FWWM fanedit (Phillip Jeffries scene)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

FWWM fanedit (Phillip Jeffries scene)

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

I just posted on Vimeo a preview of the fanedit I'm making of FWWM reinserting some of the MP back into the film (yeah, it should be done by now, I started years ago, thing is I had to start over from scratch, long story).
Anyway, here's the link. I'd appreciate some feedback from TP fans. Thanks in advance.

hopesfall
RR Diner Member

Re: FWWM fanedit (Phillip Jeffries scene)

Post by hopesfall »

Visually, the mix of the first two scenes are perfect. It just feels odd that Cooper instantly goes from playful and chirpy, into incredibly concerned and anxious about a dream he had about that particular day.

That's not really your fault though, the actual editing is great, as is the rest of the video. Nice work! :D
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Thanks hopesfall. Yeah, I thought about Cooper's sudden change of mood, but in a way I think it suits the character. In the show he would be flirty and playful with Audrey during breakfast and then changed his mood to serious and focused when he walked in the police station. I guess 'Phillip Jeffries' was a classified subject he wasn't allowed to discuss with anyone, even if it was only a dream, that's why he skipped his concern with Diane and took it to Gordon.

Anyway, really glad you liked it :)
curzon

Post by curzon »

Well done.

Do you plan to re-edit the full movie or just parts of it?
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

curzon wrote:Well done.

Do you plan to re-edit the full movie or just parts of it?
Thank you!
I'm doing the whole thing :D
jlyon1515
RR Diner Member

Post by jlyon1515 »

Nice job, Sam. As you probably recall, there was a lot of discussion back when Q2 was working on that fan edit, and though some disagreed, he and I both agreed that the Diane scene didn't fit the flow of the scenes around it so he left it out of his cut.

As was said, I think you did a good job with the flow between both sets of footage in your edit.

I'd have to go back and rewatch Q2's edit to remind me of all that he did, but I still prefer his edit. I remember when he was playing around with his edit before it was released, he showed me a few versions of this specific scene. It's clearly the hardest to edit together!

Like your edit here, Q2 didn't originally have the shot of the mask being removed to reveal the monkey's face. I begged him to somehow edit it back in, because it made more sense with the monkey's face being shown later in the film.

Other than that, I don't see any thing else that is very out of place. I just personally prefer the timing and order of Q2's final edit, though I'm clearly a bit biased as i was more involved with that one. I'm sure there will be many that prefer your edit over his.

I'm glad that you used my font-matched "Buenos Aires" text overlay too. :)
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

jlyon1515 wrote:Nice job, Sam. As you probably recall, there was a lot of discussion back when Q2 was working on that fan edit, and though some disagreed, he and I both agreed that the Diane scene didn't fit the flow of the scenes around it so he left it out of his cut.

As was said, I think you did a good job with the flow between both sets of footage in your edit.

I'd have to go back and rewatch Q2's edit to remind me of all that he did, but I still prefer his edit. I remember when he was playing around with his edit before it was released, he showed me a few versions of this specific scene. It's clearly the hardest to edit together!

Like your edit here, Q2 didn't originally have the shot of the mask being removed to reveal the monkey's face. I begged him to somehow edit it back in, because it made more sense with the monkey's face being shown later in the film.

Other than that, I don't see any thing else that is very out of place. I just personally prefer the timing and order of Q2's final edit, though I'm clearly a bit biased as i was more involved with that one. I'm sure there will be many that prefer your edit over his.

I'm glad that you used my font-matched "Buenos Aires" text overlay too. :)
Thanks for watching and for your comments Jared.
Yes, I do remember Q2's fanedit. He did such a good job that I'm even "stealing" some of his ideas for some crossover scenes that seemed impossible otherwise.
But I must say I was never too fond of splicing the theatrical cut and the MP cut together in the reunion above the convenience store scene. And I never liked the FWWM main theme playing in the background in that scene. I think it looks better and creepier with barely no music like in the MP.
But I agree with you, that scene is the hardest one, especially if you're splicing both cuts like he did.
Yes, I thought about the Diane scene, but like I said above, I think in a way it fits Cooper's personality to be jokey and cute in one minute, and focused and concerned in the next.

My main issue with his fanedit is that he reincorporated pretty much everything back into the film, and I think some scenes just don't belong. That's why I'm making my own edit picking the scenes more carefully.

Oh yes, I'm using all of your text overlay. You did some especially for my edit a few years ago remember? :)
Johnsusername
Roadhouse Member

Post by Johnsusername »

I'm late to all this Fan Edit stuff. I've just downloaded the Q2 FWWM and am really looking forward to watching it, as FWWM is one of my favourite ever films. I'm not totally sure where I stand with watching things that aren't Lynch's original vision (but then I guess FWWM wasn't exactly his vision anyway after all the cuts he had to make).

Sam Stanley did you ever finish your version?

Also, has anyone ever watched the Northwest Passage version of the show? I might download that as well (yes I own all the DVDs and Blu Rays!)
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Johnsusername wrote:I'm late to all this Fan Edit stuff. I've just downloaded the Q2 FWWM and am really looking forward to watching it, as FWWM is one of my favourite ever films. I'm not totally sure where I stand with watching things that aren't Lynch's original vision (but then I guess FWWM wasn't exactly his vision anyway after all the cuts he had to make).

Sam Stanley did you ever finish your version?

Also, has anyone ever watched the Northwest Passage version of the show? I might download that as well (yes I own all the DVDs and Blu Rays!)
Yep, all done. Q2 did a marvelous job, but he added stuff that I wouldn't, that's basically why I decided to make my own edit :wink:
Johnsusername
Roadhouse Member

Post by Johnsusername »

Interesting. And how could I get hold of a copy of your version? Or was this something you did for yourself?

Also - does anyone know where I can find the 5+hour Q2 fanedit Northwest Passage? I can't find a working torrent anywhere. I'd love to watch it over Christmas when I've got a bit of spare time.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Johnsusername wrote:Interesting. And how could I get hold of a copy of your version? Or was this something you did for yourself?

Also - does anyone know where I can find the 5+hour Q2 fanedit Northwest Passage? I can't find a working torrent anywhere. I'd love to watch it over Christmas when I've got a bit of spare time.
I did it mostly for myself but I'm willing to share it with anyone who might be interested.
Lemme upload the file to Mega and I'll PM you the link ;)

About Northwest Passage, I have no idea sorry.
secretlettermkr
RR Diner Member

Post by secretlettermkr »

I Want to watch your fan-edit too!
Johnsusername
Roadhouse Member

Post by Johnsusername »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
Johnsusername wrote:Interesting. And how could I get hold of a copy of your version? Or was this something you did for yourself?

I did it mostly for myself but I'm willing to share it with anyone who might be interested.
Lemme upload the file to Mega and I'll PM you the link ;)
That would be great, if you had the time :)

Oh, and I found the Northwest Passage eventually.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Resurrecting this thread to post the trailer I made for my fanedit. It started out as a recreation of the FWWM International trailer in HD but then turned out to be the trailer for my extended cut :lol:

Terence
Roadhouse Member

Post by Terence »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:Resurrecting this thread to post the trailer I made for my fanedit. It started out as a recreation of the FWWM International trailer in HD but then turned out to be the trailer for my extended cut :lol:

Hey Sam Stanley.

Where can i find your edit of this film & the deleted scenes?.

Can you send me a good link for it or is it on some torrent site?

Yeah i agree i would not put every scene from the missing pieces back into Fire Walk with Me.

What scenes did you leave out of your fanedit?