Twin Peaks' Influence and Effect on The Rest of the World...

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Qubism
Roadhouse Member
Location: Another Place - Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

Twin Peaks' Influence and Effect on The Rest of the World...

Post by Qubism »

It blew Sopranos writer David Chase's mind!

"For Chase the most important eye opener though was when David Lynch's "Twin Peaks" hit network TV in 1990. According to the game-changing showrunner, TV had always just been a "talk fest" — partially because "talk was cheap to film" — but that Lynch used silence and imagery the way it was used in Chase's favorite arthouse and European films."

From Indiewire:http://www.indiewire.com/article/david- ... nos-finale

If there was no Peaks, there would be no X-Files, Wild Palms, Sopranos, The Wire (not afraid of silence or long pauses....), Lost (I could live without that though....) Breaking Bad and a shitload of HBO and other stuff.
I think for many of these shows, The biggest factor is either the Creator, Showrunners, Writers and/or Directors were Kings, with very little interference from "The Network" giving "notes". Can you imagine a bunch of suits giving notes to Lynch and Frost in 1989? -

"Does she have to be dead AND wrapped in plastic?"
"Less crap about Tibet, it will hurt sales in China!"
"Less Owls!"
"Why is he shouting so loud????!!!"
"Couldn't Albert be a little nicer????"

Any thoughts on what Twin Peaks gave birth to? - good and bad or pale imitations.....?

Also, I do think it had an influence on Cinema too. (Was Lynch the first big film director to do a TV show?" Now they've all had a go......
Mace

Re: Twin Peaks' Influence and Effect on The Rest of the Worl

Post by Mace »

Qubism wrote:Also, I do think it had an influence on Cinema too. (Was Lynch the first big film director to do a TV show?" Now they've all had a go......
Off the top of my head:

Alfred Hitchcock - "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" (directed 17 episodes)
Steven Spielberg - "Amazing Stories" (directed 2 episodes) (Amazing Stories obviously pales in comparison to TP)
Mace

Post by Mace »

Qubism wrote: "Does she have to be dead AND wrapped in plastic?"
"Less crap about Tibet, it will hurt sales in China!"
"Less Owls!"
"Why is he shouting so loud????!!!"
"Couldn't Albert be a little nicer????"
"Um, can we have her hold a cat or a baby instead of the log?"
"The population is too low. Let's change it to something like 52,000."
AgentCoop
Roadhouse Member

Post by AgentCoop »

I'm no TV historian, but it definitely seems to me that TP was one of the earliest examples of "Auteur Television", where the show is predominantly driven by the creative vision of one or two individuals (the only earlier example I can think of is The Twilight Zone). So I think you can add Joss Whedon's career to the list of things that Peaks arguably paved the way for.
I'm an admin for The Genius Of David Lynch, Facebook's best DL group. Hit us up to join: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1374245592894483/