Different Twin Peaks podcasts

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Twink Peaks
RR Diner Member

Re: Different Twin Peaks podcasts

Post by Twink Peaks »

Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

Entertainment Weekly just put their first TP podcast out. The first episode covers season 1.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Haven't read it yet but this should be right up this thread's alley: an author explores a variety of Twin Peaks podcasts and offers his thoughts...

https://25yearslatersite.com/2017/04/30 ... st-part-1/ (Part 1)
https://25yearslatersite.com/2017/05/04 ... st-part-2/ (Part 2)
Hawk's Poem

Post by Hawk's Poem »

Last Week In Twin Peaks Podcasts, Week of April 30th to May 6th – 25 Years Later
https://25yearslatersite.com/2017/05/09 ... o-may-6th/

A new weekly column on 25yearslatersite.com where John Bernardy covers all of the podcasts for the week and points out which one to listen to if you have limited time.
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

LostInTheMovies wrote:I mostly concur with your judgments except I was more forgiving of the TPP hosts (though they can be pretty barbed, for sure) and really loved the Idle Thumbs one (they also had a great forum). Fire Talk was entertaining but the L.A. insider chauvinism was a bit much at times haha (on the other hand it yielded some great guests who really broke down the scriptwriting process). I wonder if they'll ever get to the film?
Amazingly, they just did this last week! I haven't listened yet and don't recall too much of their original run (their episode on the finale was two years ago!) but I do remember finding it amusing and I'll always listen to a podcast about fire walk with me...
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Not a podcast, but worth mentioning;

Redlettermedia is going to be putting out a Fire Walk With Me Re:view sometime this week. Jay's a pretty big Lynch fan, and seems pretty excited for the new series, so, I'm interested to see what their thoughts are on the film.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Rudagger wrote:Not a podcast, but worth mentioning;

Redlettermedia is going to be putting out a Fire Walk With Me Re:view sometime this week. Jay's a pretty big Lynch fan, and seems pretty excited for the new series, so, I'm interested to see what their thoughts are on the film.
Interesting - I'm *real* ambivalent about their prequel stuff. Some of it's pretty funny but there are some incredibly cheap shots too (the bit about Lucas being a supposedly bad editor, which completely takes out of context a clip from another interview, made my blood boil). Glad to hear they like FWWM though so hopefully it does it justice.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

LostInTheMovies wrote:

Interesting - I'm *real* ambivalent about their prequel stuff. Some of it's pretty funny but there are some incredibly cheap shots too (the bit about Lucas being a supposedly bad editor, which completely takes out of context a clip from another interview, made my blood boil). Glad to hear they like FWWM though so hopefully it does it justice.
I think they hit the broad strokes of the prequels, and kind of put into words what sucks about them. But, yeah, they're very hard on Lucas, and I think it's kind of led to this weird internet view where everyone suggests Lucas had next to nothing to do with the originals.

Examples: Marcia Lucas saved A New Hope' .. even though Lucas was the one that hated how his editors were cutting it, and actively fired and found new editors, while himself doing additional cutting .. as a director is meant to do.

"But, he didn't write or direct Empire!", forgetting that he was an on-set producer of the self-funded film, that he wrote multiple drafts after Leigh Brackett died (who's draft doesn't resemble the final product)

"But, he didn't write or direct Return of the Jedi", forgetting that he was present in every story session (that you can read transcripts of), was on-set because Marquand was having trouble with special effects, and ended up shooting second unit .. etc. etc.

Lucas lost it, sure, but, the guy in his prime was firing on all cylinders (read the Raiders story session transcript, where you can in real time see Lucas walk Spielberg and Kasdan through the entire plot of the film).

Anyway, sorry for the tangent. I find Lucas one of the most interesting film directors, simply because of the interesting rise and fall (hell, the guy made a fortune to build Skywalker ranch, in hopes that Marcia Lucas would be able to do editing work there .. only to alienate her so much that she divorced him and ran away .. with a stained glass artist who was helping build Skywalker Ranch! You can't write that!)
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Rudagger wrote:
LostInTheMovies wrote:

I think they hit the broad strokes of the prequels, and kind of put into words what sucks about them. But, yeah, they're very hard on Lucas, and I think it's kind of led to this weird internet view where everyone suggests Lucas had next to nothing to do with the originals.

Examples: Marcia Lucas saved A New Hope' .. even though Lucas was the one that hated how his editors were cutting it, and actively fired and found new editors, while himself doing additional cutting .. as a director is meant to do.

"But, he didn't write or direct Empire!", forgetting that he was an on-set producer of the self-funded film, that he wrote multiple drafts after Leigh Brackett died (who's draft doesn't resemble the final product)

"But, he didn't write or direct Return of the Jedi", forgetting that he was present in every story session (that you can read transcripts of), was on-set because Marquand was having trouble with special effects, and ended up shooting second unit .. etc. etc.

Lucas lost it, sure, but, the guy in his prime was firing on all cylinders (read the Raiders story session transcript, where you can in real time see Lucas walk Spielberg and Kasdan through the entire plot of the film).

