Different Twin Peaks podcasts

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Re: Different Twin Peaks podcasts

Post by AgentEcho »

It's been kind of interesting to see the world of television podcasting try and grapple with something like TP:TR, since it so cut against the grain of traditional response and analysis. Many of them seemed to be unable to acknowledge this disconnect and adapt. Not surprising with "The Twin Peaks Podcast" which was one of the easier ones to weed out (I guess I can thank them for making it so easy so I didn't waste too much time listening to them). Definitely more disappointing with "The Gifted and the Damned" which started out great, pre-TP:TR, but settled into standard podcasting gimmicks like giving ratings for every episode (and sorry, but I'd rather watch someone sweep the floor 1000 times over than listen to them read itunes reviews).

The cream of the crop has been The Lodgers, Counter Esperanto (just wish they'd done more during The Return, but what they did put out was great), and the EW podcast. The Twin Peaks Rewatch, Diane and the Australian TP:TR podcast were also quite good.
Twin Peaks Podcast
Roadhouse Member

Post by Twin Peaks Podcast »

Major Briggs wrote:The finale review of the Twin Peaks Podcast is up, and, as expected, they're mostly whining...
Because we have criticism, it's whining. Alright.
AgentEcho wrote:It's been kind of interesting to see the world of television podcasting try and grapple with something like TP:TR, since it so cut against the grain of traditional response and analysis. Many of them seemed to be unable to acknowledge this disconnect and adapt. Not surprising with "The Twin Peaks Podcast" which was one of the easier ones to weed out (I guess I can thank them for making it so easy so I didn't waste too much time listening to them). Definitely more disappointing with "The Gifted and the Damned" which started out great, pre-TP:TR, but settled into standard podcasting gimmicks like giving ratings for every episode (and sorry, but I'd rather watch someone sweep the floor 1000 times over than listen to them read itunes reviews).

The cream of the crop has been The Lodgers, Counter Esperanto (just wish they'd done more during The Return, but what they did put out was great), and the EW podcast. The Twin Peaks Rewatch, Diane and the Australian TP:TR podcast were also quite good.
So because we were disappointed you didn't listen? Were you only looking for opinions that affirmed your own?

I think if you look back at our history we loved just about every second of the original show. We couldn't predict how we'd feel about the new season, but it turned out it wasn't for us.

Believe me when I say the last thing I wanted was to hate Twin Peaks.
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

Twin Peaks Podcast wrote:
Major Briggs wrote:The finale review of the Twin Peaks Podcast is up, and, as expected, they're mostly whining...
Because we have criticism, it's whining. Alright.
AgentEcho wrote:It's been kind of interesting to see the world of television podcasting try and grapple with something like TP:TR, since it so cut against the grain of traditional response and analysis. Many of them seemed to be unable to acknowledge this disconnect and adapt. Not surprising with "The Twin Peaks Podcast" which was one of the easier ones to weed out (I guess I can thank them for making it so easy so I didn't waste too much time listening to them). Definitely more disappointing with "The Gifted and the Damned" which started out great, pre-TP:TR, but settled into standard podcasting gimmicks like giving ratings for every episode (and sorry, but I'd rather watch someone sweep the floor 1000 times over than listen to them read itunes reviews).

So because we were disappointed you didn't listen? Were you only looking for opinions that affirmed your own?

I think if you look back at our history we loved just about every second of the original show. We couldn't predict how we'd feel about the new season, but it turned out it wasn't for us.

Believe me when I say the last thing I wanted was to hate Twin Peaks.
Not at all. Several of the podcasts I liked expressed criticism and opinions I didn't agree with. I just appreciate people honing down their criticism down to personal experience and not absolutes.

You are making silly assumptions here. I'll offer an equivalent assumption about what you just wrote: So you think it's okay to criticize Twin Peaks but not okay to criticize your podcast?

You put yourself out there making the podcast, you should be able to take the same criticism you dish out. I hope people enjoyed your format and takes. I'm under no obligation to find value in it.
Twin Peaks Podcast
Roadhouse Member

Pretty much all of my criticism was down to "personal experience".

Many times I explained what I liked about the original series/how it made me feel and how the new series did the opposite of that.
Major Briggs
RR Diner Member

Post by Major Briggs »

Twin Peaks Podcast wrote:Pretty much all of my criticism was down to "personal experience".

Many times I explained what I liked about the original series/how it made me feel and how the new series did the opposite of that.
There are plenty of other podcasts and even board members that present their criticism with solid arguments and points of view. Your podcast, sadly, is based only on YOUR preconceived notions of what the series should or shouldn't be.

