Beyond Season 3?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

summertt

Re: Beyond Season 3?

Post by summertt »

:)

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
LonelySoul
RR Diner Member

Post by LonelySoul »

Not so fast. David did say, "Before I said I wasn't going to revisit it, and I did. You never say no. But right now there's no plan for anything more."

I mean, sure, this doesn't seem super optimistic or anything. But when you think about for the last 25 years no one on Earth thought we'd ever see more of this show and now here we are.

Not to mention that just because there are no plans for more show beyond season three doesn't mean there are no plans for anything else. While maybe doubtful, I'm imagining comics, video games or other forms of media could possibly expand the universe. Or more books (as Frost has alluded to). Who knows? This thing just got a release date after being off the air for 26 years. The possibilities are endless!
Come hang out at http://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks. I'm /u/iswitt, one of the moderators.
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

Don't think a spin off series should be totally unexpected either. Remember MD was originally concieved as one, according to Ms Fenn ( I know, but we trust her on that one, don't we?). A spin-off series about one of the new characters could be a reasonable possiblity, i guess.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

bob_wooler wrote:Don't think a spin off series should be totally unexpected either. Remember MD was originally concieved as one, according to Ms Fenn ( I know, but we trust her on that one, don't we?). A spin-off series about one of the new characters could be a reasonable possiblity, i guess.
With the information currently available to us, if and when they want to continue, this is exactly the kind of continuation I'm expecting!
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

18 hours of lynch-directed twin peaks will be enough for me. It will be SO enough that enough is kind of an inadequate word.

(Oh and the 3hr inland empire-style spinoff film starring joan chen)
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

bob_wooler wrote:Don't think a spin off series should be totally unexpected either. Remember MD was originally concieved as one, according to Ms Fenn ( I know, but we trust her on that one, don't we?).
Lynch also confirmed on the Criterion interview and in the Rodley book that the title (and only the title, not the plot) originally gained life as a TP spinoff (I've never heard Lynch verify that it was meant to star Audrey, however). He also says Mark had a deal that he would get paid if Lynch ever used the title (and says he hopes that Mark got some money out of the film!).
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

If the Twin Peaks revival is a huge success, than industry folks will be all over Lynch for more. And Lynch could entertain any offer he wanted. To do a spin-off, a feature, a new series or miniseries, he could make Ronnie Rocket. Who knows? Lynch is someone with a unique vision and i really hope we get more works from him in the near future. Specifically in film and television.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

I'm still beyond fine with 18 episodes continuing and closing out Twin Peaks. I prefer the idea of the creators being able to end it on their own terms, rather than leaving a resolution up in the air in hopes that the series is a success and they get the chance to come back. And realistically, David Lynch is what, 70? When you're getting to that age, planning five, ten years into the future becomes a lot more difficult. I mean, he seems to be in great health, not trying to be morbid. My hope is that Frost/Lynch approached this limited series as if it was their last and only chance to work on Twin Peaks again, and that they've thrown everything they have at it.

My only interest in them doing more is if *immediately* after the run ends, they announced that they *are* doing it. I can't take the drama of multiple years of "Yeah, maybe, maybe we'll come back".

I'd personally prefer they just hedge their bets and say "No, we're never doing more" just so people don't sit there wondering "what-if" or trying to pressure Showtime/Lynch to make more even if they don't particularly want to. And considering it's still labelled a limited series, I assume the plan has always been to treat it as a one-off.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

Rudagger wrote:I'd personally prefer they just hedge their bets and say "No, we're never doing more" just so people don't sit there wondering "what-if" or trying to pressure Showtime/Lynch to make more even if they don't particularly want to. And considering it's still labelled a limited series, I assume the plan has always been to treat it as a one-off.
Well, Lynch did say they have *no* plans of continuing it, and Nevins said it was created as a one-off, close-ended event, using those exact terms. They can't say "no, we're definitely never doing more" with absolute honesty, and Lynch knows that. "..before I said I was never going to revisit it. And I did." I think that's as good an answer as you're going to get.
I'll see you in the trees
Johnsusername
Roadhouse Member

Post by Johnsusername »

Part of me just wants it to end after the new series - surely after 18 hours there'll be some kid of resolution (even if it is the open-ended David Lynch kind).

Then i'll have the three series, the film, the books and the music to keep me entertained for the rest of my days. I'd be happy with that. I don't really want it to go on forever - there needs to be closure!

I'd also like to see Lynch make another feature film (TP or not TP). He's not getting any younger!
Harry Dean Lynch

Post by Harry Dean Lynch »

Panapaok wrote:
ForKeeps wrote:It's hard to say without having any idea what the new show will be and especially how it will end/to what extent it will bring "closure", however much there can be with Twin Peaks.

I'll take anything, obviously, but honestly, I'd rather see Lynch be reinvigorated by the experience of directing this and use the (presumed) success of Twin Peaks to get back into making feature films.
Yeah, that echoes my feelings. I want one season that'll bring closure but without knowing the plot and the context of this new series, I don't really know what kind of ending I should expect. Hopefully there will be a satisfying conclusion and then Lynch might be able to do a movie again, after working in this for more than 5 years total.
Think this is my feelings. I'm not against them doing more Twin Peaks, but it really is a case of wait and see how this one turns out. And like you because it has been so long since Lynch has done a film then I would like that next. At the moment I can't think much beyond S3 of Twin Peaks as to be getting that was such a nice surprise anyway. It does give him a good chance to wrap it up in a decisive way (or at least as much as a Lynch project can be). It maybe a really big gamble to go for a fourth season after that.

Because there are going to be new characters this time around, then I guess there is always the prospect of a season 4.
tmurry
Roadhouse Member

Post by tmurry »

Another vote for Lynch or bust.
up4dabah

Post by up4dabah »

As much as I love Twin Peaks and as glad as I am that it's returning, I'd like to see what else Lynch has to offer in the Autumn of his life. Now that is exciting.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

I'd like the new show broadly to wrap things up; that Ep 29 cliffhanger has bugged me for my entire adult life!

With that in mind, one of the old or new characters from the show might really 'break out' and become successful enough to carry a story on their own. Or, for that matter, there could be stories vaguely discussed in The Secret History worth exploring in greater detail.

I've probably posted before that something like going the Fargo route, telling stories from different eras that broadly stand alone from season to season could work.

The whole point with a town like Twin Peaks is that there are thousands of citizens (none of whom are innocent) with stories to tell through the centuries.

So, some different tales that can run for, say, seasons of ten episodes wouldn't be objectionable to me, but the main story of Cooper and Laura needs closure at this point, even if they're to have new adventures later on.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Gabriel wrote:I'd like the new show broadly to wrap things up; that Ep 29 cliffhanger has bugged me for my entire adult life!

With that in mind, one of the old or new characters from the show might really 'break out' and become successful enough to carry a story on their own. Or, for that matter, there could be stories vaguely discussed in The Secret History worth exploring in greater detail.

I've probably posted before that something like going the Fargo route, telling stories from different eras that broadly stand alone from season to season could work.

The whole point with a town like Twin Peaks is that there are thousands of citizens (none of whom are innocent) with stories to tell through the centuries.

So, some different tales that can run for, say, seasons of ten episodes wouldn't be objectionable to me, but the main story of Cooper and Laura needs closure at this point, even if they're to have new adventures later on.
I agree with everything you say.