Beyond Season 3?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

cowwithfivelegs
Roadhouse Member

Re: Beyond Season 3?

Post by cowwithfivelegs »

Last edited by cowwithfivelegs on Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
ForKeeps
RR Diner Member

Post by ForKeeps »

I'm not someone who thinks it's likely there will be more but, with that said, even a "closed ending" wouldn't prevent them from doing more episodes, theoretically. The world will still be there with other stories to tell.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

ForKeeps wrote:I'm not someone who thinks it's likely there will be more but, with that said, even a "closed ending" wouldn't prevent them from doing more episodes, theoretically. The world will still be there with other stories to tell.
It's interesting to note how many of Lynch's works occur in "closed" universes, where it's almost impossible to imagine a sequel. IMO, this is true of Eraserhead, Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive, and INLAND EMPIRE (as well as The Elephant Man and The Straight Story). Blue Velvet is the only "original" Lynch film where I can see the possibility of revisiting that universe in a future film.

TP, in contrast, was always designed to be an ongoing story. All of the aforementioned films are told from the POV of one central character (often an incredibly subjective POV, at that), whereas TP is much more an ensemble piece. On the one hand, it seems that in the new season, Frost & Lynch are broadening that world even further by focusing on many new characters and locales that could take a central role in future seasons. On the other hand, though, what we know of the new season seems to support the idea that, for Lynch, Cooper and Laura are the real center of the story. If their stories conclude - either one of them - I tend to doubt that Lynch would want to do anything more in this world.
FrightNight
RR Diner Member

Post by FrightNight »

Heh heh, how interesting this recent news is to me, one of the rare TP nutcases in firm support of TP as a neverending show :) Well, not really neverending, it would have to end sometime, obviously, but, you know, at least 6 seasons worth of storytelling long.

As I've already said, I'm not buying the swan song theory so keenly advertised around these parts for a second. I think they are willing and scheming to do more as we speak ... Of course, the question remains about how season 3 will be received, but even if it won't go down spectacularly (like season 1 did, per instance), the ratings nowadays are far from being the only important thing for the networks and showrunners when considering the series' continuations. And then there's another - much more crucial - question as to what the future seasons could possible be about, as there's a possibility the upcoming season will wrap up Cooper's and Laura's stories once and for all. Anyhow, as someone said, TP is this vast, open universe full of greatly interesting characters, layers, reality planes etc., so I'm not the least bit worried about getting Lynch's & Frost's creative juices flowing to our enthusiasm!
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

FrightNight wrote:I think they are willing and scheming to do more as we speak ...
Do you think they are planning anything as ambitious as this season(s)? I.e. 3 years of work, with them writing everything and Lynch directing everything as one big movie and cutting it into episodes later? And with a huge cast? Or do you think season 3/4 will be akin to the s1 pilot, an ambitious, high-stakes debut followed by less costly episodes (in this case, less costly seasons?).
FrightNight
RR Diner Member

Post by FrightNight »

LostInTheMovies wrote:
FrightNight wrote:I think they are willing and scheming to do more as we speak ...
Do you think they are planning anything as ambitious as this season(s)? I.e. 3 years of work, with them writing everything and Lynch directing everything as one big movie and cutting it into episodes later? And with a huge cast? Or do you think season 3/4 will be akin to the s1 pilot, an ambitious, high-stakes debut followed by less costly episodes (in this case, less costly seasons?).
Do I detect a slight tinge of sarcasm in your questions? :) I only ask because I know you're one of the series-extending-beyond-the-upcoming-season debunkers.

That being said, I really don't have any way of knowing how they are (or indeed if they are) willing to proceed and at this point, with so little clues we're given even about season 3/4, let alone about further developments, I think speculating about such details would be a fool's work ... Let's just say I feel it in the water that this time, it will be happening (again) for quite some time :)
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

I'll be very surprised.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

FrightNight wrote:
LostInTheMovies wrote:
Do I detect a slight tinge of sarcasm in your questions? :) I only ask because I know you're one of the series-extending-beyond-the-upcoming-season debunkers.

That being said, I really don't have any way of knowing how they are (or indeed if they are) willing to proceed and at this point, with so little clues we're given even about season 3/4, let alone about further developments, I think speculating about such details would be a fool's work ... Let's just say I feel it in the water that this time, it will be happening (again) for quite some time :)
No sarcasm intended, just if we're gonna speculate, might as well go all the way with it! Further seasons *will* entail one or the other: another massive logistical effort or a simpler, less grandiose production possibly with Lynch less hands-on. So maybe 3 distinct options total: 1) massive production w/ Lynch; 2) lighter production w/ Lynch; 3) lighter production with Lynch less involved (maybe only directing some episodes). I would pretty much rule out #3 completely - I think Lynch is all or nothing at this point. #1 I'm skeptical of - let's recognize how unprecedented this project is not just for Lynch but for virtually any TV show - but I suppose it's possible if the show does really well. It feels more like a once-in-a-lifetime endeavor especially with Lynch's workpace and age, but we'll see. If the show is to continue #2 seems the most likely: Lynch directing every episode of a more standard, simpler season. It still seems very unlikely to me but makes more sense than the alternative continuations.
Clueless
Roadhouse Member

