The Random Twin Peaks Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Re: The Random Twin Peaks Thread

Post by IcedOver »

AXX°N N. wrote:
IcedOver wrote:Random question -- I re-watched the pilot for the first time in a few years. Was Mark Frost the one reading the news on the broadcast in Leo's place? I thought I read it was him, but he's not on the cast list.
It's him, and he even reprises the character in the SHOTP audiobook.
Thanks. I recall he appeared on camera as a newsman in the second season premiere, but wasn't sure if the voice in the pilot was his.

Another question for anybody. Is it true that Spielberg was going to direct the second season premiere, or is. that just IMDb rumor stuff?
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

IcedOver wrote:
AXX°N N. wrote:
IcedOver wrote:Random question -- I re-watched the pilot for the first time in a few years. Was Mark Frost the one reading the news on the broadcast in Leo's place? I thought I read it was him, but he's not on the cast list.
It's him, and he even reprises the character in the SHOTP audiobook.
Thanks. I recall he appeared on camera as a newsman in the second season premiere, but wasn't sure if the voice in the pilot was his.

Another question for anybody. Is it true that Spielberg was going to direct the second season premiere, or is. that just IMDb rumor stuff?
No prob, and it turns out I can field that one too. :)
That comes straight from Harley Peyton, which he said in Essential Wrapped in Plastic. Here's the snippet from pg. 98-99:
"Mark and I met with Steven Spielberg and discussed the possibility that he might direct the first episode of the second season. Steven agreed, and his only request was that we make it as challenging and surreal as possible. Mark told David about this particular coup, and David suddenly changed his mind and decided that he would direct the episode himself. I have always had a great deal of sympathy for David, and feel that he wanted to contribute in a more dynamic fashion to the show—he’d just been on the cover of Time magazine—and I completely understand why he became a more vivid presence during the second season."
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Mark tells the Spielberg story in Brad's book as well, IIRC. That sure would have been a different version of Episode 8.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

Thanks guys. That's surprising both because Spielberg would have directed a TV property he didn't develop/produce and that Lynch possibly hadn't intended to direct it originally. I thought that Lynch didn't direct more in season 1 because of "WaH", but even without that, was he not planning to do more in S2? I guess he got disenchanted with the direction of the series, but I don't know why he didn't contribute more to try to right the ship.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

IcedOver wrote:Thanks guys. That's surprising both because Spielberg would have directed a TV property he didn't develop/produce and that Lynch possibly hadn't intended to direct it originally. I thought that Lynch didn't direct more in season 1 because of "WaH", but even without that, was he not planning to do more in S2? I guess he got disenchanted with the direction of the series, but I don't know why he didn't contribute more to try to right the ship.
Yeah, I have no idea actually. It surprised me too, I assumed he would automatically want to direct the premiere, since he did so with the pilot. Maybe he had planned, as with Season 1, to direct a pivotal episode, and leave the set-up to someone else -- as it was conceived and scripted (and it still is, at turns, in the final product) it was very expository, so maybe Lynch wanted to avoid that. Then again, though, when would that pivotal episode come? 'Coma,' which I think is a good episode, is meandering and there's nothing about it that feels as important as, say, S1E2.

Lynch might have something to say on all this in Lynch on Lynch, which for some reason I haven't read yet.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

Since this is a TV show and not a movie, I wonder if Lynch will approve of people watching it on their fvcking telephones. I certainly won't watch it on my fvcking telephone, but I'm curious about his thoughts on the matter.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Lynch is not the type who would approve or not on what people want to be doing. He'd probably say 'it's a beautiful thing' that people can watch something any way they want.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Soolsma wrote:Lynch is not the type who would approve or not on what people want to be doing. He'd probably say 'it's a beautiful thing' that people can watch something any way they want.
Nope! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKiIroiCvZ0
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

Soolsma wrote:Lynch is not the type who would approve or not on what people want to be doing. He'd probably say 'it's a beautiful thing' that people can watch something any way they want.
That's actually not the case. In his "Inland Empire" DVD interview, he talked about how he dislikes that screen sizes are getting smaller. I'm quoting from memory, but he said "This world is so troubled. It's such a sadness . . . to think that you could watch a movie on your FVCKING telephone. Get real!"
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I think he said in the interview video that dropped today that the new show is a movie that just happened to get "trucked" to the small screen instead of theaters (hope I'm not misremembering, I only watched it once and I was groggy). In Rodley's book, he expresses sadness that the original show was experienced through poor sound systems and improper color-correction in many people's homes. I think it's safe to say his feelings on phone viewing likely extend to all things TP and especially to the Return which he has repeatedly called a movie.
secretlettermkr
RR Diner Member

Post by secretlettermkr »

7.jpg
7.jpg (325.43 KiB) Viewed 9444 times
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

A couple more random questions as I rewatch the show for the first time in years. In Episode 2, was that Lynch saying "G'night Ed!"? Also, who directed the "Invitation to Love" clips, as I assume they were done at one clip?
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

IcedOver wrote:A couple more random questions as I rewatch the show for the first time in years. In Episode 2, was that Lynch saying "G'night Ed!"? Also, who directed the "Invitation to Love" clips, as I assume they were done at one clip?
I don't know about the G'night Ed voice, but Frost directed Invitation to Love with some of his acting pals from the theatre school his dad (Doc Hayward) taught at that they attended together.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

IcedOver wrote:A couple more random questions as I rewatch the show for the first time in years. In Episode 2, was that Lynch saying "G'night Ed!"? Also, who directed the "Invitation to Love" clips, as I assume they were done at one clip?
Yup, I'm pretty sure it's Lynch, and yes, Frost directed Invitation to Love.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.