Showtime Re-broadcast of Original Series

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

mtwentz
Lodge Member

Re: Showtime Re-broadcast of Original Series

Post by mtwentz »

I don't care what anyone says- FWWM is and always was a great film that was unfairly trashed simply because critics were tired of Twin Peaks and wanted Lynch to move on to something new.

I am glad it is being recognized now for the classic that it is.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

enumbs wrote:The low visual quality is surprising considering how much better it looks elsewhere on YouTube. Still incredibly exciting though! We're almost here...
Yeah, the aspect ratio is slightly off as well. I like the trailer - it showcases Sheryl's range quite well.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

enumbs wrote:The low visual quality is surprising considering how much better it looks elsewhere on YouTube. Still incredibly exciting though! We're almost here...
I've never seen the trailer looking any better than that. I believe it was never upgraded to HD.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

All this talk of FWWM makes me realize at the top of the forum there are dedicated threads for S1, S2 and S3 but not dedicated threads to FWWM. Or maybe I'm missing it?
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Major Briggs
RR Diner Member

Post by Major Briggs »

Did it actually air during Showtime's marathon? Pretty spoilery for folks who are watching the series for the first time haha
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
I've never seen the trailer looking any better than that.
Neither have I.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Post by enumbs »

N. Needleman wrote:
Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
I've never seen the trailer looking any better than that.
Neither have I.
My mistake, it was the differing aspect ratio which threw me off. Sorry!
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

It's so great to see FWWM and Sheryl Lee getting all this deserving respect these days. Both because of the re-evaluation of FWWM and the audiobook of The Secret Diary.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Adolphus
Roadhouse Member

Post by Adolphus »

mtwentz wrote:I don't care what anyone says- FWWM is and always was a great film that was unfairly trashed simply because critics were tired of Twin Peaks and wanted Lynch to move on to something new.

I am glad it is being recognized now for the classic that it is.
People were also disappointed because the series was a prequel, and didn't pick up where series 2 ended- as well as being more graphic and brutal than the TV series.
It's heartening to hear the movie being referred to as a classic- because it is.
David Locke
RR Diner Member

Post by David Locke »

I love that FWWM trailer. It really actually captures the tone/feel of the film extremely well, and the soundtrack transition from TP Theme > Pink Room > World of Blue is beautiful and seamless.

It's also my favorite Lynch film. :D

I think the prequel aspect was definitely a big part of what disappointed both fans and more distanced critics. If you'd watched the show you'd endured one of the biggest cliffhangers in TV history -- not to mention, the whole show was pretty much from Cooper's perspective anyway so changing it up to Laura/two non-Cooper agents at the start, and only having Coop in there for a couple scenes, probably felt like a slap in the face to some. And then if you hadn't watched the show you'd either feel excluded from this film which so references what happened before (well, after), or you'd just be disturbed, rightfully, at the graphic nature of the content. And perhaps without experiencing the show first and the way it centered around Laura, it was easier for some critics to dismiss FWWM as some kind of sleazy exploitative piece (when in fact it's the precise opposite, one of the great humanist works of the cinema).

Also, because the series is essentially from Cooper's POV we get a warm, wonder-filled tour of this strange, often dark but ultimately lovely town (no wonder Coop ends up just staying put). But how could we get the same warmth from the POV of Laura? It may not be pleasant, or redolent with all the cherry pie/coffee jokes, but getting that hellish view through Laura's eyes in FWWM was absolutely true to the material and the characters. Lynch really did love Laura, it's like he had to do a service for her character by making this film. Quite a beautiful thing, especially when it results in a piece of work as compassionate and real and moving as FWWM.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

David Locke wrote:It's also my favorite Lynch film. :D
Same. I don't like the trailer at all, though.
I'll see you in the trees
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

Panapaok wrote:It's so great to see FWWM and Sheryl Lee getting all this deserving respect these days. Both because of the re-evaluation of FWWM and the audiobook of The Secret Diary.
Same sentiment. I cannot wait to see Sheryl's work in Season 3! I am confident it's going to be monumental.
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

So, who among us is actually watching this re broadcast on Showtime? I haven't been, but I think I will start now. Religiously!

I've owned every iteration of Twin Peaks released on VHS, DVD and BluRay, and since iTunes, it's been available to me 24/7 in my digital library. So, I didn't see any reason to watch this rebroadcast on Showtime. But now, I think I should join in and get accustomed to seeing Twin Peaks live on Showtime. It's hard to fathom, but this is all actually building towards something... Season 3!

As many times as we've watched Twin Peaks, this is an opportunity for all of us to experience the original series together, one last time, before the entire thing becomes something else entirely with the arrival of the new season. (Apologies if this sentiment has already been expressed here!)
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

David Locke wrote: Also, because the series is essentially from Cooper's POV we get a warm, wonder-filled tour of this strange, often dark but ultimately lovely town (no wonder Coop ends up just staying put). But how could we get the same warmth from the POV of Laura? It may not be pleasant, or redolent with all the cherry pie/coffee jokes, but getting that hellish view through Laura's eyes in FWWM was absolutely true to the material and the characters. Lynch really did love Laura, it's like he had to do a service for her character by making this film. Quite a beautiful thing, especially when it results in a piece of work as compassionate and real and moving as FWWM.
Wonderful, thank you for that.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Wasn't sure where to put this, but I am trying Showtime's free weekend streaming on my Roku TV and am a bit annoyed with the 'noise' in the picture in terms of grain or slight blur whenever I watch, well, anything, from new movies to TP. Am I the only one seeing this, is it just an issue of this big new TV of mine? Thanks.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.