Recommendations for Watching While Waiting for Season 3

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Ross
Global Moderator

Re: Recommendations for Watching While Waiting for Season 3

Post by Ross »

N. Needleman wrote:Grace is fantastic in Outcast. I am not a huge Robert Kirkman fan - I find his source comics labored and over the top - but the adaptations of his stories are vastly superior, surprisingly so with Outcast where I expect he exerts more control.
Just watched episode four and came here to recommend it. Grace is great in it- and makes me even more excited to see Sarah again!
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Ped
Roadhouse Member

Post by Ped »

Just caught up on S1 of The Fall (UK) with Gillian Anderson and Jamie Dornan. Set in Belfast with a twist to the usual murder mysteries in that the viewer knows the killers identity from the off. It gets under your skin as really creepy viewing without being overly graphic. S2 begins tonight. Recommended :D
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Just saw The Witch, and it gave me very Twin Peaks vibes at times, although it's obviously a very different milieu. Some great moments of dread, and a strong sense of something evil out in those woods...
Si78
RR Diner Member

Post by Si78 »

Stranger Things on Netflix is incredible and has some Peaks similarities in tone and in story (although this is far more blatantly scifi than peaks). It's like Stephen King, Stephen Speilberg, and Twin Peaks had a beautiful and strange little baby.
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

I second that vote for Stranger Things! If you'd even wondered what TP might have been like if Steven Spielberg had actually directed the season 2 premiere, it would probably look a lot like this. It's a ton of fun!
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

ST is a blast.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Yeah, I'm hearing great things about Stranger Things and The Night Of. I should catch up with those two asap.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

I started Marcella last week and I'm enjoying it so far. Need to check The Night Of as well.

Heard great things about ST but it's not really my cup of tea. Maybe in the future.
Si78
RR Diner Member

Post by Si78 »

Throwing a vote in for The Night Of. It's a slow burner for sure but completely engrossing.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Stranger Things is amazing. One of the best shows in a while. Just wonderful storywise and aesthetically. The casting is spot on, especially the kids were fantastic. The score is also really great.

I have to say, though, that I don't really see the Twin Peaks comparison, that many people made, at all. Besides the superficial similarity that both shows take place in a small town and strange supernatural events happen, there isn't anything remotely Lynchian or soapy about it. It's pretty clear that it's mostly influenced by and refers to Carpenter, early Spielberg and Cronenberg.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Ped
Roadhouse Member

Post by Ped »

Just got into Mr. Robot in the last few weeks. I really like it. TV has took it up a level in the last few years. Especially in the US. Hit after hit coming from the other side of the Atlantic at the moment.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Am really loving this thread. Many of the recommendations are things I have on DVD but haven't had time to watch yet (e.g. the Fall), or are things I can get on hulu. I started watching Fargo thanks to this thread, and it is the best shot, best acted and best written series I've seen for years.

I'm currently watching the second series of Wayward Pines. Wasn't sure to start with, since it obviously has to be vastly different to the first one after the mystery is gone. It has hooked me in after 5 episodes though.

Otherwise, I'm watching the least Twin Peaks-like show imaginable- ER. I loved it back in the day but dropped out at some point and thought I'd revisit it. I've been racing through it despite the fact that every episode is basically the same. My theory is that, apart from the excellent action movie tone, it has the perfect balance of standalone elements and continuing story. I find it hard to keep up with many series at the same time nowadays, since the stories are so dense (and I'm old and knackered). Even Dr Who now has layer upon layer of mythology.

When TP is back on, I'll watch every episode at least three times!
Si78
RR Diner Member

Post by Si78 »

The second season of Wayward Pines got surprisingly good toward the end. I'm glad I stuck with it.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Excellent- thanks! That means I'll definitely keep watching.
awjm

Post by awjm »

I guess it's been mentioned a thousand times already but just in case it hasn't...

True Detective would surely be a favourite of many TP fans.

I'd also recommend Dark City.