Different Twin Peaks podcasts

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Different Twin Peaks podcasts

Post by LostInTheMovies »

This is a topic that has interested me for a while but I don't think it's had a thread, aside from individual podcasts. I got in to listening to podcasts 2 years ago because of Twin Peaks and even now the majority of podcasts I listen to are on that topic. I think I've listened to about ten, to various degrees of completion (majority all the way through)! StealThisCorn has a similar habit and we've often PM'd about different ones. I'll probably leave my own thoughts on a later occasion but I'm curious: which ones have you liked? (Or disliked?) What format do you prefer? What are the strong points of the different approaches?
RedThread

Re: Different Twin Peaks podcasts

Post by RedThread »

I've listened to too many but here's a few I remember enjoying -

Fire Talk With Me - My favorite episode review-based show featuring an older fan and a newcomer. Great guests.
Podcast From Another Place - One of the funnier episodic casts. Bunch of jokers and a nice big roundtable with lots of guests.
Twin Peaks Podcast - The og episode cast, two old fans and two newcomers. Not the greatest personalities but worth listening to entirely for the excellent music.
Twin Peaks Unwrapped - Haven't finished listening to this one yet but I always enjoy how excited these two sound.
Idle Thumbs Podcast - Varies. I like it when they get a little more in-depth with the discussion.
Fish in the Percolator - If I remember correctly both hosts are newcomers to the show so it's an interesting but unguided viewpoint.
Bookhouse Podcast - Older fans, it's fun to hear them share memories of TP back in the day but they're only eleven episodes in and they take forever to put them out.
Deer Meadow Radio - From this forum, check it out if you haven't gotten around to it yet. Only one host and he's taking his time delving into more hardcore fandom stuff instead of burning through the episodes which I find refreshing. His bit on the Hazel Drew case was interesting, you don't often hear people analyzing the show from Mark Frost's angle so readily.

Every once in a while a general podcast will randomly have a TP episode for whatever reason, Ron Garcia guesting on the American Cinematographer Podcast to talk about shooting the pilot comes to mind. And might I just say that I absolutely love your Journey Through Twin Peaks series on youtube so if you're thinking of starting a podcast I'll be your first subscriber!
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Thanks! I thought I had found them all (though I haven't listened to them all yet) but I'm not familiar with the Bookhouse one.

One you didn't mention that I'd highly recommend is Sparkwood & 21. They go really in-depth (it's a spoilercast) and have the best feedback response - and I'm not just saying that because they encourage my long, rambling letters! They really do a great job pausing as they read to engage with the feedback, so that it ends up feeling like a bigger conversation.

I mostly concur with your judgments except I was more forgiving of the TPP hosts (though they can be pretty barbed, for sure) and really loved the Idle Thumbs one (they also had a great forum). Fire Talk was entertaining but the L.A. insider chauvinism was a bit much at times haha (on the other hand it yielded some great guests who really broke down the scriptwriting process). I wonder if they'll ever get to the film?

A few others I've partially listened to:

Twin Peaks Peeks can be a little snarky at times, but they just did a GREAT episode on FWWM. On the flip side of that, I recently discovered the podcast Twin Peeps by downloading their FWWM coverage and it was a bummer because they really ragged on it. I can deal with people not caring for it, but they really didn't engage with it in a thoughtful way or appreciate what it was going for. I'm not sure how their other episodes were as that was the only one I heard. Finally, I loved the Log Ladies podcast but they haven't recorded since December! A shame as they were keeping a steady pace and were all the way up to ep. 25. Oddly enough, a different podcast with the same name popped up a few months ago but they only recorded one episode (maybe the realized the name was taken and changed theirs?).
cowwithfivelegs
Roadhouse Member

Post by cowwithfivelegs »

Last edited by cowwithfivelegs on Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by OK,Bob »

Glad this thread brought the multitude of podcasts to my attention, even if I only consider a handful to be real gems...

The first I listened to - and listened all the way through (prior to the start this forum thread) - was Idle Thumbs; not sure how it will hold up after experiencing all the others, but I suspect it would still be enjoyable to revisit. They were a little rough on the soundtrack, as I recall. My brother pointed out that one of the hosts sounded a bit like Bobby Briggs, which made it even more fun!

More recently I completed and would recommend Fire Talk With Me, though I enjoyed some episodes/guests more than others.

My favorite - having now sampled all of those mentioned here - is Sparkwood & 21. Em rules Peaks podcasts, imo. She and her husband, Steve, focus on the show without broadcasting their own egos, which I personally feel detracts from many of the other offerings. They have an easy, comfortable charm and heaps of insight. Em knows her stuff and takes painstaking notes. (I can't abide a podcast for long if I'm constantly correcting their quotes and factoids ;-) )

As a 25-year-long fan (with an obscene number of re-watches) I suppose I prefer the recap-with-spoilers format and subsequent listener feedback segments. The newbie format of Idle Thumbs was fun, but I haven't much enjoyed listening to other newbies since...
"OK, Bob. OK, BOB. OK." -Audrey Horne
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

OK,Bob wrote:Glad this thread brought the multitude of podcasts to my attention, even if I only consider a handful to be real gems...

The first I listened to - and listened all the way through (prior to the start this forum thread) - was Idle Thumbs; not sure how it will hold up after experiencing all the others, but I suspect it would still be enjoyable to revisit. They were a little rough on the soundtrack, as I recall. My brother pointed out that one of the hosts sounded a bit like Bobby Briggs, which made it even more fun!

