Recommendations for Watching While Waiting for Season 3

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Re: Recommendations for Watching While Waiting for Season 3

Post by AXX°N N. »

jordanlake wrote:
AXX°N N. wrote:
I hope I'm not getting too off-topic, but it's something I've given lots of thought to on both sides. :o Mostly trying to figure out Lynch's deal with the thing.
I agree with pretty much all you've said; you've just put it far more eloquently than I ever could!
Nothing is black and white, and like you I've given the whole TM 'movement' a lot of thought, and of Lynch's participation with it.
Thanks! Very true; yet even though I'm on a board for a show about dualism it can be frustrating sometimes to walk the middle road.

As for what to watch while waiting for season 3, I was thinking of watching Storyville. I've never seen Frost's non-TP related stuff, can anyone here vouch for it? And related, what's worth watching from other Twin Peaks alum?
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

Currently reading Borges' Book of Dreams. Brushing up on the topic, as you do... It's a terrific read in general and I am also amused to see that so far, the most Lynchian story by far is an excerpt from the famous Chinese masterpiece, "Dream of the Red Chamber".
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Jacoby

Post by Jacoby »

I can't recommend Legion enough. It is on fire.
Attachments
legion2.png
legion2.png (543.7 KiB) Viewed 13414 times
legion.png
legion.png (874.58 KiB) Viewed 13414 times
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Park Chan-Wook, the most famous South Korean director, is one of my favorite directors of all time. Check out:
-Oldboy
-I'm a cyborg but that's OK
-Thirst
-The Handmaiden
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Soolsma wrote: -The Handmaiden
Best movie of 2016 IMO. Still need to check Oldboy.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Oldboy is one of the most overrated movies of the 21st century. Seriously. It's actually the middle part of the director's so-called "Vengeance Trilogy" and the thing is, both the preceding and the succeeding film, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (2002) and Lady Vengeance (2005), are much, much better but unfortunately a lot less known. Critics just forget they exist while fussing over Oldboy.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Agent Earle wrote:Oldboy is one of the most overrated movies of the 21st century.
I used to be a big fan of Oldboy, and I came back to it after having seen all his other movies, and it underwhelmed me so completely I was shocked. I think it's just a case of style over substance winning in the long-term.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Style over substance, that's about right. Glad I'm not the only one :) I haven't seen all of the director's cinematography, not even close, but those movies I did saw (besides the Vengeance Trilogy, I also watched horror anthology Three... Extremes, where Park contributed the segment "Cut"), I can easily say Oldboy is the worst one. Did any of you see his English-language debut Stoker (2013) and if so, would you recommend it?
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

I know it's apples to oranges, but so far, the Samurai Jack continuation is demonstrating how a show can come back after 10 years, in a TV landscape that offers a lot more freedom, and adopt a darker tone befitting the present state of its main character without going grimdark or losing its humour.

Here's hoping this "limited final season conceived as one long movie split into episodes" can demonstrate how to rise from the ashes to deliver an amazing conclusion, too.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
Soolsma wrote: -The Handmaiden
Best movie of 2016 IMO. Still need to check Oldboy.
Completely agree with this.. i was blown away at the cinema, Park Chan Wook is up there with Lynch and Cronenberg amongst the best living directors still working today. i also recommend his US feature "Stoker" as well as the Asian horror anthology "Three... Extremes" where he directed one of the segments.

Chris Carter's "MillenniuM" is one of the best series ever as well, highly recommended
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Agent Earle wrote:(...I also watched horror anthology Three... Extremes, where Park contributed the segment "Cut")
I've been willing to check that one too. Takashi Miike also contributed w one segment and I really liked Audition.
Agent Earle wrote:Did any of you see his English-language debut Stoker (2013) and if so, would you recommend it?
I tried to but I turned it off after 20 mins or so. It was a little bit slow and too much style over substance to me. But I guess I wasn't really in the mood that day. I'll give it another try in the future.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:(...I also watched horror anthology Three... Extremes, where Park contributed the segment "Cut")
I've been willing to check that one too. Takashi Miike also contributed w one segment and I really liked Audition.
If you do, also check out its predecessor, Three (2002), which was released in English-speaking territories as the sequel to Three... Extremes (they titled it 3 Extremes II), when in fact it was the other way around! Anyhow, both are really solid anthologies and I have a hard time deciding which one is better.