Post by Clueless »

If Lynch or Frost have even the slightest hankering to continue the series I suppose NOW would be the time to act on it. There are a lot of logistical reasons why I thought it was impossible for a season 3, from the dismantled original sets to the goose chasing of old cast members (not to mention the bothersome and emotionally taxing constraint of writing around deceased or retired actors), painfully long and interrupted deal-makings with television networks and the inevitable curve-balls like last minute re-casts, ect.

It would be at least slightly less difficult to do a S4 now that they have a sort of ground-game, rebuilt sets, closer connections with actors new and old, ect. If the show is massively popular and getting another deal isn't bothersome probably the best time to continue the series with ease would be immediately, or else they would have to dismantle all the sets, have half the more elderly cast retire and some of the new cast move on with their career, ect.

I still really doubt a s4, but in the unlikely chance there is one I think we'll be hearing about it sooner rather than later.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Clueless wrote:It would be at least slightly less difficult to do a S4 now that they have a sort of ground-game, rebuilt sets, closer connections with actors new and old, ect. If the show is massively popular and getting another deal isn't bothersome probably the best time to continue the series with ease would be immediately, or else they would have to dismantle all the sets, have half the more elderly cast retire and some of the new cast move on with their career, ect.
While your point re: the actors is well-taken, I think the exact opposite might also be true. Some of the "retired" actors like Beymer and McGill may have decided to do this season for the "class reunion" aspect of reuniting with beloved collaborators, and of revisiting a world that was special to them. While this season was hopefully a great experience for all, the specialness of that experience might have worn off, and they might be less inclined to keep coming back. I would guess that at least some of those guys only came out of well-deserved retirement because they viewed this as a "once in a lifetime" opportunity. Likewise, movie stars like Seyfried and Watts likely agreed to take lead roles because the gig was pitched to them as a miniseries; even given Lynch's clout / respect, it's difficult to imagine relatively in-demand film actors wanting to tie themselves to a TV show for multiple seasons.

Of course, it sounds like the show will be expanding the TP world in many directions, so none of us can feasibly guess at this point which characters/actors a potential fourth season might focus on.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

LostInTheMovies wrote:
FrightNight wrote:
LostInTheMovies wrote:

No sarcasm intended, just if we're gonna speculate, might as well go all the way with it! Further seasons *will* entail one or the other: another massive logistical effort or a simpler, less grandiose production possibly with Lynch less hands-on. So maybe 3 distinct options total: 1) massive production w/ Lynch; 2) lighter production w/ Lynch; 3) lighter production with Lynch less involved (maybe only directing some episodes). I would pretty much rule out #3 completely - I think Lynch is all or nothing at this point. #1 I'm skeptical of - let's recognize how unprecedented this project is not just for Lynch but for virtually any TV show - but I suppose it's possible if the show does really well. It feels more like a once-in-a-lifetime endeavor especially with Lynch's workpace and age, but we'll see. If the show is to continue #2 seems the most likely: Lynch directing every episode of a more standard, simpler season. It still seems very unlikely to me but makes more sense than the alternative continuations.
This is the key part, I think. Providing the new series doesn't utterly flop, I'm sure Showtime would be delighted to continue it - but Lynch will insist on all out control, and we can be certain he's taken this into his own kind of direction to the point where the new Twin Peaks is just as much his as Mulholland Drive or Inland Empire was.

To continue would mean Lynch putting in an equal amount of time and work (I cannot imagine him stepping back into a showrunning role at all). And while I expect some open ended mythology, I'd be surprised if there wasn't substantial closure on the majority of characters in S3. Would Lynch and Frost want to keep going? I dunno, I think the novelty may wear off a little if they push it even further. It's already been such a huge project and I expect this to be the end.
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Post by Harry S. Truman »

I do not expect a completely closed end. Something will be pending sure, but I hope it is at least possible. It depends on whether Lynch plans to continue the series.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

I'm fairly certain that there won't be a cliffhanger ending. Probably a more closed but ambiguous ending.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

My bet is on a clear ending for the main plot (in the same vein as Inland Empire can be said to have a clear ending, at the very least) and then enough corollary material for fifteen potential spin-offs...
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
TvinPiks

Post by TvinPiks »

So, after today's/yesterday's revelations from Nevins, Lynch & Co. regarding the possibility of a TP continuation beyond these approaching 18 hours of television, I guess we can put this thread to rest as it definitely looks like nothing else will be coming after, at least not from this creative team. What an absolute bummer. Who wants to start a campaign "Bring Back Twin Peaks"? I'm certainly down!