"Moving Through Time" - usage in FWWM

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Re: "Moving Through Time" - usage in FWWM

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Reading this whole thread makes me want to hear the song right now
Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

Me too. It's given me a new appreciation for it. Thanks.
When Jupiter and Saturn meet...
David Locke
RR Diner Member

Post by David Locke »

Yeah nice posts in here, guys. I like the observation by Soolsma that the song is constantly oscillating between major and minor. It sounds like it -- it veers towards slight uplift or renewal one moment, and then back to dark mysteriousness the next. On the whole, though, it maintains this excellent balance -- it's neither super-dark (like, say, Dark Mood Woods), nor is it particularly "happy" (like, say, Shelly). It's a very unique sound. And, as noted, I love the way the double-bass ramps up in the final minute or two. There's just something special about this recording, it stands alone even from the other TP soundtrack. In a word, it's magical.
Dead Dog
RR Diner Member

Post by Dead Dog »

This and Dark Mood Woods are simply remarkable. I have to remind myself periodically not to over-indulge, so that I don't grow numb to these songs and ruin them-- as I've done to so many in the past.
David Locke
RR Diner Member

Post by David Locke »

Dead Dog wrote:This and Dark Mood Woods are simply remarkable. I have to remind myself periodically not to over-indulge, so that I don't grow numb to these songs and ruin them-- as I've done to so many in the past.
Yup, gun to my head I'd say MTT and DMW are my two favorite pieces of music from the entire series and film. Speaking of not over-indulging, I love the way that because DMW was composed specifically for Episode 29, its power hasn't been diluted by over-use or previous exposure by the time we first hear it at the finale's opening. Then it's used heavily throughout the ep, but not too much so; and we only hear it once in the film, I believe (in the transition shot of trees/mountains between the Partyland scene and the next day). So it remains an incredibly powerful piece, and definitely one of the most effective intimations of sheer darkness, evil even, I've heard. It's very simple, but oh so effective. I love that quote from Lynch, said when Badalamenti had supposedly first played him the main melody of DMW -- Lynch said something like "everything I've ever wanted to do is right there in that song..." But I digress.
Dead Dog
RR Diner Member

Post by Dead Dog »

Great point about DMW being fresh during Episode 29. It absolutely is, yet so in tune with the series, and in particular that episode, that it isn't obviously different-- if that makes any sense. Alien, yet familiar...'Lynch-ian'.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Yep, it changes from an F-major to F-minor chord about every 3 seconds, or after each 7 notes on the vibraphone.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

David Locke wrote: Yup, gun to my head I'd say MTT and DMW are my two favorite pieces of music from the entire series and film.
I'd have to put Sycamore Trees next to those when making my top list. The impression that left on me the first time geez, what am I saying, it's still sending shivers down my spine as I'm typing.

For me the lyrics of Sycamore Trees somehow sentimentalize or romanticize the evil that the Black Lodge brings. I guess it connects simply being, or with another to the most vile kinds of darkness (and perhaps also most serene and beautiful goodness) that are creeping around behind the corners of reality.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Add "Birds in Hell" to the list. It's tragic and desperate and lilting. Combined with the imagery of the rapidly advancing clock of Laura's rapidly advancing doom. . .stunning. Lynch and Badalamenti are masters of musical imagery.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .