Beyond Season 3?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Re: Beyond Season 3?

Post by N. Needleman »

cowwithfivelegs wrote:In fact, Lynch is on currently on fire and wants to keep going.
Er, what?
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

cowwithfivelegs wrote:In fact, Lynch is on currently on fire and wants to keep going.
Go on...
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

It's early to say, but for the sake of theorizing... :)

The one thing I feel strongly about is that these episodes should be the end of Cooper's story. s2's finale happened and it raised the stakes, no, it skyrocketed the stakes... now that the crux of the matter and the main POV character are one and the same, this story has to take center stage and it needs closure.

What then? I think that in general terms, the town of Twin Peaks and the broader world around it can be a setting to many more stories than Laura's and Coop's. There is strong worldbuilding there that can sustain plenty of unique stories - for example about some of the secondary characters, old and new! I'm sure that Audrey, Donna, James, Bobby, Harry, Josie, Annie, Leland and who knows how many new characters could all be protagonist material in their own unique ways, and that's without even mentioning the stellar federal side of the cast and all the spooky surreal cases they've been involved in.

So in theory, I think that there is place for more stories in this world. But I'm not so sure about the format these stories could be told in. For one, going back to step 1 from a bold, massive, high-stakes finale is... hard to pull off. Very hard to pull off effectively. Then there's the format. They are pushing the TV show format by presenting something new, potentially a game changer. Moving back to the current standard would be weird, wouldn't it? And I get the impression that Lynch, at least, got burned twice and isn't going to attempt the standard showrunner route again. There's nothing wrong with it in general of course, but it may not be a good fit for him and the level of artistic control he likes to have on his projects.

On the other hand, if they were to come up with another innovation they feel comfortable with (a variation on the anthology format, for example! Or more books or whatever), colour me interested!
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
wAtChLaR
RR Diner Member

Post by wAtChLaR »

Panapaok wrote:
wAtChLaR wrote:season 3
then
new feature film please
other worlds to be explored before Lynch departs the planet
Yay! Twin Peaks S3 and then Ronnie Rocket! :D
can you even imagine
i'm a moderator's nightmare

i know i know
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

I think the risk is too great. The risk being that instead of ending with a bang, it ends with a whimper...which is almost what happened the first time before Lynch swooped in to rewrite the finale & make the film.

It's the ending that's the issue for me. Yes, I like a lot of non-Lynch episodes and feel they add to the overall texture but in large part that's because they are embedded in a larger structure created by him & Frost, even to the point of later entries subtly ret-conning what came before. And that structure almost got away from them before, hence their approach to 2017.
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

I think we should be excited and grateful for the fact that we are getting any kind of third season AT ALL. There's nothing "measly" about it!!! The fact that we are getting any kind of continuation of Twin Peaks AT ALL after all of these years/decades is astounding and breathtaking, let alone an entire (super-sized) season's worth! And given what a massive, difficult, Herculean task this season seems to have been for all involved (including the network), I'm not holding my breath for a fourth season, but I guess one never knows. If you'd told me at any point between Sept. 1992 - Sept. 2014 that we'd be getting a third season, I would never have believed you, so I suppose anything is possible! But again, bear in mind we also have absolutely no idea if any of us are even going to like this new season, so I think let's just wait and see how this round goes. Whatever this season proves to be, I don't imagine Lynch tying it all up nicely with a bow and I'm sure it will end on some kind of abstract note with "room to dream" (as per his usual style), but hopefully it won't be on some huge plot cliffhanger this time, either.

Also, the way in which Lynch seems to be peppering the production with cast that calls back to all of his work throughout his filmography gives the impression of this being a final, grand flourish to his career. But hey, if Lynch has had a ball making this, then I say bring on the later-in-life David Lynch career renaissance! (Though I feel like this sort of schedule he's been working on would have to be exhausting to almost anyone. They've been shooting almost non-stop since the beginning of September, and then I'm sure had months of intensive prep before that, and then have still many months of post to come.)
Last edited by TheArm on Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:48 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

LostInTheMovies wrote:I think the risk is too great.
Maybe. But it's Lynch's risk to take now.
TheArm wrote:Also, the way in which Lynch seems to be peppering the production with cast that calls back to all of his work throughout his filmography gives the impression of this being a final, grand flourish to his career.
I agree. That's why I can believe he doesn't want to stop.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

N. Needleman wrote:
LostInTheMovies wrote:I think the risk is too great.
Maybe. But it's Lynch's risk to take now.
Just to clarify, I mean the risk of Twin Peaks continuing without a) anything that feels like a possible ending at the end of each season, and b) Lynch writing & directing at the very LEAST every season finale.