Anyway, sorry for the tangent. I find Lucas one of the most interesting film directors, simply because of the interesting rise and fall (hell, the guy made a fortune to build Skywalker ranch, in hopes that Marcia Lucas would be able to do editing work there .. only to alienate her so much that she divorced him and ran away .. with a stained glass artist who was helping build Skywalker Ranch! You can't write that!)
Totally, and there's a pernicious, pro-corporate, anti-auteurist underbelly to a lot of the criticism too which I hate. At some point it evolved from an arguably healthy populist upsurge against some of Lucas' bad decisions (really more the Special Editions obscuring the originals, I think, than the prequels) to a fanboyish devotion to the idea that fans should dictate content creation. Especially being a Twin Peaks fan, that just strikes me as so strange. It's the most blatant example of a much bigger pop culture phenomenon that dovetails all too neatly with the erasure of personal voices from the Hollywood machine (to get a little too melodramatic/hyperbolic about it, perhaps).

I think in many ways - it sounds funny to say this about a billionaire who created one of the most beloved stories of all time - Lucas is kind of a tragic figure. Especially in the sense that he plays a big role in his own "downfall".
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

LostInTheMovies wrote: Totally, and there's a pernicious, pro-corporate, anti-auteurist underbelly to a lot of the criticism too which I hate. At some point it evolved from an arguably healthy populist upsurge against some of Lucas' bad decisions (really more the Special Editions obscuring the originals, I think, than the prequels) to a fanboyish devotion to the idea that fans should dictate content creation. Especially being a Twin Peaks fan, that just strikes me as so strange. It's the most blatant example of a much bigger pop culture phenomenon that dovetails all too neatly with the erasure of personal voices from the Hollywood machine (to get a little too melodramatic/hyperbolic about it, perhaps).

I think in many ways - it sounds funny to say this about a billionaire who created one of the most beloved stories of all time - Lucas is kind of a tragic figure. Especially in the sense that he plays a big role in his own "downfall".
Oh, tragic is absolutely right. Even when it came to the prequels, Lucas *tried* to get collaborators. He wasn't his own first choice to direct (he asked Ron Howard, Spielberg, Zemeckis all to direct, and they all said he should), and he tried to get writers (Frank Darabont went to the Ranch to read it .. and said the script was fine, Kasdan turn him down). So, it's not like it was such an ego trip that he wasn't aware of his own strengths/weaknesses (having said that, you can debate whether or not his personality was the reason someone like Kasdan refused to come back, or perhaps just due to Kasdan being at the height of his pre-Dreamcatcher career).

The great making-of for Phantom Menace, which is feature length, shows just how much effort everyone put into that film. I personally still think it's the strongest of the three prequels; it looks the best (wasn't using early digital cameras), the action scenes aren't given total free-reign due to virtual camera, and it's just restrained in so many ways compared to audience favourite Revenge of the Sith (compare the lightsaber fight in Phantom Menace to .. whatever Obi-wan and Anakin's lava-hovering rope-swinging showdown is). I think the terrible reception killed his drive, and he kind of went on auto-pilot for the latter two films, which is a shame.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd1bbjXCfyY

Here's Redlettermedia's Fire Walk With Me re:view.

You'll be happy to know that Jay is aware that Lynch was already done Wild at Heart by Season 2.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Still catching up with podcast episodes from just before the premiere, but The Gifted & the Damned popped up with a response right away! Haven't listened to it yet but very curious to do so, as they tend to be the most critical of Lynch and worried about the series being...well, kind of what 1 & 2 were haha. Though I tend to see things differently, I really enjoy their articulate thoughts & professional style so I'll listen to it soon.

http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/twin-pe ... oplay=true
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

LostInTheMovies wrote:Still catching up with podcast episodes from just before the premiere, but The Gifted & the Damned popped up with a response right away! Haven't listened to it yet but very curious to do so, as they tend to be the most critical of Lynch and worried about the series being...well, kind of what 1 & 2 were haha. Though I tend to see things differently, I really enjoy their articulate thoughts & professional style so I'll listen to it soon.

http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/twin-pe ... oplay=true
Thanks I'll give it a listen.

I am hoping Brad and Red Room Podcasts do an episode pretty soon.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

Not a podcast, but I like this YouTuber called the Vlog Lady. She does really good analysis for every single episode (old and current), and does other interesting videos like analysing the role of women in the show, or analysing the Fire Walk with Me poem.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRwsqY ... 4CDZlRxgtQ
Twin Peaks Podcast
Roadhouse Member

Post by Twin Peaks Podcast »

I just released my podcast reviewing the first two episodes. Overall I liked it, but my cohosts and I aren't nearly as glowing as other reviewers I've read/heard. So if you have some concerns about the new season, perhaps you'll like our take.

http://twinpeakspodcast.blogspot.ca/201 ... -been.html
We're back again!

After 25 (27?) years Twin Peaks has finally returned, and it looks very different than it did before. Do the hosts like this new direction, or are some of them seeing red? Take a listen and find out if the wait was worth it.