Different Twin Peaks podcasts

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

douglasb
RR Diner Member

Re: Different Twin Peaks podcasts

Post by douglasb »

Somebody call 119 — we've got a big burn here!
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

AgentEcho wrote:I don't jive with fans lamenting about how a show isn't what they wanted. I really couldn't be less interested in what fans want out of a work of fiction. I find no value in it. I have no patience with fans who say things like "This isn't Twin Peaks". Actually it is, and the only people who get to define what Twin Peaks is is Mark Frost and David Lynch. Fans who try and claim higher authority then them are basically delusional.
You just summed up why I don't listen to podcasts and couldn't care less about what they say. I'm not against them obviously but they're just not for me.
I did listen to a few when they had guests that interested me, although there was one where the level of ass kissing on the guest was so embarrassing that I had to turn it off before the end. Can't remember the name of those guys, but they were talking to Sherilyn Fenn and they actually said something like "Oh Sherilyn, Johnny Depp should've married you so he wouldn't be having all the problems he's having now".
That kind of traumatized me for life so now I just avoid them.

To be fair, the Brad Dukes show has some very interesting interviews. Never listened to his take on the eps tho.
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

I'd heard that someone on "25 years later" was doing recaps of all the podcasts, and I finally checked out the latest one. Holy crap, there's actually more Twin Peaks Podcasts I haven't heard about than ones I have, let alone listen to. He recapped 34 podcasts on the latest one (and that doesn't include ones that didn't do updates that week like Counter Esperanto). It's somewhat mind boggling that there are that many dedicated Twin Peaks podcasts out there. Even more mind boggling that someone took the time to listen to ALL of them and recap it, but I admire the effort. (Seriously though, it's kinda nuts: https://25yearslatersite.com/2017/09/13 ... ember-3rd/)

It's good to see that kind of passionate interest out there, and I guess it's good that there's variety out there for people who are looking for certain things. And I doubt any one of those podcasts will be universally praised.
Twin Peaks Podcast
Roadhouse Member

Post by Twin Peaks Podcast »

tamygdala wrote:... and TPTR, in my opinion, was never intended to be an extension of the original series -- so comparing the two is futile.
That's fine. But then they shouldn't have advertised it as one. Since they did however, I expected a continuation of the original series in tone and in spirit.
mickeyfickey wrote:
Twin Peaks Podcast wrote:On a side note, I just listened to Brad Duke's episode on part 17 and it was very cathartic to hear someone so prominent in the Twin Peaks fandom have all the same issues I have with it. Made me feel less alone, which is something other people have said about our podcast. So now I know how they feel. :)
Except Brad has a way of articulating himself and providing concrete examples of where he feels The Return may have fallen short, which is great. On the other hand, your podcast consistently provides the most childish, insubstantial critiques. No discussion of subtext, or themes, recurring motifs, theories, etc. It embodies the absolute worst aspects of "recapper culture", peppered with long awkward silences between guests and you just interjecting with "What did you think of the next scene?" and a chorus of sarcastic responses. I'm sorry, but Brad must have said "I just don't trust David Lynch" a million fucking times in every episode. There is nothing of substance, or value, in listening to a viewpoint like that.

I think to label those critical of your podcast as simply being Lynch apologists is to simplify the listening audience to a great extent. There are very intelligent people out there that like to hear differing viewpoints, but they should be articulated properly and have some guest that can dive substantively into the content, not just "LOL, that sucks. It was dumb."

Not to mention the way that you guys would handle the criticism: Hand the feedback to Brad and just have him tell those writing in to "Fuck off". Yeah that really helps endear you to a listening audience :roll: :lol:

I started to listen to your review of episode 16, which is probably the most universally enjoyed of the entire new run, and you all used it as an opportunity for 22 minutes to bash:

Lynch's other projects
Chantal eating cheesies, no one can eat that many cheesies, lol
OMFG Lynch hates women and can't portray female characters.
Blue Apron?
Naomi Watts and her line delivery (really?)
Like Oh My God Lynch is staring at all the FBI machinery and they even had a FAX MACHINE THERE. A FAX MACHINE!!!!!