If you think Lynch has to make things to please whatever you want, you're definitely at the wrong series.
Twin Peaks Podcast
Roadhouse Member

Major Briggs wrote:
Twin Peaks Podcast wrote:Pretty much all of my criticism was down to "personal experience".

There are plenty of other podcasts and even board members that present their criticism with solid arguments and points of view. Your podcast, sadly, is based only on YOUR preconceived notions of what the series should or shouldn't be.

If you think Lynch has to make things to please whatever you want, you're definitely at the wrong series.
Just because he made what he wants, doesn't mean I have to like it or even agree with the direction he took it. I'm happy for him, but as for me I can primarily only convey why I don't like it from my personal feelings. (Occasionally I tried to judge it from an objective film making stand point as well, when it applied.)

Not sure what else you want from a person when they are trying to explain why they do or don't like a piece of media.
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

Don't take it too personally man. Like you didn't jive with the new show, I don't jive with fans lamenting about how a show isn't what they wanted. I really couldn't be less interested in what fans want out of a work of fiction. I find no value in it. I have no patience with fans who say things like "This isn't Twin Peaks". Actually it is, and the only people who get to define what Twin Peaks is is Mark Frost and David Lynch. Fans who try and claim higher authority then them are basically delusional.

That doesn't mean you got to like it. There are plenty of shows and movies I don't like but I try to minimize my investment when that happens, I'm not going to listen to a podcast about people discussing something I'm not into. I wouldn't be interested in hearing people criticize something that I'm not into either. My least favorite episode of The Return was part 6 and I probably listened to fewer podcasts about that episode than any other one. If I do listen to a podcast about a show, it's because I'm interested in hearing people engage with it and analyze it. There's a few podcasts that did that, and some that didn't. Not all the ones that did were fawning over every aspect of the show. TBH I wouldn't be that interested in that either, but I don't know that I heard a Twin Peaks Podcast I can say that about.

I hope you found it a valuable use of your time to do a podcast about a show you didn't like. Do you regret getting into this venture at all? If you did, why be upset that people might not find it a valuable use of their time to listen to it?
Twin Peaks Podcast
Roadhouse Member

AgentEcho wrote:I hope you found it a valuable use of your time to do a podcast about a show you didn't like. Do you regret getting into this venture at all? If you did, why be upset that people might not find it a valuable use of their time to listen to it?
Like I said, I didn't plan on not liking it. The original is my favorite thing ever. That's why I created the first Twin Peaks Podcast on the internet back in 2011.

I kept hoping it would get better. Indeed, everyone kept telling me I wasn't allowed to judge it until the end because it was an "18 hour movie". They assured me it would all come together in the end. Those sentiments, combined with my need to complete something I start as well as the "group therapy" type nature of discussing it with friends being helpful in dealing with my feelings, those are the reasons I kept podcasting about a show I didn't like.
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

That podcast was never good, whether they liked the show or not.

The lodgers have overtaken Diane for me as the best. Funny, insightful folks who know their shit when it comes to film.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Twin Peaks Podcast wrote:
AgentEcho wrote:I hope you found it a valuable use of your time to do a podcast about a show you didn't like. Do you regret getting into this venture at all? If you did, why be upset that people might not find it a valuable use of their time to listen to it?
Like I said, I didn't plan on not liking it. The original is my favorite thing ever. That's why I created the first Twin Peaks Podcast on the internet back in 2011.

I kept hoping it would get better. Indeed, everyone kept telling me I wasn't allowed to judge it until the end because it was an "18 hour movie". They assured me it would all come together in the end. Those sentiments, combined with my need to complete something I start as well as the "group therapy" type nature of discussing it with friends being helpful in dealing with my feelings, those are the reasons I kept podcasting about a show I didn't like.

Your podcast was/is great!
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

AgentEcho wrote:Actually it is, and the only people who get to define what Twin Peaks is is Mark Frost and David Lynch. Fans who try and claim higher authority then them are basically delusional.
I think David Lynch would disagree with the underlined part. As to "fans trying to claim higher authority over Lynch & Frost", well that's quite a delusional observation.
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

Agent Earle wrote:
AgentEcho wrote:Actually it is, and the only people who get to define what Twin Peaks is is Mark Frost and David Lynch. Fans who try and claim higher authority then them are basically delusional.
I think David Lynch would disagree with the underlined part. As to "fans trying to claim higher authority over Lynch & Frost", well that's quite a delusional observation.
Well, you snipped the part that illustrated that observation, which can be found all over the place including the podcast in discussion. If you make that much effort to not understand someone's point so you can argue with them, you won't find me a willing dance partner after this post. As to Lynch's take, neither of us speak for Lynch, but I suspect he'd say fans get to define the experience with they have with his art, but he gets to define the art itself and what the title of it is. We just had 18 parts of evidence as to how uninterested he is in meeting fans expectations of what "Twin Peaks" is.

