Showtime Re-broadcast of Original Series

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Ross
Global Moderator

Re: Showtime to Re-broadcast Original Series Early Next Year

Post by Ross »

Soolsma wrote:
Ross wrote:
ForKeeps wrote:Question now is do they pillarbox the episodes or crop them like FXX did with the old Simpsons? I fear they're going to do the latter, it looks hideous.
I've been wondering this as well. I doubt Lynch would let them crop it, but we shall see. I see old shows on TV cropped all the time these days. I'm guessing it will be the same as the Blu Ray master?
How did they do it on the blu-ray? (never seen it)
They did it in the original ratio, so black bars on the sides on widescreen TV. Which is how it will likely be on Showtime. But I do see old shows cropped/zoomed all the time on TV these days. The "Atmospherics" aka menus on the blu rays ARE cropped/zoomed which gives you an idea of how it would look- and the composition is pretty wonky.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Alright, for the sake of those who will be watching it on showtime I'm hoping they'll stick to 4:3 then. I usually find cropping ruins all the effort put into cinematography.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
adl345
RR Diner Member

Post by adl345 »

Showtime's always been very good about aspect ratios. Unlike HBO, they never crop any of the movies they show to 16:9, so it seems unlikely they'd suddenly change their philosophy for this show.
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

It's charming to hear that, in this day and age, someone respects native aspect ratios. Really.
I work at a TV station, I know what I'm talking about.
Si78
RR Diner Member

Post by Si78 »

I remember my days in an entertainment store where customers would return dvds because there were black bars on their screen. It took everything I had not to lecture them on aspect ratio.

That said - was the pilot shot open matte
since a theatrical release was part of the deal? I might be interested in seeing that widescreen if it was composed with that in mind...
ForKeeps
RR Diner Member

Post by ForKeeps »

adl345 wrote:Showtime's always been very good about aspect ratios. Unlike HBO, they never crop any of the movies they show to 16:9, so it seems unlikely they'd suddenly change their philosophy for this show.

Ah, a definitive answer. Thanks.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

So what is everyones prediction here? Will the rest of the series be marathoned on Saturdays? To me it seems that is their strategy.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
sparco1979
Roadhouse Member

Post by sparco1979 »

Mordeen wrote:It has to be original 4:3 aspect ratio. My question is: with or without Log Lady Intros?

-Mordeen
The only way to Watch Twin Peaks Original now is with Log Lady Intros, The Previously On's before and the Previews at the end (and without the god awful German episode titles)

God bless the Mystery Set for tying it all together
sparco1979
Roadhouse Member

Post by sparco1979 »

sparco1979 wrote:
Mordeen wrote:It has to be original 4:3 aspect ratio. My question is: with or without Log Lady Intros?

-Mordeen
The only way to Watch Twin Peaks Original now is with Log Lady Intros, The Previously On's before and the Previews at the end (and without the god awful German episode titles)

God bless the Mystery Set for tying it all together
and in full 4:3 ratio
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

Cropping/stretching to satisfy people who want 16:9 TVs filled are among the worst atrocities ever committed to films and TV shows.
Major Briggs
RR Diner Member

Post by Major Briggs »

I can't see why the episode titles are such a big deal...
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: Showtime to Re-broadcast Original Series Early Next Year

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Major Briggs wrote:I can't see why the episode titles are such a big deal...
Mostly because they're not official, they were created by fans and, well, because they suck
djerdap
RR Diner Member

Post by djerdap »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
Major Briggs wrote:I can't see why the episode titles are such a big deal...
Mostly because they're not official, they were created by fans and, well, because they suck
They weren't actually created by fans, they surfaced for the first time as German titles for the episodes when they aired on German TV. So the German titles got translated back to English and became the "official" titles for the episodes on the Internet.
https://thirtythreexthree.wordpress.com/ - 33x3: 33 favourite films by 33 directors, 33 favourite books by 33 authors, 33 favourite albums by 33 musicians and 3 favourite TV series
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

But no one connected with the show came up with those German titles.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

djerdap wrote: They weren't actually created by fans, they surfaced for the first time as German titles for the episodes when they aired on German TV. So the German titles got translated back to English and became the "official" titles for the episodes on the Internet.
They only became "official" because some fans thought they were the original episode titles. But they're not official and they're terrible.