The Random Twin Peaks Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: The Random Twin Peaks Thread

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

The first LP of Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross’s score for HBO’s Watchmen series is packaged entirely as an in-world album release by the fictional band Sons of Pale Horse, complete with historical liner notes building the history of the show’s world. At one point in the liner notes, there is a reference to the influence “The Nine Inch Nails” had on the group. Reznor has said that he helped with the writing of the liner notes (and show runner Damon Lindelof is a massive fan of TP:TR). I have to imagine this is a sly reference to the Roadhouse announcer’s introduction in Part 8, and Reznor has now officially adopted “The Nine Inch Nails” as his band’s slightly-fictionalized alter-ego. :lol:
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

On this week's "Carol's Second Act", Dr. Frost had a patient named Gordon. It was fun to keep hearing Kyle call someone "Gordon" again.
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

Richard and Linda (Thompson):

Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Cappy wrote:Richard and Linda (Thompson):
The Thompson Twins. Twin Peaks. It's all connected!

krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Has anybody checked out the new NIN album? It’s very Lynchian and most of the tracks are atmospheric and industrial in nature. Feels very much like the music from Season 3
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

krishnanspace wrote:Has anybody checked out the new NIN album? It’s very Lynchian and most of the tracks are atmospheric and industrial in nature. Feels very much like the music from Season 3
I downloaded though I haven't listened yet. But Ghosts I - IV were also ambient instrumental pieces, and I assume these are similar. I will check it out. Thanks for reminding me.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

https://www.geeksaresexy.net/2020/04/10 ... VcKytUsUdM pretty cool lamp! Would fit a Peaks Themed room.

Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

What do you think Frost means that in trying to defy the rules and undo a terrible wrong Cooper paid a terrible price? What is the terrible price that Cooper paid?

Thought it was interesting he said he needed a break from Lynch after the original run.

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/04/mark- ... 202225331/
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Hester Prynne wrote:What do you think Frost means that in trying to defy the rules and undo a terrible wrong Cooper paid a terrible price? What is the terrible price that Cooper paid?

Thought it was interesting he said he needed a break from Lynch after the original run.

He doesn’t know where and when he is. He f*cked up and I guess he is stuck there until Season 4
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Hester Prynne wrote:
To be accurate, the quote is that he needed a break from working with Lynch. And in the book, the quote continues: “After six years, I had other things I wanted to do, and so did he.” I think that’s an important distinction: their respective creative paths diverged, nothing more dramatic than that. He also says elsewhere in the book that he realized he prefers writing alone as opposed to with a group which is why he went in to writing books.
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

krishnanspace wrote:
Hester Prynne wrote:What do you think Frost means that in trying to defy the rules and undo a terrible wrong Cooper paid a terrible price? What is the terrible price that Cooper paid?

He doesn’t know where and when he is. He f*cked up and I guess he is stuck there until Season 4
Philip Gerard seemed very uncomfortable with Cooper's plan. But Major Briggs intended for him to find the key and go to the Great Northern, so I don't know what to think..
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

Pinky wrote:

Philip Gerard seemed very uncomfortable with Cooper's plan. But Major Briggs intended for him to find the key and go to the Great Northern, so I don't know what to think..
When Jeffries sends Cooper back to the night Laura was murdered, he tells him “this is where you’ll find Judy.” Sarah would have presumably been by herself at the time of Laura’s murder, but instead of finding Judy, Cooper tries to save Laura first, and maybe that was not part of the plan hatched with Briggs. In an attempt to kill two birds with one stone, he possibly gets caught in a time loop when Laura is intercepted and keeps repeating the same mistake over and over again. Jeffries also says to Cooper “there may be someone . . . have you asked me this?” which makes me wonder if Cooper had repeated this step before. It seems like that’s when Mike/Gerard starts to look apprehensive. I think it would be twisted if Cooper actually knew he was in a time loop but kept repeating the same actions because he was that determined and prideful in his abilities to defy the rules and save Laura. Pride is the deadliest sin.
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

You're right, I never noticed that before. That's where he deviated.

As for the 'there may be someone...' line, this has always flown over my head. What do you think this is in reference to?

