Twin Peaks Poll - First Time

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

How and when did you first experience Twin Peaks TV Series or FWWM?

Original Airing in 1990/1991
38%
Borrowed a Friends Taped VHS Episodes in the 90's
1%
Official VHS or Laserdisc in the 90's
4%
Warner Bros. Euro Pilot VHS or Laserdisc
1%
Twin Peaks FWWM Theatrical Release
1%
Twin Peaks FWWM VHS, Laserdisc, or on Cable
2%
Bravo Twin Peaks Airing in 1993
1%
Twin Peaks Pilot Theatrical Screening
0%
Twin Peaks Artisan/Paramount DVD Set
6%
Twin Peaks Gold Box Set
10%
Twin Peaks Entire Mystery Blu-ray 2014
3%
Twin Peaks on Netflix, Hulu, or CBS on Demand
12%
Twin Peaks on iTunes
1%
Illegal Download
7%
Original Airing Outside of US
13%

Total votes: 331
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Re: Twin Peaks Poll - First Time

Post by krishnanspace »

I actually pirated it but there was no way i could watch it in India.
Johnsusername
Roadhouse Member

Post by Johnsusername »

When it originally aired in the UK - September 90? 91? I was ten or eleven. Loved it. Had no idea what was going on. Nothing's really changed there haha.

I then saw FWWM a few years later (circa 96/97) as it had been on TV and LOVED IT. Rekindled a love of the show. Then Channel 5 stuck the show on repeat on a Sunday night (again circa 97) but then stopped showing it halfway through! I even wrote a letter to the channel demanding they put it back haha.

I bought the series 1 soundtrack, and then saw Lost Highway at the cinema and it was around this time I really got into David Lynch. Nothing would be the same again!
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

tausendsassa wrote:
Agent Sam Stanley wrote:1993 - rerun outside the US
Same here, rerun outside the US around the same time. I was turned off by the hype around the show's initial run here in Germany, and thought "what is this Twin Peaks crap?" ;-) Besides we didn't have cable at home at the time.
I'm in Brazil. TP's original run here was in 1991, but I was too little to be interested. My parents watched it tho (or at least tried to). The TV station wasn't satisfied with the ratings so they started to botch the show and remove large portions of episodes so they could get to the killer reveal faster. Thank God I didn't watch that, it was awful.
The 1993 rerun was in a smaller channel and they showed all the episodes untouched. That's the one I watched, thankfully.
DirkG
RR Diner Member

Post by DirkG »

Rerun outside of US (Pilot).

They did a rerun right before the release of the original Season 2 DVDs in Finland and I caught the pilot there. Unfortunately I missed episode 1 the next week and saw only the last minutes of episode two that thankfully caught my attention. (Red Room). So after that I decided to seek it out on youtube and lo and behold there it was (I had an aversion to bittorrent during that time so that's why I tried youtube as my first attempt).

Episodes 1-16 on Youtube.

Luckily I caught a description below the video of the uploader that he from that point onwards he was going to start editing out the bad parts of the show. WTF I tought, I'm having none of that! I myself decides what is 'bad' and 'good' in an episode. I therefore refused to watch his channel further and begun a long wait for the Season 2 DVDs to finally get out.

Episodes 17-29 on Season 2 DVDs.

I remember the wait between the first and the second parts of Season 2 box sets as being particularly long and torturesome, although I don't remember exactly how long- (they were released as you might remember as a two-parter in at least certain regions of Europe, and that included mine.)

So there's the correct answer. Three different ones. :D
Hercousin
Roadhouse Member

Post by Hercousin »

Watched original broadcast at age 10. Obsessed and devastated June 1991-2015. Can't believe this is happening.
sugarhigh
Roadhouse Member

Post by sugarhigh »