Regarding Miike, I find his best movie to be Visitor Q (2001), though it's really over-the-top in the barf department, so definitely not for the squeamish :) I've seen quite a lot of his stuff over the years and can't say I'm his biggest fan, as his stories are generally a little (well, some a LOT) too convoluted for my liking (that's also my general complaint for the majority of J- and K-Horror), but if you want a gore-drenched movie-watching evening full of WTF moments, Miike's the one to deliver!
Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:Did any of you see his English-language debut Stoker (2013) and if so, would you recommend it?
I tried to but I turned it off after 20 mins or so. It was a little bit slow and too much style over substance to me. But I guess I wasn't really in the mood that day. I'll give it another try in the future.
Yeah ... Sounds like Chan-wook Park to me.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Agent Earle wrote:Oldboy is one of the most overrated movies of the 21st century. Seriously. It's actually the middle part of the director's so-called "Vengeance Trilogy" and the thing is, both the preceding and the succeeding film, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (2002) and Lady Vengeance (2005), are much, much better but unfortunately a lot less known. Critics just forget they exist while fussing over Oldboy.
Really? It's one of my favorite movies of all time. I watched it 3 years ago and have re-watched it about 6 times since. I've also seen the entire Vengeance series, and though I certainly liked the other two, they just don't work for me that well. Oldboy just struck me very deeply emotionally, the way the entire mood is set throughout the movie; the strong contrasts between loneliness, extreme violence, love, hate, alienation. WARNING THE TINY TEXT MIGHT BE CONSIDERED SPOILERISH Love the Oedipus references. Plus, it also has to do a lot with the soundtrack, hell, that oboe playing the 'main theme' sends shivers down my spine every single time..
With me, there's really no telling what movies I love and don't. I especially don't let critics opinions influence that. I have to admit that to a certain degree my opinions are vurnerable to bias; Oldboy was the instigator that caused me to fall in love with Chan-Wook's style. Same goes with for example The Straight Story, which I've viewed as a kid and has deep nostalgic value for me. Against almost everyone's opinion, it's my third favorite Lynch movie, and I prefer it over Mulholland Drive and Lost Highway.

>Re Stoker. Have tried it; same as Agent Sam Stanley, might try again.
Last edited by Soolsma on Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

claaa7 wrote:...as well as the Asian horror anthology "Three... Extremes" where he directed one of the segments...
Oh yeah, forgot about that one. Really like it as well!

Nobody mentioning I'm A Cyborg But That's Okay? Would love to read some reflections on that.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Soolsma wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:Oldboy is one of the most overrated movies of the 21st century. Seriously. It's actually the middle part of the director's so-called "Vengeance Trilogy" and the thing is, both the preceding and the succeeding film, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (2002) and Lady Vengeance (2005), are much, much better but unfortunately a lot less known. Critics just forget they exist while fussing over Oldboy.
Really? It's one of my favorite movies of all time. I watched it 3 years ago and have re-watched it about 6 times since. I've also seen the entire Vengeance series, and though I certainly liked the other two, they just don't work for me that well. Oldboy just struck me very deeply emotionally, the way the entire mood is set throughout the movie; the strong contrasts between loneliness, extreme violence, love, hate, alienation. WARNING THE TINY TEXT MIGHT BE CONSIDERED SPOILERISH Love the Oedipus references. Plus, it also has to do a lot with the soundtrack, hell, that oboe playing the 'main theme' sends shivers down my spine every single time..
With me, there's really no telling what movies I love and don't. I especially don't let critics opinions influence that. I have to admit that to a certain degree my opinions are vurnerable to bias; Oldboy was the instigator that caused me to fall in love with Chan-Wook's style. Same goes with for example The Straight Story, which I've viewed as a kid and has deep nostalgic value for me. Against almost everyone's opinion, it's my third favorite Lynch movie, and I prefer it over Mulholland Drive and Lost Highway.

>Re Stoker. Have tried it; same as Agent Sam Stanley, might try again.
To each his own, I guess. Like I said, I found the first and the third flick of the Vengeance Thrilogy better especially in terms of the the story and the characters - both movies had a lot more going on and they connected and tied it all up in a way that was, to me at least, much more satisfying than in Oldboy's case. I enjoyed Oldboy up to a point and the visuals were exquisite (then again, pretty much everything out of Park's opus that I've seen has deliciously refined visuals), but once that point passed (I'd say it was about halfway through the movie), the plot began to drag and I lost my patience well before the final revelation (which did nothing for me, to be frank); overall, I think the movie's running time is too bloated for what it's got to tell and show.
EDIT: I guess it's possible my opinion was influenced somewhat by critics I've read beforehand - they made it sound like some kind of second coming. Perhaps if the praise for it would be more grounded and moderate, my expectations going in wouldn't be so high and, consequently, my disappointment not as big.

Interesting choice there for the Number Three Lynch flick! Almost agree with you as The Straight Story always seemed horribly underrated to me; I bet a lot of mainstream viewers today don't have a clue Lynch made it all. May I ask what are your numbers One and Two? My first three are: 1. Blue Velvet; 2: TP: FWWM and 3. Wild at Heart. Far ahead of everything else of his, especially Mulholland Dr.