All this and we're 20 minutes into your podcast. Literally not one single positive comment. At which point you even stop and say "I know I'm being negative here, but it's just fun". Really? I would doubt there is anything other than a very small niche of Twin Peaks fans (or casual listeners in general) who would find any of that "FUN" to listen to, or gather any legitimate critiques from it.

Listening to the idlethumbs, entertainment weekly, twin peaks unwrapped or dishin' the percolator podcasts was immensely more entertaining, because the guests had flowing conversations and more than just a superficial analysis of the content.

Maybe this is a bit of harsh commentary on the quality of your podcast, but honestly since you're no stranger to handing out criticism, I'm sure you can take it in stride as well.
I have to disagree about the quality of our criticisms. I like to think I lay out exactly what my problems were with the show. I write them down on my phone through the week as I think about them. If you had issues with how Brad comes across, I can't do much about that. He's his own person. But for myself at least, I think I was fair and tried to get my feelings across as clear as I could.

That being said, by episode 16 I had explained my issues multiple times at that point. Hence me saying that ribbing on it was the only fun I could extract from the experience anymore. I had already said most of what I wanted to say in past episodes.

And by the way, lots of people found our podcast "fun" to listen to. There are scores of disenfranchised Twin Peaks fans out there that reached out and thanked us for being brutally honest.

But hey, it wasn't for you and that's fine. Let's let bygones by bygones.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

I have mad respect for anyone that puts in the time to produce a podcast and take a look at Twin Peaks. It is a labor of love. The medium is not for everybody. I hardly listened to any other podcasts (or hung out here) during The Return because I wanted to keep my viewpoint my own.

Listening to people break down an episode of TP is definitely not everyone's cup of tea, but I wanted to document the week-to-week journey for my own entertainment and provide those who wanted a take on things that weren't their own. I don't remember telling anyone to "fuck off," but if I did, it was probably well deserved.

I liked a good majority of TPTR, and I don't relish in criticizing the rest of it. The highs were high for me, and the lows were very disappointing and frustrating. I'm honestly shocked at the blowback on people who criticized TPTR. I get why people love it, and I get why people hate it, and I think it's all valid. If you don't like a podcast, there is a very easy solution in not listening. That's all I got.
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

Brad D wrote:I have mad respect for anyone that puts in the time to produce a podcast and take a look at Twin Peaks. It is a labor of love. The medium is not for everybody. I hardly listened to any other podcasts (or hung out here) during The Return because I wanted to keep my viewpoint my own.

Listening to people break down an episode of TP is definitely not everyone's cup of tea, but I wanted to document the week-to-week journey for my own entertainment and provide those who wanted a take on things that weren't their own. I don't remember telling anyone to "fuck off," but if I did, it was probably well deserved.

I liked a good majority of TPTR, and I don't relish in criticizing the rest of it. The highs were high for me, and the lows were very disappointing and frustrating. I'm honestly shocked at the blowback on people who criticized TPTR. I get why people love it, and I get why people hate it, and I think it's all valid. If you don't like a podcast, there is a very easy solution in not listening. That's all I got.
I hear ya, I don't want any criticism to sound like disrespecting the effort or love that goes into producing a podcast. But it isn't that different from the effort and love that goes into producing a television show or any work of art. Once you put it out there, you are subject to people responding to their experience and perhaps expressing frustration. It's kind of the nature of the business. My comparing the act of producing a podcast to creating a work of art is actually a sign of tremendous respect. Am I misguided here? I think podcasting is an legitimate medium and when I can tell that a podcaster has really put in great effort to make their podcast as enjoyable to listen to as they can, I appreciate the craft. And the good ones make me sometimes take note when there are ones that are a little more hastily assembled. And criticism and feedback should be tools for any podcaster to hone their craft (sure, there is some criticism that is more constructive than others).

