The visual aesthetic of the new Twin Peaks

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

secretlettermkr
RR Diner Member

Re: The visual aesthetic of the new Twin Peaks

Post by secretlettermkr »

trailer for the movie: THE HERO, shot with amira and alexa
https://youtu.be/NxFPYw4ZVqo
Last edited by secretlettermkr on Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adolphus
Roadhouse Member

Post by Adolphus »

secretlettermkr wrote:shot with amira and alexa
https://youtu.be/NxFPYw4ZVqo[/youtube]
Unfortunately, that clip doesn't show up where I am- I have seen comparisons before, just not a whole movie shot on the Amira.
" Paterson " by Jim Jarmusch and shot by Frederick Elmes ( of course you recognize that name don't you ) was shot on the Alexa and it looks stunning, an absolutely beautiful looking film. The movie " Toni Erdmann " was shot using the Alexa, and I thought it was shot on film. This is why I'm curious to see more footage using the Amira to see if there's any difference myself.
As for Lynch shooting on Digitial over Film- I can only speculate- but I think the high quality of the Amira ( if it is INDEED as good as the Alexa ) was as equal a factor as the budgetary aspects of the decision.
secretlettermkr
RR Diner Member

Adolphus wrote:
secretlettermkr wrote:shot with amira and alexa
https://youtu.be/NxFPYw4ZVqo[/youtube]
Unfortunately, that clip doesn't show up where I am- I have seen comparisons before, just not a whole movie shot on the Amira.
" Paterson " by Jim Jarmusch and shot by Frederick Elmes ( of course you recognize that name don't you ) was shot on the Alexa and it looks stunning, an absolutely beautiful looking film. The movie " Toni Erdmann " was shot using the Alexa, and I thought it was shot on film. This is why I'm curious to see more footage using the Amira to see if there's any difference myself.
As for Lynch shooting on Digitial over Film- I can only speculate- but I think the high quality of the Amira ( if it is INDEED as good as the Alexa ) was as equal a factor as the budgetary aspects of the decision.
i fixed it and put only the url, its a trailer for the movie THE HERO, i dont know why the video wasnt showing, i couldnt see it either
NightTimeMyTime
Roadhouse Member

Post by NightTimeMyTime »

Worth mentioning regarding Mulholland Drive and film, are how the first part of MD has a misty, old school hollywood effect. Where hard light is bouncing, the effect of mist actually is very visible. I found out this when I watched the new blu-ray master. It resembles the photography and films from the golden period of film and actually the mist could be described as "golden".

Then in the second portion of MD, the misty, classical feel dissapears. It creates a subtle effect and has meaning to what happens in the film and narrative, actually. A little off topic, but wanted to mention it as I think the first part of MD has more of a classic film look and the later part are more raw and digital. More sharp, yes, as film often have the character of *less* sharpness, but *more* warmth. Interesting if Lynch uses this kind of visual thinking in the new season of Twin Peaks. His use of a warm, yellow filter to create the special look of the old series is something he seems to integrate overall in season 3 too.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

secretlettermkr wrote:
LostInTheMovies wrote:I tend to think the "film" portion of MD is much more vivid and striking than the "TV" part. Like the very second it shifts into what was shot for the feature (where Watts is lying in bed, and Harring stands in the doorway) there's a sharper, more, well "cinematic" pallor to it. Granted, I'm not sure how aware of this I'd be if not for the production circumstances. That said, once you've seen it, you can't "un-see" it.
the dream sequence at winkies with the Bum jumpscare is part of the FILM part, is part of what lynch filmed after it became a feature... the same with the old couple at the limo smiling
I've definitely heard that about the latter scene, but from my understanding there are production documents suggesting the Winkie's scene was shot as part of the pilot even though it wasn't in the eventual cut (and may not have been scripted).
secretlettermkr
RR Diner Member

LostInTheMovies wrote:
secretlettermkr wrote:
LostInTheMovies wrote:I tend to think the "film" portion of MD is much more vivid and striking than the "TV" part. Like the very second it shifts into what was shot for the feature (where Watts is lying in bed, and Harring stands in the doorway) there's a sharper, more, well "cinematic" pallor to it. Granted, I'm not sure how aware of this I'd be if not for the production circumstances. That said, once you've seen it, you can't "un-see" it.
the dream sequence at winkies with the Bum jumpscare is part of the FILM part, is part of what lynch filmed after it became a feature... the same with the old couple at the limo smiling
I've definitely heard that about the latter scene, but from my understanding there are production documents suggesting the Winkie's scene was shot as part of the pilot even though it wasn't in the eventual cut (and may not have been scripted).
you got me there! i didint know that...
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

secretlettermkr wrote:
LostInTheMovies wrote:
secretlettermkr wrote: the dream sequence at winkies with the Bum jumpscare is part of the FILM part, is part of what lynch filmed after it became a feature... the same with the old couple at the limo smiling
Here's the site I found it on. Lots of fascinating little differences between pilot and feature, often just a quick cutaway or a line (scanning it again this time, I realized they use a different headshot for Camilla). It mentions the Winkie's scene was in the script, though not the final cut, so it was likely shot in '99. I actually haven't watched the pilot yet - it seems to come and go on YouTube. One of these days...
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Post by enumbs »

secretlettermkr wrote:trailer for the movie: THE HERO, shot with amira and alexa

Ben Horne, a gunslinger.... :o
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

LostInTheMovies wrote:
secretlettermkr wrote:
The Winkie's scene is most definitely in the pilot script available online, dated January 1999. Except that it's scripted to play out at Denny's. The incredulous "I just wanted to come here" / "To DENNY'S?! I wasn't going to say anything, but why Denny's?" would have been a hilariously twisted bit of product placement.

(Guess Denny's got their belated prestige TV plug several years later thanks to Breaking Bad.)
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Post by enumbs »

LostInTheMovies wrote:
secretlettermkr wrote:
LostInTheMovies wrote:
Here's the site I found it on. Lots of fascinating little differences between pilot and feature, often just a quick cutaway or a line (scanning it again this time, I realized they use a different headshot for Camilla). It mentions the Winkie's scene was in the script, though not the final cut, so it was likely shot in '99. I actually haven't watched the pilot yet - it seems to come and go on YouTube. One of these days...
http://www.thecityofabsurdity.com/intnewyorker01.html

This article on the pilot's production refers a few times to the scene in question. It's a great article by the way, in case anyone hasn't yet read it. It almost feels like a sequel to the Foster Wallace essay on Lost Highway.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

secretlettermkr wrote:trailer for the movie: THE HERO, shot with amira and alexa
You have a wild avatar btw - where does that come from?!
secretlettermkr
RR Diner Member

LostInTheMovies wrote:
You have a wild avatar btw - where does that come from?!
its from the TP trading cards!
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (175.64 KiB) Viewed 12964 times
Suzanne Tenner

The article already explicitly said so, but hey. Final confirmation that these are production stills.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Radiatorlady

Post by Radiatorlady »

Now that the new series have started, have any of you experts out there got any comments on the new season's style of cinematography, type of camera etc?
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

Well, I'm a total non-expert and having read the topic, I hardly understand a word of it, Amira, Alexa, well... However, I shared this hope:
Cerulean wrote:One of the main things I'm hoping that Lynch/Deming will keep is the fantastic orange/brown hues of the original series.
and it definitely doesn't look like my hope has been fulfilled...
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB