Showtime Re-broadcast of Original Series

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Re: Showtime to Re-broadcast Original Series Early Next Year

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Why was such a fuss made about the re-airing of the show in the original announcement? It struck me as a bit unusual at the time.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

LostInTheMovies wrote:Why was such a fuss made about the re-airing of the show in the original announcement? It struck me as a bit unusual at the time.
I may be mis-remembering, but was this info even part of the original announcement? I thought it just came from Frost in a couple of his interviews that he did the day of the announcement.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
DirkG
RR Diner Member

Post by DirkG »

LostInTheMovies wrote:Why was such a fuss made about the re-airing of the show in the original announcement? It struck me as a bit unusual at the time.
I don't think it really was, they just mentioned it. The bigger mystery IMO is why fans on this board, who must have seen the show dozens of times, made a big fuzz about it.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

DirkG wrote:
I don't think it really was, they just mentioned it. The bigger mystery IMO is why fans on this board, who must have seen the show dozens of times, made a big fuzz about it.
Well, I don't think a fuss was really ever made of it, but I think fans liked the fact for a few reasons. First, the eps playing on Showtime is kind of cool in itself. But also knowing those eps will be important enough to the new story that they will play them, and give people a very easy way of catching up right before watching the new series.

And most importantly, the hope for some sort of new content! Promos during the re-run for the new series, Maybe hosting the eps by cast members, etc, etc.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Ross wrote: And most importantly, the hope for some sort of new content! Promos during the re-run for the new series, Maybe hosting the eps by cast members, etc, etc.
I have a feeling that is the primary reason why there hasn't been an official plan for the re-broadcast announced. They're still working out the details on how to use the re-broadcast as more complex marketing tool than just throwing it up on the channel and saying "There you go, stay tuned for Season 3!"

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Mordeen wrote:
Ross wrote: And most importantly, the hope for some sort of new content! Promos during the re-run for the new series, Maybe hosting the eps by cast members, etc, etc.
I have a feeling that is the primary reason why there hasn't been an official plan for the re-broadcast announced. They're still working out the details on how to use the re-broadcast as more complex marketing tool than just throwing it up on the channel and saying "There you go, stay tuned for Season 3!"

-Mordeen
I'm inclined to think the reason they haven't announced the plan is that up until pretty recently, they didn't know when the new series would air, and, announcing reruns isn't something you really need to do 6+ months in advance (regardless of if there's teases for the next season .. you can put a promo out one week before the reruns start and it'll still get the message across fine).
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

Exactly my thoughts. The fuss about the re-airing of the old seasons is that, knowing when it'll start and in which intervals it'll come, we could probably calculate, estimate and triangulate the air date of season 3. At least that's where it's at for me.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Ross wrote:
I may be mis-remembering, but was this info even part of the original announcement? I thought it just came from Frost in a couple of his interviews that he did the day of the announcement.
It was like one of only four or five things they told us about in the press release IIRC. In retrospect, they may simply have been filling up space since even the execs knew so little about what to expect (plus, Lynch wanted have let them say anything even if they did know).
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

DirkG wrote:
For me, it was the idea of creating a focal point for new viewers to get caught up and viewers who haven't watched in a long time to re-visit. Essentially a platform for a much wider conversation on the original Twin Peaks than we've seen since the early 90s. Sure, it's all easily available at this very moment, but this could have provided an excuse for many who need one. I was also curious to see if they'd air FWWM. And personally I was using the idea of a re-broadcast as impetus to create a very colorful/in-depth episode guide. Obviously I can still do that if I choose but if the re-airing turns out to be a no-show or a dud it will feel more like I'm just tossing breadcrumbs into the ether I guess.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

