"Moving Through Time" - usage in FWWM

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

David Locke
RR Diner Member

"Moving Through Time" - usage in FWWM

Post by David Locke »

This is possibly my favorite Badalamenti piece. It's so beautiful and mysterious and otherworldly, conjuring both relaxing and sinister vibes (very much like a lot of the FWWM soundtrack). I just love the haunting sound of it, it really sounds like something kind of floating gently through time and space, a parallel dimension.

One grievance though. I wish it was used in FWWM more heavily. Maybe I'm forgetting, but isn't the only time we hear this piece in FWWM just a brief bit during the Laura/Bobby basement scene near the end? Or is there maybe one other tiny bit in the Palmer living room or something? Regardless, it's very small. I just feel this beautiful track would lend itself to the images and world of FWWM perfectly and I kinda wish Lynch had used it more. I can't recall, was it more prominent in the Missing Pieces at all?

EDIT: just remembered that it's (I think) also heard briefly when Laura is in her bedroom in lingerie snorting coke etc, near the end of the film. So maybe two or three uses overall? Just wonder how it'd be if Lynch had synced it to an almost entire scene like with the Pink Room or Voice of Love or others.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Re: "Moving Through Time" - usage in FWWM

Post by Soolsma »

What? It's played during the scene in which Laura see's the angel dissappearing, writing in her diary on bed and taking coke the last evening she's alive. It's prominently featured!

It's truly my favorite piece in all of the TP soundtrack, it's so hauntingly beautiful.

I think really, really, good thematic music shouldn't be over used either, it's fine like it is.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
David Locke
RR Diner Member

Post by David Locke »

Soolsma wrote:What? It's played during the scene in which Laura see's the angel dissappearing, writing in her diary on bed and taking coke the last evening she's alive. It's prominently featured!

It's truly my favorite piece in all of the TP soundtrack, it's so hauntingly beautiful.

I think really, really, good thematic music shouldn't be over used either, it's fine like it is.
Nevermind, yeah, that's the scene I remembered in my edit. I just didn't recall it being so long but it's been a little while since I've seen that scene so maybe I'm wrong. I do agree that good music shouldn't be overused, but then look how long the Pink Room plays! ;) I guess I just love MTT so much I would have liked to hear it even more in the film.
wAtChLaR
RR Diner Member

Post by wAtChLaR »

Soolsma wrote:What? It's played during the scene in which Laura see's the angel dissappearing, writing in her diary on bed and taking coke the last evening she's alive. It's prominently featured!

uber dreamy
i can listen on repeat
i'm a moderator's nightmare

i know i know
OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by OK,Bob »

I'm pretty sure the tune played only once in the movie. Started during the scene in the basement with Bobby and continued as we saw Laura say goodnight and then call James from her room and witness the angel's disappearance from the painting...
"OK, Bob. OK, BOB. OK." -Audrey Horne
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

It's the song that played as we watched Laura descend into her final nightmare. Haunting, tragic, beautiful. I really believe it was titled as symbolism for her fate being tied to the future.

-Mordeen

P.S. My sig. . .
Moving Through Time. . .
wAtChLaR
RR Diner Member

Post by wAtChLaR »

:(

i know i know
David Locke
RR Diner Member

Post by David Locke »

I think it's telling how there's no adults in that painting. It's like an idealized fantasy for Laura, an angelic world free of abuse and torment.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

David Locke wrote:This is possibly my favorite Badalamenti piece. It's so beautiful and mysterious and otherworldly, conjuring both relaxing and sinister vibes (very much like a lot of the FWWM soundtrack). I just love the haunting sound of it, it really sounds like something kind of floating gently through time and space, a parallel dimension.

One grievance though. I wish it was used in FWWM more heavily. Maybe I'm forgetting, but isn't the only time we hear this piece in FWWM just a brief bit during the Laura/Bobby basement scene near the end? Or is there maybe one other tiny bit in the Palmer living room or something? Regardless, it's very small. I just feel this beautiful track would lend itself to the images and world of FWWM perfectly and I kinda wish Lynch had used it more. I can't recall, was it more prominent in the Missing Pieces at all?

EDIT: just remembered that it's (I think) also heard briefly when Laura is in her bedroom in lingerie snorting coke etc, near the end of the film. So maybe two or three uses overall? Just wonder how it'd be if Lynch had synced it to an almost entire scene like with the Pink Room or Voice of Love or others.
Someone on YouTube described the bit at the end as "the spirits talking to each other" which I just love. It's such a subtle track. I always liked it but would never have selected it as my favorite piece on the soundtrack initially - now it's up there but it took dozens of listens before I really caught on to the way the song evolves as it goes along, developing and deepening the motif. Would love to read an instrumental breakdown of it, in layman's terms though as I'm no musicologist.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Errr... How do you mean instrumental breakdown? I am a musician so I'll give it a go anyway..

It starts with TP's iconic vibraphone until the drums (brushed), double bass, piano and cello kick in. The vibraphone basically lays down a very steady atmosheric melody, while the piano and cello jam together in a not too much but kinda jazzy style, occasionally accentuating the main melody but moving freely besides that.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

The vibraphone is a kind of huge xylophone with fans blowing against it from 2 directions, causing the 'whoowoowoowoowoowoo' effect.
wAtChLaR
RR Diner Member

Post by wAtChLaR »

Soolsma wrote:The vibraphone is a kind of huge xylophone with fans blowing against it from 2 directions, causing the 'whoowoowoowoowoowoo' effect.
it's one of my favorite instruments

i know i know
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Yeah, mine too. Too bad I have only managed to get my hands on a digital soundalike for my electric piano so far. I'd be thrilled to play an instrument like that, but it's dang costly.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Soolsma wrote:Errr... How do you mean instrumental breakdown? I am a musician so I'll give it a go anyway..

It starts with TP's iconic vibraphone until the drums (brushed), double bass, piano and cello kick in. The vibraphone basically lays down a very steady atmosheric melody, while the piano and cello jam together in a not too much but kinda jazzy style, occasionally accentuating the main melody but moving freely besides that.
Thanks, this is what I had in mind! My favorite part is near the end where the cello (I assume) starts to kind of take over.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

LostInTheMovies wrote:Thanks, this is what I had in mind! My favorite part is near the end where the cello (I assume) starts to kind of take over.
As I've recently starred jamming along to the piece, I'd like to add that I've discovered that the song is constantly shifting from major (in western culture generally thought of as happy, uplifting) to minor (sad, mysterious). A technique used to create a melodramatic feel, also common in for example blues music.

Thought you'd like to hear :)