EDIT: Haha, I just hopped into the "Do you prefer The Return to the Original" thread and saw you expressed the same opinion you snipped. I think I get you, and I'm perfectly content to agree to disagree with you on all things Twin Peaks.
Twin Peaks Podcast
Roadhouse Member

On a side note, I just listened to Brad Duke's episode on part 17 and it was very cathartic to hear someone so prominent in the Twin Peaks fandom have all the same issues I have with it. Made me feel less alone, which is something other people have said about our podcast. So now I know how they feel. :)
tamygdala
Roadhouse Member

Post by tamygdala »

As co-host of the Chopping Wood Inside podcast, I have listened to many insightful and entertaining Twin Peaks podcasts. I can certainly understand why someone would not want to invest time in a podcast that continually criticizes TPTR, even though I find that sort of commentary interesting, since I believe The Return was a masterpiece. It's a truly great work of art, unlike anything I've ever seen in episodic television, and will only continue to grow in stature over time, much like Fire Walk With Me. That's the magic of any Lynch directed project. His art lingers in the subconscious.

Even now, in the new golden age of television, we're still conditioned to expect resolution with the stories we invest in, characters have to serve some purpose to the story, everything should coalesce and offer a sense closure. But this is David Lynch, an artist who works in abstractions, and TPTR, in my opinion, was never intended to be an extension of the original series -- so comparing the two is futile. I remember what Frost said in one of the early interviews when TPTR was announced, saying a coffee cup will fly out the window. For me, that was a subtle hint that this was not going to be a nostalgia trip. I was ready to be taken on a bold new trip and was mesmerized by the entire journey. Whether your a fan or not it's hard to deny the sheer audacity of what Lynch and Frost created.
mickeyfickey
Roadhouse Member

Post by mickeyfickey »

Twin Peaks Podcast wrote:On a side note, I just listened to Brad Duke's episode on part 17 and it was very cathartic to hear someone so prominent in the Twin Peaks fandom have all the same issues I have with it. Made me feel less alone, which is something other people have said about our podcast. So now I know how they feel. :)

Except Brad has a way of articulating himself and providing concrete examples of where he feels The Return may have fallen short, which is great. On the other hand, your podcast consistently provides the most childish, insubstantial critiques. No discussion of subtext, or themes, recurring motifs, theories, etc. It embodies the absolute worst aspects of "recapper culture", peppered with long awkward silences between guests and you just interjecting with "What did you think of the next scene?" and a chorus of sarcastic responses. I'm sorry, but Brad must have said "I just don't trust David Lynch" a million fucking times in every episode. There is nothing of substance, or value, in listening to a viewpoint like that.

I think to label those critical of your podcast as simply being Lynch apologists is to simplify the listening audience to a great extent. There are very intelligent people out there that like to hear differing viewpoints, but they should be articulated properly and have some guest that can dive substantively into the content, not just "LOL, that sucks. It was dumb."

Not to mention the way that you guys would handle the criticism: Hand the feedback to Brad and just have him tell those writing in to "Fuck off". Yeah that really helps endear you to a listening audience :roll: :lol:

I started to listen to your review of episode 16, which is probably the most universally enjoyed of the entire new run, and you all used it as an opportunity for 22 minutes to bash:

Lynch's other projects
Chantal eating cheesies, no one can eat that many cheesies, lol
OMFG Lynch hates women and can't portray female characters.
Blue Apron?
Naomi Watts and her line delivery (really?)
Like Oh My God Lynch is staring at all the FBI machinery and they even had a FAX MACHINE THERE. A FAX MACHINE!!!!!

All this and we're 20 minutes into your podcast. Literally not one single positive comment. At which point you even stop and say "I know I'm being negative here, but it's just fun". Really? I would doubt there is anything other than a very small niche of Twin Peaks fans (or casual listeners in general) who would find any of that "FUN" to listen to, or gather any legitimate critiques from it.

Listening to the idlethumbs, entertainment weekly, twin peaks unwrapped or dishin' the percolator podcasts was immensely more entertaining, because the guests had flowing conversations and more than just a superficial analysis of the content.

Maybe this is a bit of harsh commentary on the quality of your podcast, but honestly since you're no stranger to handing out criticism, I'm sure you can take it in stride as well.