Showtime Re-broadcast of Original Series

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Re: Showtime to Re-broadcast Original Series Early Next Year

Post by N. Needleman »

ForKeeps wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:More and more I am convinced (by nothing more than my own mind, of course) that it will be daily or close to it - that allows Showtime to create a relentless viral buzz and hype train. "Twin Peaks Month," etc. Articles on every site about every episode, reliving the entire phenomenon.
Do the websites have a say in this or are you just deciding their content for them?
Naturally, don't I always?

On a slightly more serious note (not really), the reason I believe this is because it's generally true. We all know how popcult sites work with these kind of hype trains and PR pushes - they follow and they follow with dedication, because parsing the minutiae moment by moment drives their revenue. A daily TP content stream is printing money for them. I don't think there's any doubt that sites like Vulture, etc. would do this as the buzz around the show builds - whether people love it or hate it on arrival or both at once, TP 2017 is now one of the most anticipated TV events of this decade. And when it comes to media the form vs. media the industry the beast feeds itself, there's nothing wrong with that golden circle.
ForKeeps wrote:I also don't know why some of you seem to think that there's going to be teasers upon teasers. It's clear that Lynch wants to reveal as little as humanly possible (while still also promoting the show properly).
I don't think they're going to give away the store. I do think that come January and the reruns we will be getting regular promotion of a kind, just as we did on the original show and just as tightly controlled, edited and regulated by Lynch/Frost. They will want people to watch these reruns, and to do so I suspect they will seed the broadcasts with new content running as bumpers. The material will likely be scant and elliptical, but I do think we will get fuller teasers and/or trailers shortly before they begin the reairing of the original series, and possibly during that interval.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by OK,Bob »

For what it's worth, the days of the week and the dates of the month are the same in 2017 as they were in 1989. It would be possible to release the re-runs starting Friday, February 24 and conclude (the series) Monday, March 27, coinciding with the actual dates covered in the first two season... I'm not betting on it, but it has a nerdy appeal.
"OK, Bob. OK, BOB. OK." -Audrey Horne
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

OK,Bob wrote:For what it's worth, the days of the week and the dates of the month are the same in 2017 as they were in 1989. It would be possible to release the re-runs starting Friday, February 24 and conclude (the series) Monday, March 27, coinciding with the actual dates covered in the first two season... I'm not betting on it, but it has a nerdy appeal.
Oh yeah that is pretty cool. And if they run the film in Tuesday, the series premieresnon Wednesday which I still think has sentimental value for them (all things being equal which, of course, they aren't - but we are talking Lynch here so who knows). If only Laura had said "I'll see you again in 28 years"! ;)
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

OK,Bob wrote:For what it's worth, the days of the week and the dates of the month are the same in 2017 as they were in 1989. It would be possible to release the re-runs starting Friday, February 24 and conclude (the series) Monday, March 27, coinciding with the actual dates covered in the first two season... I'm not betting on it, but it has a nerdy appeal.
Don't forget to add a showing of Fire Walk with Me in there somewhere.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Post by Harry S. Truman »

It would be a very nice coincidence. and who knows, may be issued so that way, and would end in April, when almost everyone expects the series.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Problems would arise though, in that episodes 6 & 7 take place on the same day, and 17 skips 3 days. So if they truly stuck to the dates, they'd have to be ok with a really weird schedule!

But yeah, that is amazing that 2017 has the same weekday-date alignments as 1989.
Chester Desmond
Roadhouse Member

Post by Chester Desmond »

I just hope they air the log lady intros, do we know if they are doing that?
Hang loose, Houlies
BendOregon

Post by BendOregon »

I hope that the teasers featuring old footage (Laura & MFAP) don't represent how the series re-airing is going to look, as the image from those teasers have clearly been stretched to fullscreen 16:9 and in the case of the announcement teaser, cutting off the top of Laura's head.

bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

The less we can see of that wig, the better :lol:
But seriously, I don't think they'll do that.
Sidgwick
Roadhouse Member

Post by Sidgwick »

Without starting a debate on the merits or lack thereof of latter S2, there's enough of a stigma about it to to deduce that going weekly might not be in Showtime's interests. Newcomers may not wait a week to see whether or not that guy Nadine throws in the air falls back to earth. More fool them, maybe, but producers will listen to nothing but general consensus.
AgentCoop
Roadhouse Member

Post by AgentCoop »

Sidgwick wrote:Without starting a debate on the merits or lack thereof of latter S2, there's enough of a stigma about it to to deduce that going weekly might not be in Showtime's interests. Newcomers may not wait a week to see whether or not that guy Nadine throws in the air falls back to earth. More fool them, maybe, but producers will listen to nothing but general consensus.
Maybe Showtime will run those mid-Season 2 episodes with a CNN-type crawl at the bottom saying "We know, we know...Stick with it, guys...It's worth it..." :lol:
I'm an admin for The Genius Of David Lynch, Facebook's best DL group. Hit us up to join: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1374245592894483/
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Sidgwick wrote:Without starting a debate on the merits or lack thereof of latter S2, there's enough of a stigma about it to to deduce that going weekly might not be in Showtime's interests. Newcomers may not wait a week to see whether or not that guy Nadine throws in the air falls back to earth. More fool them, maybe, but producers will listen to nothing but general consensus.
At the risk of repeating myself, none of this rebroadcasting makes any sense at all unless there will be some 'extras' during the rebroadcasting (little tidbit interviews, trailers etc.) Therefore I don't think mid season 2 episodes would be treated any differently than any others.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

But they're not for us. They're for people who watched it once 25 years ago and can't remember anything, or for newcomers. Here in Italy, Sky did the same thing with The X-Files before s10, no extras no anything, and my mother was very grateful for a chance to brush up on beloved characters and episodes before diving into the new material.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

laughingpinecone wrote:But they're not for us. They're for people who watched it once 25 years ago and can't remember anything, or for newcomers. Here in Italy, Sky did the same thing with The X-Files before s10, no extras no anything, and my mother was very grateful for a chance to brush up on beloved characters and episodes before diving into the new material.
Ok maybe you are right, but here in the US you can stream Season 1 and Season 2 everywhere; it's hard to imagine the audience being that large. But then again Showtime is subscription driven, not ratings driven.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

mtwentz wrote:
laughingpinecone wrote:But they're not for us. They're for people who watched it once 25 years ago and can't remember anything, or for newcomers. Here in Italy, Sky did the same thing with The X-Files before s10, no extras no anything, and my mother was very grateful for a chance to brush up on beloved characters and episodes before diving into the new material.
Ok maybe you are right, but here in the US you can stream Season 1 and Season 2 everywhere; it's hard to imagine the audience being that large. But then again Showtime is subscription driven, not ratings driven.
The same holds true for Italy - both TXF and TP are currently available on Sky's streaming service. But in my experience, it's just a thing they do. Maybe reruns build up hype, maybe they create an 'occasion', an 'event' that may grab the attention of the more casual fringes of the potential audience - both the less tech savvy who don't know how to stream, and those who know they can stream it at any time but for whom it's not a priority. Reruns - especially on a dedicated channel, like Sky does with all major releases - put a show under the spotlight and make it a priority for a lot of casual viewers. A 'go with the flow' kind of thing, I guess. I know they do it all the time on Sky, so I suppose it's effective!

(That being said, I also hope for interviews and lil extras and don't think that any part of the show is going to be treated any differently, though AgentCoop's joke made me chuckle...)
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.