Interview with Pamela Gidley

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Brad D
Global Moderator

Re: Interview with Pamela Gidley

Post by Brad D »

Based on every convo I've ever had with anyone on TP, Lynch never, ever popped up on set while someone else was directing. I think he was content to let directors do what they want and only offer feedback after the fact.

In regard to the writers, I don't think Lynch was spending too much time with them either and mostly communicating with Frost (or Peyton later)remotely on the matter during series production. Tricia Brock specifically said Frost walked her through everything, and Jerry Stahl never mentions meeting with Lynch in his book Permanent Midnight... Although his story about Frost is worth the price of admission. FWIW, Michael Parks also said he only met Lynch one time on the way to the bathroom :lol:
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Thanks Brad - it's so fascinating to dig into this stuff.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

N. Needleman wrote:I'm still curious about what Lynch supposedly wanted them to do with Catherine Martell the next morning that Peyton vetoed.
Me too.
DeerMeadowRadio
RR Diner Member

Post by DeerMeadowRadio »

Brad D wrote:Glad you guys liked it. I am Gun shy of self promotion on here :)

Joel, I tried and tried to pin Mark down about the shooting schedule. However, I've got to deduce that filming of Storyville didn't happen till the finale was done shooting in March of 91 because there were quite a few crew members with credits on both projects.

It's amazing how foggy the memories are of nearly EVERYONE after the murder is solved. It's like the Men in Black zapped their brains.
I was looking into this a while back and below are the notes I scribbled down, taken from a few contemporary newspaper articles.

1988 – MF in New Orleans researching Storyville (6/13 article about Chamber Chief)
11/30/89 article says doing pre-production on Storyville …Storyville originally planned for March to May 90 shooting (old Frost interview in newspaper article)

Feb 1990 -- Somehow instead MF films episode of American Chronicles instead of Storyville

4/5/91 -- David Lynch's production partner, Mark Frost , has arrived in New Orleans to direct a feature film about " Storyville ," the Crescent City's legendary turn-of-the-century red-light district which some historians consider the cradle of jazz. The movie, a long-time pet project for Frost , stars James Spader and Jason Robards; shooting is scheduled to begin in about two weeks. Further details were unavailable as we went to press, but additional information will appear as we receive it.

4/13/91 – Frost will begin filming Storyville in 10 days (4/23)

6/1/91 – Storyville scheduled to conclude filming next week
6/29 (also says he returned to LA the past weekend –6/22
Definitely wrapped by 7/5 (returned to LA the week before)

The most interesting thing in this is that Storyville was originally scheduled to shoot a year prior but something happened to bump it a year. Frost ended up doing an American Chronicles in New Orleans at that time... would shooting Storyville a year earlier have gotten Frost to stick around enough to offset some of the problem in the second season?

Come Listen to Deer Meadow Radio - A Twin Peaks Podcast

http://www.deermeadowradio.libsyn.com/
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Re: Deer Meadow - wow, thanks! That is absolutely fascinating. I wonder what happened.

Re: Brad - one other question; I feel 99% sure about this at this point but would like to get your opinion...is Frost definitely misremembering when he says, in the Secrets From Another Place doc, that Russ Tamblyn was one of he "fake" killers? I've never heard him say this elsewhere but I feel like a lot of people believe it because he said it on the Gold Box DVD. Given everything I've read by now I feel 100% sure that they never shot scenes of Jacoby murdering Maddy (even though Frost suggest as much in the Secrets DVD) but he wasn't in that room/told he might be the killer, was he? The fog of season two indeed...

If I had a time machine...
1) Go back and kill Hitler.
2) Save Orson Welles' cut of Magnificent Ambersons.
3) Figure out what the hell happened on season 2.
4) See the Who perform in the mid 60s-late 70s w/ Moon & Entwhistle.

2, 3, and 4 vary depending on my mood (sorry, Orson).
Last edited by LostInTheMovies on Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
sparco1979
Roadhouse Member

Post by sparco1979 »

Great Interview Brad! Loved it - great insights by Pamela on filming FWWM and great memories shared
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

LostInTheMovies wrote:Re: Deer Meadow - wow, thanks! That is absolutely fascinating. I wonder what happened.

Re: Brad - one other question; I feel 99% sure about this at this point but would like to get your opinion...is Frost definitely misremembering when he says, in the Secrets From Another Place doc, that Russ Tamblyn was one of he "fake" killers? I've never heard him say this elsewhere but I feel like a lot of people believe it because he said it on the Gold Box DVD. Given everything I've read by now I feel 100% sure that they never shot scenes of Jacoby murdering Maddy (even though Frost suggest as much in the Secrets DVD) but he wasn't in that room/told he might be the killer, was he? The fog of season two indeed...

2) Save Orson Welles' cut of Magnfiemt Ambersons.
3) Figure out what hell happened on season 2.

I really, really doubt that happened. Russ has a pretty sharp memory and I have to imagine he would have told that story somewhere along the way. Pretty sure Ray or Richard (or a crew member) would have mentioned that as well by now.

Deer Meadow-thanks for those Storyville notes. They confirm my suspicions :D

Thanks sparco! Happy you liked it.
DeerMeadowRadio
RR Diner Member

Post by DeerMeadowRadio »

No problem! The sense I get was Storyville was kind of a troubled production, either because of funding or logistics or both. That is more reading between the lines in some articles and interviews. Brad, does that jive with conversations you have had with MF?
Brad D wrote:
LostInTheMovies wrote:Re: Deer Meadow - wow, thanks! That is absolutely fascinating. I wonder what happened.

2) Save Orson Welles' cut of Magnfiemt Ambersons.
3) Figure out what hell happened on season 2.

I really, really doubt that happened. Russ has a pretty sharp memory and I have to imagine he would have told that story somewhere along the way. Pretty sure Ray or Richard (or a crew member) would have mentioned that as well by now.

Deer Meadow-thanks for those Storyville notes. They confirm my suspicions :D

Thanks sparco! Happy you liked it.

Come Listen to Deer Meadow Radio - A Twin Peaks Podcast

http://www.deermeadowradio.libsyn.com/
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

DeerMeadowRadio wrote:No problem! The sense I get was Storyville was kind of a troubled production, either because of funding or logistics or both. That is more reading between the lines in some articles and interviews. Brad, does that jive with conversations you have had with MF?
Basically. Like I said, there were quite a few crew members that worked on both TP and Storyville, so I couldn't have imagined them filming at the same time. Joel - I agree about that time machine!
squealy
Roadhouse Member

Post by squealy »

DeerMeadowRadio wrote:Feb 1990 -- Somehow instead MF films episode of American Chronicles instead of Storyville
Holy cow, American Chronicles -- I forgot this ever existed! I haven't seen one reference to it nor has it otherwise entered my brain since 1990.