More recently I completed and would recommend Fire Talk With Me, though I enjoyed some episodes/guests more than others.

My favorite - having now sampled all of those mentioned here - is Sparkwood & 21. Em rules Peaks podcasts, imo. She and her husband, Steve, focus on the show without broadcasting their own egos, which I personally feel detracts from many of the other offerings. They have an easy, comfortable charm and heaps of insight. Em knows her stuff and takes painstaking notes. (I can't abide a podcast for long if I'm constantly correcting their quotes and factoids ;-) )

As a 25-year-long fan (with an obscene number of re-watches) I suppose I prefer the recap-with-spoilers format and subsequent listener feedback segments. The newbie format of Idle Thumbs was fun, but I haven't much enjoyed listening to other newbies since...
Did you hear their latest on the Access Guide? Lots of fun, with a great assist from listener John Bernardi.
OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by OK,Bob »

LostInTheMovies wrote:Did you hear their latest on the Access Guide? Lots of fun, with a great assist from listener John Bernardi.
I sure did!
chinstroker

Post by chinstroker »

Totally self serving but I had Mark Frost on my podcast to talk Peaks a while back. We talk Lynch and Peaks a lot on the show in general too

http://csvsp.libsyn.com/bonus-episode-a ... mark-frost
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

chinstroker wrote:Totally self serving but I had Mark Frost on my podcast to talk Peaks a while back. We talk Lynch and Peaks a lot on the show in general too

http://csvsp.libsyn.com/bonus-episode-a ... mark-frost
Thanks, look forward to listening to this.
OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by OK,Bob »

Here's a rather new one to investigate: http://diane.libsyn.com/ (also on the Facebook here https://www.facebook.com/dianepodcast/)
chalfont
Roadhouse Member

Post by chalfont »

OK,Bob wrote:Here's a rather new one to investigate: http://diane.libsyn.com/ (also on the Facebook here https://www.facebook.com/dianepodcast/)
I can really recommend this one. God stuff!!!
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

Unwrapped I have to skip around a lot or half-listen in order to tolerate; I think the "no spoilers/an experienced viewer introduces a neophyte" format is generally bad, but this one seems particularly egregious in that I genuinely find it impossible to tell which one is supposed to be the newbie since they both have such a poor grasp of the thing they've ostensibly just watched! And then Kathleen excapes the fire at the...the mall? Wait, is it the mall or the mill? No, mall. Mall.
(Haha I just listened to one where they acknowledge their inability to remember the names of characters/actors/crew/basic concepts, and then later in the episode one of them is struggling to read out a tweet and pronounces the word "gee" with a hard g. I can't stay mad at these two chuckleheads, but nor can I listen for a sustained period.)
Thank god for the guests, including the wonderful LITM from round here!

Sparkwood could be another case of a couple of lightweights being bailed out by listener feedback, but their chemistry and pleasant voices go a long way - until recently my favourite of the ones I've tried.

Diane is the best by a mile, however - really smart, fun, lots to chew on. Being a nitpicky jerk, I do wish someone would tell them that garmonbozia means "pain and sorrow", not "pain and suffering" as they say every time they sign off! That's my only complaint, and I'm looking forward to their take on the post-Laura episodes.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Not that I'm an unbiased observer, given both Unwrapped & Sparkwood's generosity to me, but I think Ben & Bryon are able to tease themselves about the name thing and still have a lot of great insights (I was pretty impressed with some of the stuff Bryon came up with on a first viewing). This was kind of the last of the introcasts for me, though - I think by having extra guests interacting with Bryon they were able to keep the format alive but going forward I'm more interested in hearing veterans have at it, even if they're going spoiler-free like Diane (that said, I really want to hear Log Ladies do the last 4 & FWWM!). I'd like to see more do Deer Meadow Radio's approach, talking general topics rater than episode by episode. I like that Unwrapped is moving in that direction now that they've wrapped the show. And I wish all of the podcasts would cover the films like TPP did (albeit maybe a bit more positively haha).

As for Sparkwood, I don't think that's fair either - they tend to be very modest/deferential toward feedback on the air but I've been exchanging emails with them lately about avant-garde authors/filmmakers and other Lynch films and they have a ton of interesting stuff to say - digging very deep into it (had to nudge Em to repeat her Lost Highway thoughts on the air, which is what I mean about the modesty thing).

Just my 2 cents. Additionally, there's some FWWM casts (usually standalones, but some parts of larger ones too) that just make my head spin. Not in a good way, like Exorcist-style.
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

See I thought the lost highway ep was great! I think that reticence is what I'm picking up on, and you're probably expressing it in a much fairer way! As I said, I do really like that one - I think the ideal approach would be a cross between Diane (really getting stuck in with deep analysis from the off) and sparkwood (spoil away, guys!)

Unwrapped is fine for what it is really, I'm just a fussy and impatient listener at times - and totally done with long recaps. Listened to a bit of peeks and realised quickly how much I really don't need to hear again about how random it is that that one dude finds a fish in the percolator!
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

Was bored & tried TPRevival, yikes. Lots I could say (it fails what I might have to start calling the Polanski test, for one) but what it boils down to: these kids.... are not funny

OTOH Counter-Esperanto is highly recommended: imaginative, exploratory. Nice voices too