Recommendations for Watching While Waiting for Season 3

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

claaa7
Great Northern Member

Re: Recommendations for Watching While Waiting for Season 3

Post by claaa7 »

Agent Earle wrote:I've always been meaning to check Europa out; brilliant actors Ernst Hugo Jaregard and Udo Kier appearing in it being the main attraction. I guess it's time for me to finally do it.
yes, i doubt you will be disappointed. i was flabbergasted by the end of it, and like i said being a huge Lars Von Trier fan it was really cool to see his far-from-humble beginnings.. and Ernst Hugo Jaregard makes a killing in that movie, he's actually quite similiar to Stig Helmer in "Riget" there. the whole story is in part like an inverted take on Franz Kafka's book "America" and there's a lot of Kafka-esque characters and dialouge. Udo Kier don't have a large part if i remember correctly.

if you like that one you should also check out "The Element Of Crime" which was Von Trier's first feature.. "Endemic" is not very good but it has one of the strongest, scariest closing scenes i have ever witnessed. it's actually well worth seeing
secretlettermkr
RR Diner Member

Post by secretlettermkr »

claaa7 wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:I've always been meaning to check Europa out; brilliant actors Ernst Hugo Jaregard and Udo Kier appearing in it being the main attraction. I guess it's time for me to finally do it.
yes, i doubt you will be disappointed. i was flabbergasted by the end of it, and like i said being a huge Lars Von Trier fan it was really cool to see his far-from-humble beginnings.. and Ernst Hugo Jaregard makes a killing in that movie, he's actually quite similiar to Stig Helmer in "Riget" there. the whole story is in part like an inverted take on Franz Kafka's book "America" and there's a lot of Kafka-esque characters and dialouge. Udo Kier don't have a large part if i remember correctly.

if you like that one you should also check out "The Element Of Crime" which was Von Trier's first feature.. "Endemic" is not very good but it has one of the strongest, scariest closing scenes i have ever witnessed. it's actually well worth seeing
saw EUROPA many many years ago, fantastic film
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

claaa7 wrote:

The Element of Crime has been on my to-see list for years, decades even (well before the Internet and all the options of accessibility it offers), but somehow it eluded me to this day. Come to think of it, I'm almost a complete blank when it comes to Von Trier - I only ever saw Riget and Melancholia (which impressed and then bored me, until the last 15 minutes made it into a masterpiece). Need to seriously change that.

P.S.: Kier having a tiny part doesn't bother me in the least. He's the kind of actor whose presence, no matter how short it is, elevates the whole movie to a level all its own :)
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

I just keep rewatching the original series. Nothing else will do right now.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
NightTimeMyTime
Roadhouse Member

Post by NightTimeMyTime »

Agent Earle wrote:
BOB1 wrote:Well, of course we're sorry the third season of Riget didn't happen, since it was its author's very much pronounced intention - the scripts have been written, but then the deaths of two leads put the kibosh on the thing. So we're stuck with a MASSIVE amount of cliffhangers that we're forced to live with for ever after (it's extremely doubtful Von Trier will ever return to it and if he will, it'll be with a whole set of new faces, I bet, and it just wouldn't be Riget we know and love - it could still be great, but it wouldn't be the same piece of art).

".
I think Von Trier should release the scripts for Riget season 3 in a book or paperback. Like the workprint for season 3 that never was. Or the classic one - make the script into a graphic novel based on the original actors faces and the original overall look. But the interest probably isn't enough for a graphic novel. But would have been interesting to see "Riget 3 - the graphic novel."
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

NightTimeMyTime wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:
BOB1 wrote:Well, of course we're sorry the third season of Riget didn't happen, since it was its author's very much pronounced intention - the scripts have been written, but then the deaths of two leads put the kibosh on the thing. So we're stuck with a MASSIVE amount of cliffhangers that we're forced to live with for ever after (it's extremely doubtful Von Trier will ever return to it and if he will, it'll be with a whole set of new faces, I bet, and it just wouldn't be Riget we know and love - it could still be great, but it wouldn't be the same piece of art).

".
I think Von Trier should release the scripts for Riget season 3 in a book or paperback. Like the workprint for season 3 that never was. Or the classic one - make the script into a graphic novel based on the original actors faces and the original overall look. But the interest probably isn't enough for a graphic novel. But would have been interesting to see "Riget 3 - the graphic novel."
SECONDED! The graphic novel would be awesome, but I agree it's a lot tougher to realize, so it's highly dubious it'll ever happen. Scripts released in a book form should be easier, but who knows if Von Trier ever even thinks about the series anymore? Maybe us fans should start a petition to let him know we (still) care about the stuff. I wonder how big a fandom the one around Riget actually is...
NightTimeMyTime
Roadhouse Member

Post by NightTimeMyTime »

Agent Earle wrote:
NightTimeMyTime wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:
SECONDED! The graphic novel would be awesome, but I agree it's a lot tougher to realize, so it's highly dubious it'll ever happen. Scripts released in a book form should be easier, but who knows if Von Trier ever even thinks about the series anymore? Maybe us fans should start a petition to let him know we (still) care about the stuff. I wonder how big a fandom the one around Riget actually is...
I'd like that kind of petition. :)
bluefrank
Roadhouse Member

Post by bluefrank »

Watch Dennis Potter's multi-layered "The Singing Detective" (if you haven't already). The lead is played by Michael Gambon. It's the best TV serial ever written. Production values are now somewhat dated, but the writing cannot be beaten.

claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

NightTimeMyTime wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:

".
Yes!! i've been dying for this to happen as well but i actually don't think that there ever was a script for "Riget III". remember that between "Riget 1" and "Riget 2" there was a 3 year gap.. it wasn't like Season 1 and next year they gave us Season 2. so "Riget 3" would probably not have happened for a while, probably after "Dancer in the Dark" was completed in 2000 would be my guess. now there was obviously some ideas for how it would continue/end.. i've read that Von Trier gave all the info and material for a third season to Stephen King when he was making "Kingdom Hospital" (what rubbish in comparision, and i'm saying that as a huge fan of King's litterary work) but i think King only used Season 1 as a blueprint and then added his own stuff to it. unfortunately.

if you haven't seen it - another Trier movie you have to watch if you like "Riget" and the darker David Lynch stuff is "ANTICHRIST".. wow what a scary movie!! such imagery!
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:I just keep rewatching the original series. Nothing else will do right now.
i'm pretty much in this boat as well, i rewatched the entire series back in January for the first time in a while then saw a screening of "FWWM".. but i'm rewatching it again right now, man i love that show so much it's unbelivable.. so it's pretty much just Twin Peaks and other works by Lynch that truly satisfies me right now.

However, i would like to recommend any and all movies by David Cronenberg for those who haven't seen his work before. i showed my cousin "Maps to the Stars" this weekend and she really liked it.. i think it's fantastic and very underrated as well
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

claaa7 wrote: Yes!! i've been dying for this to happen as well but i actually don't think that there ever was a script for "Riget III". remember that between "Riget 1" and "Riget 2" there was a 3 year gap.. it wasn't like Season 1 and next year they gave us Season 2. so "Riget 3" would probably not have happened for a while, probably after "Dancer in the Dark" was completed in 2000 would be my guess. now there was obviously some ideas for how it would continue/end.. i've read that Von Trier gave all the info and material for a third season to Stephen King when he was making "Kingdom Hospital" (what rubbish in comparision, and i'm saying that as a huge fan of King's litterary work) but i think King only used Season 1 as a blueprint and then added his own stuff to it. unfortunately.
I'm obviously not familiar with the details about the creation of Riget; I remember reading about the fact that the scripts have been written, though (right now, such info can be found on Wikipedia, though one has to take it with a grain of salt, of course). Yeah, the gap between the first two seasons was quite long and a similar one was probably planned to take place between seasons 2 (which aired in 1997) and 3, but then the wonderful main actor Ernst Hugo Jaregard died in '98 and then another important actress (she played the elder psychic) passed on in '00, so that was that (at least it's always cited as the reason for the show "ending" the way it has).
Too bad about the poor quality of King's version; I've been meaning to watch it since it aired (in 2004), but haven't gotten around to it yet. I've heard the series was meant to progress beyond the initial 13 episodes, but lukewarm ratings and reception prevented it - maybe if it had, King would've used Von Trier's ideas about the conclusion in further seasons.
secretlettermkr
RR Diner Member

Post by secretlettermkr »

hELLO, I WANT TO RECOMEND TO YOU NOT A FILM, NOT A TV SERIES, NOT A BOOK, BUT A COMIC BOOK SERIES (hate the "graphic novel" term)

The INVISIBLES
Written and created by Grant Morrison and drawn by various artists.
Its a groundbreaking and fantastic work of narrative, a science fiction story that speaks about the end of the world, conspiacy theories, ufos, psychedelyc experiences, magik, the ocult, time travell, monsters, light vs darkness, control vs freedom.
English s not my first language soits hard for me to try to put into words the complexity of this series.
If you enjoyed TSHOTP, this may suit you, if you dont, it may suit you aswell. The scope of this narrative is HUGE.
The story runs trough 3 volumes, or "seasons" if you like, 59 issues in total. (vol1 25, vol.2 22, vol.3 12 issues, counting from 12 to 1 )
It has vibes of lynch, Jamas Graham Ballard, William Burroughs, The Prisoner, X-files, Milenium, ILUMINATUS TRILOGY, etc etc etc.
Matrix is a major awfull rip-off of the first volume.
So, please check it out.
Its avaible for download in cbr format in the web! ;) or of course yo can buy it! i have my collection translated to spanish, but will be buying it in english some time.

so long!
v1_2.jpg
v1_2.jpg (65.21 KiB) Viewed 17181 times
v1_15.jpg
v1_15.jpg (29.42 KiB) Viewed 17181 times
v2_2.jpg
v2_2.jpg (113.96 KiB) Viewed 17181 times
v2_4.jpg
v2_4.jpg (84.24 KiB) Viewed 17181 times
v2_19.jpg
v2_19.jpg (101.9 KiB) Viewed 17181 times
Twink Peaks
RR Diner Member

Post by Twink Peaks »

Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Re: Recommendations for Watching While Waiting for Season 4

Post by Soolsma »

Palm d'or winner and oscar contender: Parasite. Check it out! It has quickly become one of my favorite movies of all time.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Re: Recommendations for Watching While Waiting for Season 4

Post by Cappy »

Soolsma wrote:Palm d'or winner and oscar contender: Parasite. Check it out! It has quickly become one of my favorite movies of all time.
Agreed... Best film I've seen in a few years.

I'd love to expound on how amazing it was, but I really don't want to spoil it :D :D :D