LostInTheMovies wrote:
DirkG wrote:
For me, it was the idea of creating a focal point for new viewers to get caught up and viewers who haven't watched in a long time to re-visit. Essentially a platform for a much wider conversation on the original Twin Peaks than we've seen since the early 90s. Sure, it's all easily available at this very moment, but this could have provided an excuse for many who need one. I was also curious to see if they'd air FWWM. And personally I was using the idea of a re-broadcast as impetus to create a very colorful/in-depth episode guide. Obviously I can still do that if I choose but if the re-airing turns out to be a no-show or a dud it will feel more like I'm just tossing breadcrumbs into the ether I guess.
I for one, will probably watch the re-airing, even though I've seen the show many times. Yes, partially I'll be on the lookout for trailers, teasers, etc. But the other part is that it will feel like I am watching together with millions of other viewers at the same time (a feeling I don't get when I pop in a DVD or stream on Netflix).
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

mtwentz wrote: I for one, will probably watch the re-airing, even though I've seen the show many times. Yes, partially I'll be on the lookout for trailers, teasers, etc. But the other part is that it will feel like I am watching together with millions of other viewers at the same time (a feeling I don't get when I pop in a DVD or stream on Netflix).
Considering that the series finale of Dexter had 2.8 million viewers (Showtime is a fairly small channel and Dexter was their highest hit .. Homeland generally pulls in 1.5 million average), I highly doubt that a single episode of Twin Peaks repeats breaks more than a few hundred thousand at most (unless maybe the second season finale plays right before the premiere of the new season).

I'm just being pedantic though, I get what you mean.

However, that does bring up a question; where will the new episodes of Twin Peaks land in terms of ratings. Showtime is a premium channel, and has less reach than HBO (and I believe Starz actually recently overtook Showtime by subscriber count as well), so, there is gonna be a pretty firm upper limit.

I'm sure Showtime is hoping that it does Dexter-at-it's-peak numbers or better, but, who knows.
CooperDog

Post by CooperDog »

Rudagger wrote:
mtwentz wrote: I for one, will probably watch the re-airing, even though I've seen the show many times. Yes, partially I'll be on the lookout for trailers, teasers, etc. But the other part is that it will feel like I am watching together with millions of other viewers at the same time (a feeling I don't get when I pop in a DVD or stream on Netflix).
Considering that the series finale of Dexter had 2.8 million viewers (Showtime is a fairly small channel and Dexter was their highest hit .. Homeland generally pulls in 1.5 million average), I highly doubt that a single episode of Twin Peaks repeats breaks more than a few hundred thousand at most (unless maybe the second season finale plays right before the premiere of the new season).

I'm just being pedantic though, I get what you mean.

However, that does bring up a question; where will the new episodes of Twin Peaks land in terms of ratings. Showtime is a premium channel, and has less reach than HBO (and I believe Starz actually recently overtook Showtime by subscriber count as well), so, there is gonna be a pretty firm upper limit.

I'm sure Showtime is hoping that it does Dexter-at-it's-peak numbers or better, but, who knows.
Don't forget that there will be many (like me) who will add Showtime to their premium channels only when Twin Peaks S3 gets ready to air.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Same here CooperDog! I'll be adding it to my hulu subscription which I access via nefarious means.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

I'm in Canada, but without cable. So, I'm hoping that there is some legitimate online avenue to watch as I truly want to support the show. But, I'm not sure how Showtime licenses are wrapped up here (I mean, I don't think their Showtime app launched here .. I recall Netflix having shows like Homeland and Dexter, but, I don't think they air new seasons of Homeland along side the series.

I remember a lot of people running into that issue with Game of Thrones here, where, unless you're willing to both sign up for cable and then sign up for HBO, there was no way to legitimately watch since they never launched their Canadian HBO Go (w/ cable subscription) here because the HBO Canada rights are tied up with Bell or Rogers (*shudder* .. for you Americans, they're our internet duopoly, think Comcast).

Any Canadians here know of how Showtime shows work, if they do like iTunes releases at the same time as the episode airing?
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-11-21 at 10.14.28 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-11-21 at 10.14.28 AM.png (409.47 KiB) Viewed 8903 times
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM