Different Twin Peaks podcasts

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

mtwentz
Lodge Member

Re: Different Twin Peaks podcasts

Post by mtwentz »

Brad Dukes and RedRoom Podcasts both have their take on the new season up now.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Holy crap, John Bernardy is doing work that is sure to appeal to most reading this thread. Only read the intro and a few early entries so far, but I absolutely love his appraoch, a mix of appreciation and analysis as to who (and how many) is talking about what:

https://25yearslatersite.com/2017/05/28 ... to-may-27/

And I think this is gonna be a recurring feature? WOW BOB WOW
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

LostInTheMovies wrote:Holy crap, John Bernardy is doing work that is sure to appeal to most reading this thread. Only read the intro and a few early entries so far, but I absolutely love his appraoch, a mix of appreciation and analysis as to who (and how many) is talking about what:

Thanks for this link! And I also assume you're responsible for the wonderful Twin Peaks analysis on Youtube?
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Wonderful & Strange wrote:
LostInTheMovies wrote:Holy crap, John Bernardy is doing work that is sure to appeal to most reading this thread. Only read the intro and a few early entries so far, but I absolutely love his appraoch, a mix of appreciation and analysis as to who (and how many) is talking about what:

Thanks for this link! And I also assume you're responsible for the wonderful Twin Peaks analysis on Youtube?
Thanks - yes, that's me.
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

I'm looking forward to more analysis from you on the new show.

I imagine you think Laura will somehow still be Lynch's emotional center?
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Wonderful & Strange wrote:I'm looking forward to more analysis from you on the new show.

I imagine you think Laura will somehow still be Lynch's emotional center?
It seems like she will be some sort of emotional/thematic anchor for the show, but not sure how yet. It seems significant that her ghostly image opens up the new credits.
Twin Peaks Podcast
Roadhouse Member

Post by Twin Peaks Podcast »

We've released out review of episode 6,

http://twinpeakspodcast.blogspot.ca/201 ... -been.html
Episode 6 of the Return. Some interesting characters have started to appear and things are definitely getting interesting. But we're still tired of Dougie.

Love lil' Stabby though!
tamygdala
Roadhouse Member

Post by tamygdala »

Just came across this podcast -- very interesting theories by these two guys.

https://soundcloud.com/murphy-hooker
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

It's something of a pet peeve of mine when podcasters don't bother to keep themselves informed. I've been interested in hearing reactions to part 8 and listened to the Twin Peaks After Show podcast, which is presumably made up of a bunch of E! podcasters who comment on media but aren't really Twin Peaks fans. One of the guys was adamant that the the face that appeared in the bubble while the woodsmen were working on Evil Cooper was NOT Bob. He claims he rewound the scene and watched it for six minutes or something. Was he watching it on a phone? The guy made a complete farce of himself. It blows my mind that someone could watch that scene over and over again, come up with a completely incorrect conclusion, and scream his incorrect observation about it at the top of his lungs. The same guy later completely dismissed that the girl in New Mexico was Sarah Palmer, which may not be the case, but he then theorizes that the girl is Leland Palmer's mother. Which would make Leland Palmer, even if the bug results in some kind of immediate pregnancy with this young girl, a man barely over the age of 30 with a 17 year old daughter in the original series. This is what you realize when you actually put some thought into that theory. So why exactly is it that this guy is on a professional podcast giving his opinion about Twin Peaks?
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

AgentEcho wrote:It's something of a pet peeve of mine when podcasters don't bother to keep themselves informed. I've been interested in hearing reactions to part 8 and listened to the Twin Peaks After Show podcast, which is presumably made up of a bunch of E! podcasters who comment on media but aren't really Twin Peaks fans. One of the guys was adamant that the the face that appeared in the bubble while the woodsmen were working on Evil Cooper was NOT Bob. He claims he rewound the scene and watched it for six minutes or something. Was he watching it on a phone? The guy made a complete farce of himself. It blows my mind that someone could watch that scene over and over again, come up with a completely incorrect conclusion, and scream his incorrect observation about it at the top of his lungs. The same guy later completely dismissed that the girl in New Mexico was Sarah Palmer, which may not be the case, but he then theorizes that the girl is Leland Palmer's mother. Which would make Leland Palmer, even if the bug results in some kind of immediate pregnancy with this young girl, a man barely over the age of 30 with a 17 year old daughter in the original series. This is what you realize when you actually put some thought into that theory. So why exactly is it that this guy is on a professional podcast giving his opinion about Twin Peaks?
I haven't been much compelled to check out the pro podcasts, honestly. I've been getting the sense that the "amateurs" do a much better job.
HagbardCeline
RR Diner Member

Post by HagbardCeline »

I had gotten into the habit of watching the Afterbuzz TV recap shows for The Expanse, and from week to week was impressed with the informed analysis, combination of people who had read the books and hadn't read the books, and frequent guests from the show itself answering questions from people commenting in the YouTube channel.

When Twin Peaks started up I was excited that they had a show for Twin Peaks...but man is it tough to watch sometimes. There is one guy who is clearly a TP nerd in the best possible way but the others...yikes. I don't get to watch this one live, so I spend most of time yelling at the screen. The show after Episode 8 also had a couple people swearing up and down that the globe wasn't Bob. Pretty frustrating to see four people who were either not born or incredibly young when the show aired trying to analyze it.
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

Been listening to a lot of TP podcasts at work because I don't feel bad tuning them out when I have to. After a few weeks "The Lodgers" has far and away risen to the top of the pack. Counter Esperanto would be up there if they updated a bit more regularly, as it stands it's more of a general podcast that covers TP on occasion. But I really appreciate the cinephile perspective, and the reasoned, insightful, non reactionary takes on "The Lodgers". If listening to TP podcasts is something you're interested in check it out.
krzhuva

Post by krzhuva »

Completely agree re: The Lodgers. Just discovered them today, and it seems like exactly the kind of a cinephilic discussion I've been hungry for. Great guests, too, including Joel LostInTheMovies!
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

LostInTheMovies wrote:
I haven't been much compelled to check out the pro podcasts, honestly. I've been getting the sense that the "amateurs" do a much better job.
Generally I think that's probably true, though it's a little hard to differentiate between amateurs and professionals in the entertainment podcasting world. One exception here is the Entertainment Weekly Twin Peaks Podcast... I "rediscovered" this one because the name of the podcast is very similar to one of the amateur podcasts that I weeded out and mistakenly weeded this one out (apologies to the other podcast but listening to mainstream podcasters complain about the show not being mainstream ain't my thing). The EW podcast is pretty good though. The Robert Forester interview was a good one to listen to. When you hear him talk about the forests of the Pacific Northwest it's not hard to see why he and Lynch would enjoy working together.
Major Briggs
RR Diner Member

Post by Major Briggs »

The finale review of the Twin Peaks Podcast is up, and, as expected, they're mostly whining...