The visual aesthetic of the new Twin Peaks

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

enumbs
RR Diner Member

Re: The visual aesthetic of the new Twin Peaks

Post by enumbs »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
eyeboogers wrote:
BGate wrote:They weren't still working on the show after it started airing...
Producer Sabrina Sutherland disagrees with you about that. The production office was working down to the wire on all things Blu Ray, DCP's and whatever else was left to do.
Sure, but DKL himself said in EW in May that the picture for the show itself was fully locked, and that he wouldn’t have let a second of it air until that was the case.

Apparently the Blu-Ray adds a digital zoom to the scene where Sarah removes her face, so it is possible other small things were changed too.
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

eyeboogers wrote:
BGate wrote:They weren't still working on the show after it started airing...
Producer Sabrina Sutherland disagrees with you about that. The production office was working down to the wire on all things Blu Ray, DCP's and whatever else was left to do.
Read the post above mine for context. I'm not talking about those things.
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

enumbs wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:
eyeboogers wrote:
Sure, but DKL himself said in EW in May that the picture for the show itself was fully locked, and that he wouldn’t have let a second of it air until that was the case.

Apparently the Blu-Ray adds a digital zoom to the scene where Sarah removes her face, so it is possible other small things were changed too.
Where did you read this? I recall the zoom always being in that scene.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

BGate wrote:
enumbs wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:

Where did you read this? I recall the zoom always being in that scene.
....huh. Ok, this one IS true. Just compared. The streaming version, still online, keeps a steady frame. The Blu Ray adds a zoom and also tightens the frame on subsequent shots, presumably to emphasize what is going on inside Sarah’s face. So I guess there was some tampering done post-release. But I want to emphasize, I have done side-by-side comparisons of the US streaming and Blu Ray versions anytime anyone alleges an alteration on this board, and this is the first time I have observed them to actually be different.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

the zoom version works better for me, letting Sarah's face/"non-face" dominate the screen more.

this is a pretty freaky screen grab from that scene:
sarah_p.jpg
sarah_p.jpg (64.99 KiB) Viewed 7640 times
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
....huh. Ok, this one IS true. Just compared. The streaming version, still online, keeps a steady frame. The Blu Ray adds a zoom and also tightens the frame on subsequent shots, presumably to emphasize what is going on inside Sarah’s face. So I guess there was some tampering done post-release. But I want to emphasize, I have done side-by-side comparisons of the US streaming and Blu Ray versions anytime anyone alleges an alteration on this board, and this is the first time I have observed them to actually be different.
Like I wrote before, the detail shot of Duncan Todd's head exploding is different, it is possible that different countries have different streams (I guess) since I have also done a side by side comparison now, but the Blu Ray also just looks drastically different in its color grading, it's a new sound mix, clearly this thing was not locked and not altered at all for the Blu Ray release. I think that there are probably hundreds of little tweaks once we start paying attention.