I actually did stop listening to the TP podcasts I didn't like. One could say the same about watching a television show (I've never had much difficulty quitting shows either FWIW). Yet there's still plenty of criticism out there.

At least you are being consistent here, in that you express you didn't relish in criticizing TPTR and are defending podcasters from criticism here. But anyone dishing out criticism shouldn't be shielded from it, IMO. I get that one major difference is the people who put together television shows and movies and podcasting is the television show and movie people make a lot more money. Fair enough, but they get a lot more criticism and they also are putting even more effort and love into something that can be the subject of countless dedicated podcasts.

FWIW I've made short films and written scripts and short stories, and I sort of crave criticism when I give it to people to read/view. I like to really think about it. Sometimes I end up disagreeing with the criticism but even then I often find some lesson in it. There's nothing more frustrating to me than when I can tell someone is treating me with kid gloves. And I tend to be a really tough critic of my own work (maybe too tough as it often keeps me from putting out more). Still I find scrutiny to be an invaluable tool.
tamygdala
Roadhouse Member

Chopping Wood Inside podcast discusses the 'unified lodge theory'

Post by tamygdala »

We continue our discussion about the ending of Twin Peaks: The Return and go down more Lynchian rabbit holes.

https://soundcloud.com/murphy-hooker/ch ... e-theory-2

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/cho ... 1249759688
tamygdala
Roadhouse Member

Chopping Wood Inside podcast Interviews actor Stewart Strauss (our favorite Woodsman)

Post by tamygdala »

Actor Stewart Strauss talks about how it felt to suddenly be the scariest dude on TV, his terrifying scene in the jail cell in Part 2, what it was like to work on the iconic Parts 8, 11, and 17, his memories of the "Gotta Light" scene, plus the singular experience of working with David Lynch's megaphone, as well as other great stories from his career like working with Travolta and Sly (Stallone) on the sequel to Saturday Night Fever.

https://soundcloud.com/murphy-hooker/ch ... woodsman-1

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/cho ... 1249759688
Isis Unveiled
Roadhouse Member

Re: Chopping Wood Inside podcast Interviews actor Stewart Strauss (our favorite Woodsman)

Post by Isis Unveiled »

Thank you for that!

I'm bookmarking now so that I have something to listen to on my drive to the beach tomorrow.

P.S. I'm totally going as the "gotta light" woodsman for Halloween.
"I have the fury of my own momentum." - BOB
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Brad D wrote:Listening to people break down an episode of TP is definitely not everyone's cup of tea, but I wanted to document the week-to-week journey for my own entertainment and provide those who wanted a take on things that weren't their own. I don't remember telling anyone to "fuck off," but if I did, it was probably well deserved.
Just catching up w/ this thread now, but I think they were talking about the Brad on the TPP saying that, not you.

Btw, hope you'll do a follow-up on pt18 w/ John Thorne at some point. Loved your conversation on 17!
RR Diner Member

Post by 4815162342 »

Shameless plug, but if anyone wants to check out a super-long heavily mythology centric detail-oriented crazy fest, check out Mr. Podcast:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/mr- ... 72014?mt=2

Many episodes are over 5 hours long. If that's not your thing, I understand, but it may amuse you if you are a bit on the obsessive side. We criticize and praise as we see fit.
The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Post by The Gazebo »

My preferred podcast throughout the summer was "Suck Professor" on Youtube. One enthusiastic fan (with the odd gap in general knowledge about the show, but with plenty of theories) and one bewildered newcomer. Great infantile banter between the hosts. Not exactly for those who take the show - and their own fandom - very seriously.
writersblock
RR Diner Member

Post by writersblock »

I'm recording one tonight.

Will send the link tomorrow :D
writersblock
RR Diner Member

Post by writersblock »

Here is the link to the episode we recorded yesterday

We will get better...