I rewatched a few recently. Does anyone have any kind of idea what was actually going on with the Briggs plotline? A deal between Hastings, his secretary and the Major is ambushed by Mr C?

I'm probably showing how dumb I am here but what was the deal with getting coordinates for Briggs from a military server? Briggs knew all that he knew from Blue Book and his listening post, and he's been (I presume) hiding out in the Lodge, so the idea that there's information out there he doesn't have suggests that there's another party to all this in the military who we never hear about. Or to put it more simply, what do the military know about all this that none of our characters do?

Finally, what does a timeline for Briggs in these 25 years look like for you guys? He hasn't aged. Coop did. Has he been bouncing through time for only a few weeks/months (from his perspective) when he is killed? His knowledge of Truman and Hawk etc coming to visit Betty: he is aware of this meeting at the time he hides the tube in the chair. But is he aware of this because the Giant/Fireman tells/shows him this or because he was watching the events from a distance a la Cooper watching Laura from the woods in E17?
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Pinky wrote:Does anyone have any kind of idea what was actually going on with the Briggs plotline? A deal between Hastings, his secretary and the Major is ambushed by Mr C?
This is something that me and my viewing partner were really perplexed by on a recent rewatch, and we spent a lot of long walks teasing it out. I'm not sure if I can relay all the points we arrived at, because it felt like a gordian knot, where we started out thinking we understood it, but the more we pulled, the more it was like a damn chinese fingertrap.

We arrived at the conclusion that Mr. C did NOT ambush them. Ray spends an inordinate amount of time talking about Hastings' supposed secretary Betty, but he NEVER mentions the name Ruth Davenport once to Mr. C. And if you think further in that direction, it becomes hard to deny that it seems like Mr. C has NO IDEA about the whole thing with Ruth's missing head, body, or Brigg's body. It seems that there's a determined effort in fact to keep Mr. C off of that trail of information, potentially because they don't want him getting that particular set of coordinates, which he has to rely on Diane later transmitting to him, but only after she tags along with a secret Blue Rose mission and finally finds Ruth's body in this out of the way place. It seems Mr. C, again, had NO part in that whole thing. So who did? Well, when Hastings describes "so many people there," I can only think of the Woodsmen, who have shown a somewhat unnerving, hard-to-peg autonomy, and a certain knack for doing violence to heads.

But so, the secretary that Ray seemingly does sleight of hand with, who he keeps mentioning, we never actually see her. This leads me to believe she's just his way of covering up the aforementioned trail. If she exists, she has to be an unfortunate casualty. Hastings himself never once mentions her in relation to the Zone shenanigans. She only really exists in a pragmatic sense; for Ray, who is seemingly using her to cover up Ruth's involvement; and for Hastings, as an alibi on where he was at the time of Ruth's murder, an alibi which ultimately evaporates. And she's not mentioned at all in Frost's books. In fact, there's a weird discrepency. The only further information we get about her in TR, it's said by Macklay to Gordon et al that her car was blown up, mentioned at the same time it's mentioned that George, the lawyer, has been arrested and is currently in custody. Yet in the Frost books, it's NOT Betty who dies in the car explosion when Preston mentions it again. It's George, the lawyer, and Betty is not named at all. Strange, right?

This subplot made us paranoid and feel like we were crazy. I still get unnerved thinking about it. It's deceptively secretive.

Also, the Frost books clear up the thing with the government hacking. It suggests it was Briggs who directed them to info he hid in an "easy to access" space, sort of like "hiding things in the open," making it counter-intuitively more covert than if he tried to hide it under encryption. However, it's also revealed that much of the info that leads Hastings et al on their path seems to come from untrustworthy anonymous contacts (it was an internet-based shebang, after all) who just out of the blue fed them info. Who knows who was who. So the books complicate an already complicated subplot. It's also suggested in a general way the same thing you're wondering--that there's the implication the government, even the FBI our beloved characters work for, knows more than it's letting on about a lot.

It all comes together to paint for me a kind of patsy nature to Hastings, which that feeling is already there in TR, that he seems like he got caught up in a whole weird thing that saw him as disposable. It's worth noting, after all, that he dies because a Woodsman, seemingly acting autonomously, just goes on up and makes his head explode.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.