Sheryl Lee filmography (The Can & Dead Ink Archive)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Sheryl Lee filmography (The Can & Dead Ink Archive)

Post by LostInTheMovies »

A few years ago, before I began the Journey videos, I planned to do a lengthy in-depth analysis of Sheryl Lee's performance in FWWM. At that point, it was an element of the film I hadn't really dealt with at length in all of my writing on the subject, despite the fact that her acting is probably my favorite thing about the movie. As part of this project I assembled a filmography of all of her other work, and was actually able to find images for almost every single film. I figured it would be one of several appendices the performance analysis, which was going to be a very long detailed essay. Well, I shelved this idea when I began working on the videos and so the filmography part languished in my Blogger backlog until recently, when I decided to revive it as a standalone piece.

Here's where readers of this forum may come in handy. Of all her TV appearances and film roles (a surprising number of which were floating around the internet even if they weren't available on DVD), there were only two I couldn't find pictures or video from. Actually, at the time only one - her short film The Can, shot (I believe) in the late 80s but not released (or recognized by IMDb, anyway) till 1994. And now she has appeared in another film by the same director, Dead Ink Archive, which is completed but apparently not released. I can't find any promotional stills or anything for that one either.

Oddly enough, I was actually able to reach the director of these films two years ago by email and we had a short, friendly correspondence as he gave me some more context on that early project and some of his other work, as I recall. But he never sent the images as originally intended and when I contacted him again recently I heard nothing back.

Anyway, the films can obviously be featured without images but as I'm like 98% there it would be frustrating to have these be the only exceptions! Especially since I came so close to getting pictures before. So if any Twin Peaks fans reading this do have images or the capability of getting images from these works, I'd be much obliged. It could be the cherry on top of this endeavor, which I plan to post in the next month or so in tribute for an actress who often doesn't get enough recognition. (Exploring these films in 2014, I was surprised how many interesting and varied roles she'd taken over the years, mostly in small independent films in which her commitment was 100%.)
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Re: Sheryl Lee filmography (The Can & Dead Ink Archive)

Oh, and as a separate note, I don't need an image as I was able to get one from the online trailer, but any word on a release for The Makings of You? It seems like one of her biggest roles since FWWM (she's often a lead in her 90s films, but despite all of her screentime usually not the protagonist in terms of driving the action or having the story center around her), I've heard it's pretty good and even co-stars Grace Zabriskie - as her mother! Yet I can't find a peep about a DVD release or anything. Would love to know what's up with that.
wAtChLaR
RR Diner Member

Post by wAtChLaR »

LostInTheMovies wrote:Oh, and as a separate note, I don't need an image as I was able to get one from the online trailer, but any word on a release for The Makings of You? It seems like one of her biggest roles since FWWM (she's often a lead in her 90s films, but despite all of her screentime usually not the protagonist in terms of driving the action or having the story center around her), I've heard it's pretty good and even co-stars Grace Zabriskie - as her mother! Yet I can't find a peep about a DVD release or anything. Would love to know what's up with that.
yes i would like to see this film
i'm a moderator's nightmare

i know i know
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Same here! I've been trying to find The Makings of You everywhere I could, and there is no sign of it anywhere.

Looking forward to your Sheryl Lee analysis, Lostinthemovies!
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

underthefan wrote:Same here! I've been trying to find The Makings of You everywhere I could, and there is no sign of it anywhere.

Just to clarify, no plans to write the analysis in the near future - I'll just be posting the filmography with some brief comments, as a standalone. It was gonna be an appendix to the analysis, ired of holding it hostage to a piece that is forever in limbo!
Last edited by LostInTheMovies on Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I loved that Makings of You trailer, though it was probably a little too long and had a few too many beats. (I work in this field, I'm neurotic about it.) But it looked great. I would love to see it.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

LostInTheMovies wrote:
underthefan wrote:Same here! I've been trying to find The Makings of You everywhere I could, and there is no sign of it anywhere.

Just to clarify, no plans to write the analysis in the near future - I'll just be posting the filmography wih some brief comments, as a standalone. It was gonna be an appendix to the analysis, ired of holding it hostage to a piece that is forever in limbo!
Well, I can't be the only one around here who would love to read that SL performance analysis in FWWM, Lost... whenever it's out of that limbo... :D