FBI gives up search for DB Cooper

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

garethw
RR Diner Member

FBI gives up search for DB Cooper

Post by garethw »

Surprised no one's posted this about Dale's namesake:

* FBI Is Giving Up On Solving The Mystery Of D.B. Cooper

I never knew that "D.B." weren't actually his initials at all. According TFA, he was just "Dan Cooper".
garethw
RR Diner Member

Re: FBI gives up search for DB Cooper

Post by garethw »

Ooops... Mordeen posted in the non-spoilers thread.

Wonder why everyone just posts everything in either the spoiler, non-spoiler or book thread nowadays.
Qubism
Roadhouse Member
Location: Another Place - Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

D.B. Cooper? Dale Bartholomew Cooper!

Post by Qubism »

Hey folks, everyone know about the legend of D.B.Cooper? If not:

One of the most intriguing mysteries in FBI history is the story of D.B. Cooper, and that's not even the name of the person in question. D.B. Cooper is a mere epithet ascribed by the media to the man known only as "Dan Cooper" who, on November 24, 1971, hijacked a passenger plane en route to Seattle from Oregon.

The flight in question was Flight 305, and as it climbed to mid-air on its way to Seattle, the man in seat 18C handed a note to the flight attendant claiming that he had a bomb in his bag. His demands? Four parachutes and $200,000 in twenty-dollar notes.

When Flight 305 touched down in Seattle, the passengers were exchanged for the money and the parachutes, before taking off again with "Dan Cooper" and the flight crew on board. Their destination was Mexico City, but the hijacker never made it there. As night began to fall, he parachuted out of the plane in an undefined wooded location between Seattle and Reno, and disappeared.
the-curious-case-of-d-b-cooper-and-how-it-influenced-david-lynch-s-twin-peaks-cooper-1059030.jpg
the-curious-case-of-d-b-cooper-and-how-it-influenced-david-lynch-s-twin-peaks-cooper-1059030.jpg (73.87 KiB) Viewed 7465 times
Did you know Agent Cooper's full name? It's Dale Bartholomew Cooper — D.B. Cooper.
This is no coincidence. According to the book Weird Washington by Jeff Davis, David Lynch named Agent Cooper as such in reference to D.B. Cooper and the mystery he left in his wake. An apt tribute for such a strange tale, to become a part of the riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma that is Twin Peaks.

Most of the above is ripped from this Movie Pilot post:
http://moviepilot.com/posts/3999851

Was anyone aware of Lynch's deliberate naming of Agent cooper, in fact I wonder how Jeff Davis found this out?

Maybe I should buy his book, but I've got a stack of reading material already building up pre-season TP:
Brad's Dukes awesome book, Reflections-an oral history of Twin Peaks,
John Thorne's Essential Wrapped In Plastic-Pathways To Twin Peaks
And my almost complete original Wrapped In Plastic Mags (to check out what John couldn't cram into the book!)
and of course I can't wait for Frost's book!

So again, anyone heard of this naming of Agent Cooper for D.B. Cooper before?
Qubism
Roadhouse Member
Location: Another Place - Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

Re: D.B. Cooper? Dale Bartholomew Cooper!

Post by Qubism »

Crap, didn't realise Mordeen and Garethw had already posted something about this.....clearly I'm not reading this board as religiously as I used to !!
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Bump.

A lawsuit has been filed to try to get the FBI to turn over files related to the case.

-Mordeen

P.S. Thanks for this thread. I posted it anecdotally on the non-spoiler thread because I wasn't sure it was worthy of its own.
Moving Through Time. . .
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

garethw wrote:Surprised no one's posted this about Dale's namesake:

* FBI Is Giving Up On Solving The Mystery Of D.B. Cooper

I never knew that "D.B." weren't actually his initials at all. According TFA, he was just "Dan Cooper".
Sorry, should have quoted you to alert the bump as well. Cheers.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

Mordeen wrote:
A lawsuit has been filed to try to get the FBI to turn over files related to the case.
"FIle it under 'F' for 'forget it'". :)
Mordeen wrote: P.S. Thanks for this thread. I posted it anecdotally on the non-spoiler thread because I wasn't sure it was worthy of its own.
No worries, and sorry if I sounded sarcastic. I personally think that any thread outside those three multi-hundred threads is refreshing, no matter how trivial.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

garethw wrote: No worries, and sorry if I sounded sarcastic.
Not at all.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .