Will the new Twin Peaks make you feel old?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Will the new Twin Peaks make you feel old?

Post by mlsstwrt »

Does anybody else feel like this is going to hit them like a tonne of bricks? I was 13 years old when I watched Twin Peaks and everything was ahead of me. Now I'm 38. It's going to be so weird seeing Bobby, Laura, James and the other youngsters looking so old and a horrible reminder of how the last 25 years have disappeared in an instant.

I'm really interested not just in the plot of the new series but seeing how the characters have changed with age and whether our feelings towards them will be the same. Someone like Bobby in particular. I loved him as a 17 year old (I know Dana was older than the character he was playing), all that rage and pain threatening to spill over at any moment. It's hard to imagine that in his late 40s he isn't going to have mellowed incredibly.

I'm not complaining about this in any way, just aware that it's going to be a powerful and maybe quite melancholy effect. How do you all feel about it?
OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Re: Will the new Twin Peaks make you feel old?

Post by OK,Bob »

Not here. Forty-two and giddy as a schoolboy.
"OK, Bob. OK, BOB. OK." -Audrey Horne
OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by OK,Bob »

...Though I do expect some melancholy from not having witnessed the goings-on in the past 25 years. It will be sobering in that respect. Like re-visiting a place from childhood..
"OK, Bob. OK, BOB. OK." -Audrey Horne
AgentCoop
Roadhouse Member

Post by AgentCoop »

The new Star Wars made me feel old. The new X-Files made me feel old. I fully expect the new Twin Peaks to make me feel old. But like SW and XF, I expect I'll also get that welcome thrill of finally returning to that familiar world I've loved for so many years.
I'm an admin for The Genius Of David Lynch, Facebook's best DL group. Hit us up to join: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1374245592894483/
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

The new series will finally make me feel relevant again. All my friends are bored shitless with me going on about a TV show from a quarter of a century ago. The tuts and the eyerolls get me every time.

But now my favourite show will be all over the internet and every other form of media out thee. Being the sheep most of them are they'll all tune in and I'll be able to say 'I told you so'.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

The good news is I'm evidently younger than many of you (earlyish 30s), so I'll be alright.

:mrgreen:
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Yes. I was 15 when the show arrived and will be 42 when the new season airs.

For almost 25 years, though, I said Lynch was sufficiently contrary that for all the 'dead as a door nail' comments, he'd really wait 25 years to continue the story in order to tie in with both the remark at the end of season two and the ending of the international version of the pilot. It's nice to be right once in a while.

It will seem very odd to be almost middle-aged and watching the show. I saw the pilot at my grandparents' house just after they'd moved down to live nearer my Mum and Dad. My parents are now older than my grandparents were then and my grandparents are long gone.

So there'll be nostalgia and yet... some part of me has always felt connected to the show because it influenced my choice of career and its unfinished state was always a weird 'anxiety' in the back of my mind – not in an obsessional sense, perhaps a minor lifelong frustration. In a sense, I almost need the show to return to move on to the next stage of my life.

I know... that sounds weird! :)