Recommendations for Watching While Waiting for Season 3

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Clueless
Roadhouse Member

Re: Recommendations for Watching While Waiting for Season 3

Post by Clueless »

FauxOwl wrote:Much of the reaction to last nights episode of Mr. Robot has referenced David Lynch. Indeed I thought it was one of the more genuinely Lynchian Lynch homages, particularly because of the sound.
Yeah Esmail has named Twin Peaks and Lynch as a major influence in one of his recent interviews. And I agree, the show's exquisite attention to sound design really ups the Lynch factor where most fall flat.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

I started watching Westworld and the first episode was brilliant!!
Si78
RR Diner Member

Post by Si78 »

Yeah, Westworld has very little in common with Twin Peaks but it's one of the best pilots I've seen. Highly recommended.
Eater of Iguanas
RR Diner Member

Post by Eater of Iguanas »

ForKeeps wrote:What are some Robert Forster movies you guys would recommend besides Jackie Brown and Medium Cool (and Mulholland Dr. obviously)?
He has a smallish but funny and touching part in Alexander Payne's fine film The Descendants, playing George Clooney's father-in-law.

That aside, I'd like to hear other people's answers to this.
Eater of Iguanas
RR Diner Member

Post by Eater of Iguanas »

Just stumbled across this really tantalizing piece, which hypes some of the stranger programming of the Cartoon Network's "Adult Swim" nighttime lineup as a heavily Lynch-influenced blend of dark comedy, surrealism and disturbing horror.

http://observer.com/2014/12/this-years- ... n-network/

I watched the "Unedited Footage of a Bear" clip last night, and... yeah, it lives up to the description in the article. I plan to dig up more of this stuff online now that I'm clued in. Definitely check it out. A prime example of "TV that never would have existed without Twin Peaks."
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Eater of Iguanas wrote:
ForKeeps wrote:What are some Robert Forster movies you guys would recommend besides Jackie Brown and Medium Cool (and Mulholland Dr. obviously)?
He has a smallish but funny and touching part in Alexander Payne's fine film The Descendants, playing George Clooney's father-in-law.

Interestingly, Michael Ontkean is also in that film. Mind you he has no dialogue (I imagine he did at some point and it was cut during editing).

As for Forster, I always found him to be in a weird spot; he's a great actor who spent a lot of time in mediocre films (wasn't Jackie Brown essentially a big comeback for him?)

He pops up in Breaking Bad for an episode and is fantastic in that. Other than that and the aforementioned Jackie Brown/Mulholland Drive/Descendants, I haven't seen a lot of his stuff.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Eater of Iguanas wrote:

Does this make him Michael Ontkean's uncle in that movie?!

EDIT: someone beat me to it
Auggeo
Roadhouse Member

Post by Auggeo »

Its been a looong time since i come across such an amazing thread.

Anyway, here are my latest contributions:

Games:

Virginia: Interesting game that nails down the atmosphere and ambience of TP. There is even a direct reference to the roadhouse. Strongly recomended. I wouldn´t consider a game in the traditional sense. Its more like an emotional experience.

Inside: Amazing game from the creators of Limbo. I would definitely recomend it for those who are looking for a dark and grim post-apocalypse environment.

Films:

Motorama (1991) : I watched this flick last night and i did enjoy it. Probably the film that i´ve watched that is more close to Wild at Heart. Its basically a road movie about a ten year kid that on a quest to fetch cards decides to travel america. Its very strange and full of quirky characters. There is a priceless cameo from Jack Nance. Lynch fans especially those who apreciate Wild at Heart will definitely love this film.

Wicker Man (1973) : The best film i´ve seen in the last months. Tarnished by the recent remake, the classic version is an incredible experience. Ranging from the soundtrack, photography, acting and characters, this film is a bit lynchian. I enjoyed this film very much.

The Quiet Earth (1985) : This is a neo-zeland film that is a post-apocalyptical. More sci-fi than weird or creepy, it has some surreal moments. I would recomend it for those who only appreciate sci-fi films.

In addition, i would recomend all lynch fans to check out Alejandro Jodorowsky films. Santa Sangre (1989), Fando y Lis (1967) and his latest Dance of Reality (2013) are very good.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Eater of Iguanas wrote: I watched the "Unedited Footage of a Bear" clip last night, and... yeah, it lives up to the description in the article. I plan to dig up more of this stuff online now that I'm clued in. Definitely check it out. A prime example of "TV that never would have existed without Twin Peaks."
That felt a lot like Inland Empire to me, though much more humorous.

Check out Too Many Cooks as well.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
AgentCoop
Roadhouse Member

Post by AgentCoop »

Anyone who liked "Unedited Footage Of A Bear", should check out "This House Has People In It" as well as a YouTube series called Alantutorial. Both done by the same people behind Unedited Footage.

Also check out an unrelated, but weird and excellent YouTube series called "Don't Hug Me I'm Scared". Great stuff.
I'm an admin for The Genius Of David Lynch, Facebook's best DL group. Hit us up to join: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1374245592894483/
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

AgentCoop wrote:Anyone who liked "Unedited Footage Of A Bear", should check out "This House Has People In It" as well as a YouTube series called Alantutorial. Both done by the same people behind Unedited Footage.

Also check out an unrelated, but weird and excellent YouTube series called "Don't Hug Me I'm Scared". Great stuff.
Oh man that "Let's Get Creative" one is a hell of a trip.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Completely unlike Twin Peaks, but, I highly highly recommend Halt and Catch Fire.

Season 1 is fairly average, but, the show has consistently gotten so much better. Season 3 just ended and was very very compelling.

It's a pretty short watch (3 10 episode seasons, with 10 more coming to wrap the show up next year).
Mb3
RR Diner Member

Post by Mb3 »

N. Needleman wrote:The Kingdom/Riget is a work of art.
Yes, it is. I just finished watching all of the 8 episodes last week and today I started to see the whole thing again. It's got a lot of different elements. It's scary, funny and also sad at times.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Just caught on to a new show I can't recommend highly enough:

"The Good Place" with Kristen Bell and Ted Danson.

Peaks-ian only in the sense that it is super creative, with really wacky humor. But I now list it amongst my top two or three shows since Twin Peaks left the air in 1991.

Anyone else a fan of this show?
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
David Locke
RR Diner Member

Post by David Locke »

mtwentz wrote:Just caught on to a new show I can't recommend highly enough:

"The Good Place" with Kristen Bell and Ted Danson.

Peaks-ian only in the sense that it is super creative, with really wacky humor. But I now list it amongst my top two or three shows since Twin Peaks left the air in 1991.

Anyone else a fan of this show?
I don't like it as much as you do, but I'm definitely enjoying it. It's really good for a network show, and it manages to convincingly flesh out a pretty unique world. It's definitely quirky but it also is interested in morality/ethics, life and death, so I'd probably say fans of shows like Six Feet Under might like it.

Honestly, it's very far from Peaks but probably my favorite show currently airing which is not called Rectify would be The CW's Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. I know people dismiss it because of the title or the network it airs on but it's really an incredibly creative and smart and hilarious piece of work. The musical numbers alone are worth it, but the writing is really sharp and the second season so far has been great. The first season was one of the best debut seasons of a comedy I've ever seen. Highly recommended.

Still waiting to catch up on the final season premiere of Rectify, and I probably mentioned it here before but let's just say that this is the only show IMO currently out there which can compete with the true Greats of the "golden era" e.g. Sopranos, Deadwood, Mad Men, The Wire... it's such a beautiful, humanistic, moving and unique show. Everyone should watch it, it's way too underrated.