If Lynch & Frost actually want to continue it in the same fashion as this current season, hey, more power to them! In that case, I wonder if we'd also get more feature films or if that would feel redundant given the freedom Lynch has in the TV realm.

Above all, I want Twin Peaks to end on a high note, whenever it ends. That's incredibly, maybe disproportionately, important to me.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I just figure we've already had two high notes against impossible odds and a cultural shift against the show - years later, with it now venerated as legend, I have no reason not to implicitly trust them with a third. ;)
FrightNight
RR Diner Member

Post by FrightNight »

I just figure we've already had two high notes against impossible odds and a cultural shift against the show
Would you care to elaborate a little?
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

FrightNight wrote:
I just figure we've already had two high notes against impossible odds and a cultural shift against the show
Would you care to elaborate a little?
Well, first the show got cancelled (after barely finishing Season 2) and then FWWM was a massive flop that was pilloried for years. But both were, IMO, works of genius and time proved them out.
FrightNight
RR Diner Member

Post by FrightNight »

Ah, I see. I agree, of course, on both counts. There should be a picture of TP in the dictionary next to the word "resilience" :)
DeerMeadowRadio
RR Diner Member

Post by DeerMeadowRadio »

Here is the quote from Frost a few years ago when the new series was announced...

DEADLINE: Is the limited series definitely the end of the Twin Peaks franchise or you would be open for more?

FROST: That’s sort of what we thought the last time, and look what happened. I wouldn’t think it will take us 25 years to decide the next time around — I hope it wouldn’t because it would be a lot harder to do the work then — but I think anything’s possible to be honest, given that this is happening.

Come Listen to Deer Meadow Radio - A Twin Peaks Podcast

http://www.deermeadowradio.libsyn.com/
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

DeerMeadowRadio wrote:Here is the quote from Frost a few years ago when the new series was announced...

DEADLINE: Is the limited series definitely the end of the Twin Peaks franchise or you would be open for more?

FROST: That’s sort of what we thought the last time, and look what happened. I wouldn’t think it will take us 25 years to decide the next time around — I hope it wouldn’t because it would be a lot harder to do the work then — but I think anything’s possible to be honest, given that this is happening.
They're obviously open to continue, if it's received well and if the right ideas come but it's still very early. Let's wait to see what's in store with the novel and S3 and then we can discuss if there is potential for more Twin Peaks.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Given the rumours kicking about that the new book goes right back into the history of the town, centuries ago, maybe, if they decide to do more shows, we could have a season set in the past, perhaps about the founding of the Bookhouse Boys group or the emergence of the evil in the woods...

I'm working my way through the old TV show Dark Shadows at the moment and doing the 1795 flashback storyline. There's a lot to be said for actually seeing characters only vaguely hinted at before and the fact the show features a few different historical storylines as well as 'parallel time' ones gives it a massive scope for a low-budget show. Heck, they're still making audio dramas with the original cast even now, 50 years later, with stories reaching from the 1700s to the 1980s.

Personally, I'd love to see a story set in the days of the foundation of Twin Peaks and how the darkness in the woods affects the citizens of the town throughout history. Lynch's style has generally been about taking a seemingly harmless place and peeling away the layers and a historical tale will get us to the core of the town's dark heart.

Rightly or wrongly (many will likely say wrongly) I see Twin Peaks as the 'spine' of all his works, especially now we're returning there years later. The town is always there and reflects many aspects of his other films. It's a bit like Stephen King's Dark Tower series or Wong Kar-Wai's 2046 in that sense.