During it's original airing, my best friend had called to tell me about it. She described the pilot episode and said it was kind of like Rivers Edge. At the time my friend was obsessed with the Young Riders TV series, so I disregarded her Twin Peaks recommendation. I mean, if her taste was so bad that she was watching Young Riders, Twin Peaks must be horrible too, lol.
A couple of weeks later I sit down in my high school English class and my teacher, Mr. Johnson, starts talking about a movie director named David Lynch. I had seen parts of the Elephant Man and Dune on TV, and had seen Eraserhead t-shirts and posters at all the cool record stores and punk clothing stores, but that's about all I knew of his work at the time. He then tells us that we will be watching his new TV show called Twin Peaks, and that we were all to take notes and to really pay attention to details and actions that may be taking place in the background or on the fake soap opera that some of the characters watch. He said everything could be a clue.
This was probably around the airing of episode 4 or 5, once we caught up in class I began to watch the episodes on TV as they aired.
I really wish I still had all of the notes I took while watching it in his class.
Then, at the beginning of the next school year, the Laura Palmer Diary was published. I bought it at a local mall and read the entire thing while sitting on a bench, smoking clove cigarettes. I remember discussing it with my classmates, but when one of them asked Mr. Johnson if he had read it, he told us he couldn't talk about it and we weren't going to be watching season 2 in his classroom, haha.
A salamander spit donuts.
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

dugpa wrote:How did you first experience Twin Peaks? Let me know if I've missed an option.
Original Norwegian broadcast 90-91. Have a definite feeling though, that most Europeans here voted the "Original Airing in 1990/1991"-option and not the "Original Airing Outside of US"-option. No way there's only four of us. Maybe you could merge the two? If it's possible.
emptiem

Post by emptiem »

I was about 10 when it came out, didn't realize it was such a bizarre and unique show...over the years my mind wasn't sure what was Northern Exposure, Twin Peaks or Picket Fences. I assumed they were all simple and similar shows, so I never watched them.

In the early 2000's I saw Mulholland Dr. and it sent me on a David Lynch spree, luckily the local video store had a cult classics section, so I binge watched all the original VHS tapes. It became an instant favorite.
sjroby

Post by sjroby »

Bravo Canada, 1995. Monday to Friday at 6 PM. Getting through weekends was so difficult that I'm glad I didn't watch the original broadcast. (Saw part of one episode and decided I'd missed too much to start there.) I went right out and bought VHS versions of the European pilot, FWWM, and Blue Velvet.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

I'm not even gonna say how old I was when I first saw it. But everybody at work was watching and talking about it. We even played the soundtrack on cassette! And I saw FWWM twice in the theater...
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
Andrea

Post by Andrea »

bob_wooler wrote:
dugpa wrote:How did you first experience Twin Peaks? Let me know if I've missed an option.
Original Norwegian broadcast 90-91. Have a definite feeling though, that most Europeans here voted the "Original Airing in 1990/1991"-option and not the "Original Airing Outside of US"-option. No way there's only four of us. Maybe you could merge the two? If it's possible.
I think Bob's right here. I too voted 'original' ... I'm from Italy, and the 'outside US' choice wasn't available initially... but in the end.. for us.. it's still the original run
At the time no one could watch a US series in "real-time".. no streaming then ahah
I'd also vote.. for merging them :)
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Annie wrote:I'm not even gonna say how old I was when I first saw it. But everybody at work was watching and talking about it. We even played the soundtrack on cassette! And I saw FWWM twice in the theater...
I feel that you are the oldest among all of us
The Man

Post by The Man »

I think l saw the original airing in the UK. Not all of it, mind, but certainly the final few episodes and l get deja vu about other parts now that l've re-watched it all on DVD. Cooper entering the Black Lodge? Harrowing. I'm sure l had to turn the TV off or change channel for parts of that.

Somehow l got the gist of Twin Peaks from Cooper driving into town at the start and the title sequence with the "Falling" song and the heavy industry. So expressive. Eventually got drawn in as the series ended (like Cooper, somewhat).

I'm glad l was a young teenager then. To me, it was just this weird, creepy thing that used to happen in my bedroom at night. I tried to discuss it with other people but nobody would listen. I think it's better that way.
FredTruax

Post by FredTruax »

There are 1990 fans and then there are 19-F*#!'N-90 FANS

we have the summer re-run camp who watched the rebroadcast during the hype bubble-these people are OG and are among the coolest cats among these forums BUT even they have to yield to the super duper "I was there first so piss off" OOGs. These were the people watching during the spring of 90 and they form a rarified club with very special privileges like getting calls (texts over the last few years) from Lynch on April 8 and they get to proofread galley prints from M. Frost. All discussion and argument ends with their point of view and they are the envy of anyone who knows verbatim the fire walk with me poem. You will never be in their club so don't even try just marvel at there awesomeness and commit to memory anything they say on the subject of twin peaks (which they call NP amongst themselves; if you know why you are kind of worthy, if you don't you don't even deserve to be reading or thinking about them).

[quote][/quote]
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Rough week?
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.