Using unseen material from the old series

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Boy
Roadhouse Member

Using unseen material from the old series

Post by Boy »

From the beginning when I heard that Twin Peaks was back, I've been playing with thoughts that could Lynch use some of the stuff from the old days we haven't even seen before? Is it possible he's kept something relevant or unused material in secret?

The problems I see with this is that they shot the series to film and now they are digital.
But CBS owns rights, right? Could they use any? And Lynch has gone through the old material for the Missing Pieces, and really liked it. Even so much to release the deleted scenes on blu-ray. Maybe he found something useful?

Also, that Showtime teaser with Michael Anderson dancing, I don't remember seeing that shot from that angle before. Am I just delusional?

What are your thoughts?
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Re: Using unseen material from the old series

Post by Panapaok »

CBS owns the rights of Twin Peaks and it's up to Lynch to use old footage if he wants. We've speculated that he could use Frank Silva's old footage to bring BOB back to life. Besides that, I can't think why would he go back and use old footage, after 8 months of filming new stuff.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Boy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Boy »

Panapaok wrote:CBS owns the rights of Twin Peaks and it's up to Lynch to use old footage if he wants. We've speculated that he could use Frank Silva's old footage to bring BOB back to life. Besides that, I can't think why would he go back and use old footage, after 8 months of filming new stuff.
I mean for reasons exactly like that. Or dream sequences.

I think there is a possibility but the reason should be important.
Valaquen
Roadhouse Member

Post by Valaquen »

Seeing old footage of Silva would really be like seeing a ghost. I hope Lynch dives into some old reels for footage he never used (I believe the shot of BOB racing towards the camera in the season 2 pilot was originally shot for season 1 or the pilot?)
saygoodbyetojack
Roadhouse Member

Post by saygoodbyetojack »

I could be mistaken but didn’t Dugpa say just after the missing pieces was released that they had incorporated all surviving footage from the series/FWWM into the blu ray box set in one form or another (deleted scenes/atmospherics) after an exhaustive search.

I think he mentioned that any sub-standard footage was rejected by Lynch but absolutely everything else they found, that he was happy with quality wise, was already included in the box set.

So there may not be any unseen material to use from back in the day.

I hope im not miss-quoting him here by the way! Ha ha
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Valaquen wrote:Seeing old footage of Silva would really be like seeing a ghost. I hope Lynch dives into some old reels for footage he never used (I believe the shot of BOB racing towards the camera in the season 2 pilot was originally shot for season 1 or the pilot?)
That scene of BOB is in the script for Episode 1. Sarah sees BOB racing towards her in the hospital corridor after she embraces Donna. For some reason, Lynch decided to change that to the shot of BOB behind Laura's bed.
I'm not sure if they shot the hospital scene during Episode 1 but decided to drop it and use it later, or if they decided to shoot later as they knew it wouldn't be used then.
Last edited by Agent Sam Stanley on Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

saygoodbyetojack wrote:I could be mistaken but didn’t Dugpa say just after the missing pieces was released that they had incorporated all surviving footage from the series/FWWM into the blu ray box set in one form or another (deleted scenes/atmospherics) after an exhaustive search.

I think he mentioned that any sub-standard footage was rejected by Lynch but absolutely everything else they found, that he was happy with quality wise, was already included in the box set.

So there may not be any unseen material to use from back in the day.

I hope im not miss-quoting him here by the way! Ha ha
I could be mistaken too (if I am, Dugpa please come here and correct me) but I believe he was talking about deleted scenes and the alternate version of Maddy's murder with Ben Horne. Some people were saying that those scenes could still be somewhere, and he said no, that they looked everywhere and they don't exist anymore.

As for surviving footage, maybe Lynch saved some stuff for the new show. I remember someone said that they did find the footage of BOB racing towards the camera, used for Ronette's nightmare in the season 2 premiere, but decided not to include in the box set for some reason.
Last edited by Agent Sam Stanley on Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Boy wrote: Also, that Showtime teaser with Michael Anderson dancing, I don't remember seeing that shot from that angle before. Am I just delusional?
That alternate angle of Mike dancing is the same we see in the Atmospherics in the Entire Mystery set.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

To me the scariest early shot of BOB is actually not used in the show proper, IIRC but has been seen in some BTS features - the medium shot panning across Laura's bedroom and then finding him behind the bed. That's much more frightening to me than the zoom-in close-up used in Episode 1.

The running in Episode 8 is terrifying, especially the insane ending where it closes on his teeth snapping down. I've never seen anything like that on TV (or most film) before or since.
Last edited by N. Needleman on Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

N. Needleman wrote:To me the scariest early shot of BOB is actually not used in the show proper, IIRC but has been seen in some BTS features - the medium shot panning across Laura's bedroom and then finding him behind the bed. That's much more frightenng to me than the zoom-in close-up used in Episode 1.
If you mean the pan shot used in the European ending of the pilot, I'm right there with you.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Oh yes, I think it was there. To me that's what should've been subbed in but I guess most people find the shot in ep 1 terrifying.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

The latest series of The X-Files proved that even old footage that appeared in the original shows, judiciously used, can be very impactful on a scene.

There aren't many modern series that have access to material with actors playing their actual role from many years before, as opposed to complex CGI de-ageing and prosthetic work.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Agent Sam Stanley wrote: That scene of BOB is in the script for Episode 1. Sarah sees BOB racing towards her in the hospital corridor after she embraces Donna. For some reason, Lynch decided to change that to the shot of BOB behind Laura's bed.
I'm not sure if they shot the hospital scene during Episode 1 but decided to drop it and use it later, or if they decided to shoot later as they knew it wouldn't be used then.
I believe the scripted version would be something like this

Last edited by Agent Sam Stanley on Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

That's a very neat behind the scenes nugget.

I am glad that they went with the closeup of BOB in the end. The hospital shot works much better in the murder scene.
OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by OK,Bob »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
I believe the scripted version would be something like this

[/quote]
One detail I always liked about this scene: at about 36 seconds into this clip - foreshadowing Laura's face superimposed on Donna's face - you can see Donna's face reflected in Laura's portrait on the table behind the sofa.
"OK, Bob. OK, BOB. OK." -Audrey Horne