Lodge, it isn't too far fetched Laura could leave with him somehow, in some form. Laura's struggles can be seen as a bit Christ like in FWWM, so they've certainly set the stage for her resurrection.

Great post. I like the idea that her return inverts the premise of the original -- instead of who killed Laura, one of the driving questions is how is she alive again and why?

I also agree this type of thing is part of the soap opera genre, and Andrew and Catherine have already foreshadowed such a possibility.

And, yes -- a female version of Christ is also very interesting and has lots of narrative potential.

All of these things show the great dramatic and narrative potential of the real Laura returning. It's much more interesting than an evil doppleganger, whose behavior would be pretty predictable even if wickedly fun.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
savetheoneyoulove

Post by savetheoneyoulove »

hello all

very new here - will introduce soon-

just wanted to post this Q&A from a fan fest youtube upload

the audience member asks the cast if they could play another role from the series, who would it be and sheryl's answer is pretty interesting in regard to this thread topic

she says she would like to play the 3rd character that david lynch had "promised" for her after being killed for the 2nd time

watch here if you like (around the 5:32 mark - and wow her reaction is short but majorly exciting)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTayCh__vZ4

-kevin
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Post by Harry S. Truman »

For all have said people who saw that scene, I'm almost sure she's playing Laura. apart, that is dramatically much more interesting for history, and also mysterious.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Aqua wrote:Would agree that laura (i.e. a girl who was physically portrayed and killed/found in the film/series) is dead - the question perhaps that can be treated as open is whether the soul of hers has indeed reached heaven or nirvana (as dl is presumably playing with hindu beliefs, and nirvana is the place purified souls go after death there). Cause if not - and she is either in purgatory of sorts, lodge, somewhere in between (the 'what does she see' trailer) - then that's a potential topic for reincarnation, again according to hindu perhaps, although am no expert.

That's the more clear part, and then there was a theory mentioned in the spoiler thread - that maybe a hidden double (a dopp? twin sister? sister from another father/mother, which maddy could have been also?) existed and remained. With this, the aspect dubbed 'holy double f' by watchlar shall not be forgotten - mike's laura-like cousin from coop's dream, if there ever was one indeed, representing mike's kin of sorts, may have been involved as also potentially existing in the real world as a person. Either being one of the ancestors (and thus giving a phys appearance), or she herself could have been a sister, as born through leland/bob or sarah - to be the portrayed adult lady pictured
I'm definitely no expert either, but I thong nirvana is the term used for Buddhism. Best fit for Hinduism might be...Moksha? (Though I think that's more "beyond life and death" than "after death" and can maybe be attained without dying - not 100% sure about any of this though).
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Since even befor that spoiler news (which I'm convinced Lynch intended as a sort of semi-public teaser) I think there has been speculation on these threads that Laura might come back. And, almost to my surprise (because I was someone who, at least initially, preferred the more "realistic" aspects of FWWM) I really like this idea. I think it has tremendous mythological/allegorical potential - and I wasn't even thinking about the fact that it's a common soap opera trope which makes it kinda brilliant for working on so many levels. It's a much cooler hook than another dead girl washing up on shore, and also an interesting inversion I the original dynamic where the detective explored the mystery of the dead girl - now maybe the "dead girl" will explore the mystery of the detective?

There's been no indication of this whatsoever from the shoot (I think she's only been spotted once or twice) but I would love if Laura had a primary role in the new series, perhaps even (one of?) the protagonist(s), which would certainly be in keeping with Lynch's post-TP work. Regardless, I'm just pleased Sheryl Lee will be back in whatever capacity!
rsngfrce

Post by rsngfrce »

Robot Butler wrote:By FWWM, the Twin Peaks universe has become overtly supernatural, rather than just having the mystic undertone of the first season. So I think Laura is coming back to life. It inverts the premise of the original and brings it all back home to Laura. Bringing a fan favorite back is the kind of thing a soap opera would do on its 25th anniversary. You could even say they've foreshadowed it with Catherine Martell and Andrew Packerd. If Dale is exiting the Lodge, it isn't too far fetched Laura could leave with him somehow, in some form. Laura's struggles can be seen as a bit Christ like in FWWM, so they've certainly set the stage for her resurrection.

Although obviously Mark Frost is involved again, but with David Lynch directing all the episodes, I would personally expect a more FWWM feeling to the new series than the Mark Frost influenced soap opera feeling, so for that reason I don't personally see that happening... :wink:
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

^- The vibe Lynch will be setting as a director won't have that much effect on the script that he and Frost wrote together, at least not for a major plotline like Laura's story could be.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Aqua
Roadhouse Member

Post by Aqua »

LostInTheMovies wrote:
There's been no indication of this whatsoever from the shoot (I think she's only been spotted once or twice) but I would love if Laura had a primary role in the new series, perhaps even (one of?) the protagonist(s), which would certainly be in keeping with Lynch's post-TP work. Regardless, I'm just pleased Sheryl Lee will be back in whatever capacity!
She may still do - was it that the presumed lodge scenes are to be filmed in the closed settings during the last month ot shooting. And reshooting SLee back to a proper semi-stardom status would also be both appropriate and potentially working for her, out of many people (and she in any case deserves this to one or another extent based on the monumental value of the originals and how she took that up at a blink)
Last edited by Aqua on Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
burstintofire

Post by burstintofire »

I'm hoping she gets a substantial role as she is one of the best actresses in TP. She deserves more work and recognition.