Showtime Re-broadcast of Original Series

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

mtwentz
Lodge Member

Re: SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime SPOILERS Thre

Post by mtwentz »

Jerry Horne wrote:
eyeboogers wrote:Damn, could that mean we won't see the new season until 30+ weeks into 2017 :-( Was hoping for a late January bow.
Maybe they will show two episodes a week?

I'll call it now. There will be a short teaser for the new series after each rerun episode.
I would agree, Yes, they will have some original content slotted in during the commercials- maybe starting with teasers and moving to actual trailers by the end of the run.

Or maybe cast interviews? Something that would incentivize people to tune in and become part of the 'event'.

As for how they are going to present the episodes- I guess a marathon is always a possibility, but that pretty much takes up all other content for a day and a quarter and I don't know if that would piss off non-TP fan Showtime subscribers.

So I'm guessing that they'll air one episode per day for 30 days to build momentum, and the premiere will be on day 31, or shortly thereafter. I'm ready to go 'on the record' with that prediction now.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Re: Showtime to Re-broadcast Original Series Early Next Year

Post by Jerry Horne »

laughingpinecone wrote:
chalfont wrote:Much speculation on here related to how the "25 years later" will fit into the airing-date of the new season. Don't you think as the series was actually filmed in 2015/2016, there is a good chance the new season will somehow open with telling us: "we are now in 2016" giving them as much flexibility as possible to when it is actually aired?
I think it's gonna be set in 2014... In-universe, Laura spoke in late March 1989!
Agreed. It has to be.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Jerry Horne wrote:
laughingpinecone wrote:
chalfont wrote:Much speculation on here related to how the "25 years later" will fit into the airing-date of the new season. Don't you think as the series was actually filmed in 2015/2016, there is a good chance the new season will somehow open with telling us: "we are now in 2016" giving them as much flexibility as possible to when it is actually aired?
I think it's gonna be set in 2014... In-universe, Laura spoke in late March 1989!
Agreed. It has to be.
Agreed. They may not specifically address what year it takes place but it's 25 years later, so 2014 it is.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Robot Butler wrote:Showtime has the on demand feature, so Showtime can burn through the reruns on air fairly quickly as a formality/promotion, while people can catch up on their own time.

Would seem to make the most sense to me.
Alright, but if that's what they're doing why make the big deal out of it in their initial announcement - and didn't they also say something about "leading up to" the premiere, as if it WAS supposed to appear right before the new series began? (Maybe I'm just imagining that latter point, but I could've sworn...will have to go look up the initial statements again). Anyone who has access to Showtime on demand likely also has easy access to Netflix, so if that's all they're doing it seems kind of pointless (and certainly not worth hyping as they initially did).

I think re-airing the series ONLY makes sense if they try to make an event out of it. Otherwise, why bother?
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Jerry Horne wrote:
laughingpinecone wrote:
Agreed. It has to be.
Three episodes of reruns a week starting in January would take us up to sometime in March.

Although I doubt Lynch would have any interest in reworking the old episodes, I wouldn't object to a simple 'fat trimming exercise.' I'm sure he's far more interested in the here and now rather than combing through the past. He's pulled back as many licences as possible for his films and created definitive HD versions of Twin Peaks. In a sense, he's catalogued his life's work to date. I doubt he'd care to fiddle around with it any more.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

Oh gosh, no widescreen cropping please ! ! I don't think Lynch would allow it.

I admired & appreciated the work that went into the fanedit "Northwest Passage", but I found the cropping made it unwatchable. It throws the framing off really badly.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Snailhead wrote:Oh gosh, no widescreen cropping please ! ! I don't think Lynch would allow it.

I admired & appreciated the work that went into the fanedit "Northwest Passage", but I found the cropping made it unwatchable. It throws the framing off really badly.
It's one of the most noticeable things about Twin Peaks: where many TV shows would shoot with plenty of room at the top and bottom, of a frame often in case it could be used in cinemas, Twin Peaks was meticulously framed to use the entire space.
DeerMeadowRadio
RR Diner Member

Post by DeerMeadowRadio »

I am not too bothered by the re-airing personally (I have the episodes :wink:), but it did occur to me the other day - would this be the first airing of Peaks in the US since Bravo in the 90s? I think it is, but with 6000 cable stations, at last count, why has it not aired since then?

I have to think this was Lynch/Frost's decision but I can't think of why... anyone know the skinny?
LostInTheMovies wrote:
Alright, but if that's what they're doing why make the big deal out of it in their initial announcement - and didn't they also say something about "leading up to" the premiere, as if it WAS supposed to appear right before the new series began? (Maybe I'm just imagining that latter point, but I could've sworn...will have to go look up the initial statements again). Anyone who has access to Showtime on demand likely also has easy access to Netflix, so if that's all they're doing it seems kind of pointless (and certainly not worth hyping as they initially did).

I think re-airing the series ONLY makes sense if they try to make an event out of it. Otherwise, why bother?

Come Listen to Deer Meadow Radio - A Twin Peaks Podcast

http://www.deermeadowradio.libsyn.com/
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

DeerMeadowRadio wrote:I am not too bothered by the re-airing personally (I have the episodes :wink:)
I know. I think it's nice of Showtime to do this for those who watched the show a long time ago or don't have access to it, but most of us have all the episodes and FWWM at home. Why is it important or relevant how or when they're gonna run the old episodes and FWWM?
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
DeerMeadowRadio wrote:I am not too bothered by the re-airing personally (I have the episodes :wink:)
I know. I think it's nice of Showtime to do this for those who watched the show a long time ago or don't have access to it, but most of us have all the episodes and FWWM at home. Why is it important or relevant how or when they're gonna run the old episodes and FWWM?
Because there's nothing else to talk about :mrgreen:
For me, it's a close relative of the other scheduling discussions, with their informed guesses on where it's gonna fit, on which day and time slot, against which other shows etc.
Much like everyone else involved here, reruns won't impact me personally, but I'm interested to see how this goes. FWWM's inclusion or not will be indicative of Things (at the very least, of conflicting copyright issues :roll: I hope they can solve this if they want to air it), a good schedule could bring many more new viewers, I'm curious to see how much Showtime is willing to promote this, etc.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

laughingpinecone wrote: Because there's nothing else to talk about :mrgreen:
Ok, fair enough :lol:
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
Two reasons:
1. An early indicator of when the new series will likely premiere (if they are going to air only one per week, we've got a longer wait then we thought).

2. It's a great way to build momentum for the new series. My guess is even those of us diehards who own Twin Peaks the entire series on DVD will be watching, hoping for any little trailer or interview slotted in during the commercial breaks.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

mtwentz wrote:
Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
Two reasons:
1. An early indicator of when the new series will likely premiere (if they are going to air only one per week, we've got a longer wait then we thought).

2. It's a great way to build momentum for the new series. My guess is even those of us diehards who own Twin Peaks the entire series on DVD will be watching, hoping for any little trailer or interview slotted in during the commercial breaks.
Fair enough too.
In a way I can see how the reruns will be marked as the beginning of the TP comeback to television. Yes, it's exciting, I'm not saying we should completely ignore it. I know all episodes and FWWM by heart, but I'd prob catch a few eps if I lived in the US.
But come on, does the cropping really matter? :lol:
The Jumping Man
RR Diner Member

Post by The Jumping Man »

would this be the first airing of Peaks in the US since Bravo in the 90s?
That cable channel Sleuth, now known as Cloo, was rerunning them circa 2007 or so.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Pretty sure it aired on the Crimes & Investigation channel as well.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM