The first line of TP's central mystery

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

derekfnord

The first line of TP's central mystery

Post by derekfnord »

It's always struck me as odd.

The very first line that really introduces us to the mystery is Pete calling Harry and saying, "She's dead. Wrapped in plastic." Then Harry replies, "Whoa, hang on, Pete. Hang on a second. Where?"

What's odd about it (to me)?

Pete's line seems to imply that he knows who it is (even though we -- the audience -- know he doesn't). He doesn't say, "A girl is dead," or, "Some woman is dead," or the like. He says, "She's dead." Like he expects Harry to just know who he means. But I get it; Pete is flustered, and it's understandable that he's not making a whole lot of sense.

But now put yourself in Harry's shoes. (Remember: you're dating Josie, and you know that -- although Pete loves Catherine -- Pete and Catherine's relationship is tense.) When Pete says, "She's dead," which sounds like he knows the identity of the dead female, what would instantly go through your mind?

Most likely, you'd assume he means either Catherine or Josie. The former would sound like he's reporting a death in which he might be a suspect, and the latter would mean he was telling you your girlfriend was dead.

Would your first reaction really be, "Where?" I know if I were in his place, my first reaction would definitely be "Who?"

Harry certainly seems as surprised as Dr. Hayward is when he pulls the plastic back to reveal Laura's face, but do you think there's any chance he actually wasn't that surprised? I dunno... there's just something vague about the vibe of the phone call and the body identification scene that somehow gives me the impression that maybe Harry knew something of what Laura was involved in (maybe through the Bookhouse Boys), and was sort of expecting to get this call at some point.

Has anyone else thought about this, or am I just overanalyzing? :)
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Re: The first line of TP's central mystery

Post by krishnanspace »

It wouldn't have made sense ,because the audience weren't aware that Truman was dating Josie at the beginning of the series
Ped
Roadhouse Member

Post by Ped »

It's certainly a strange way to tell the police that you've found a dead body for sure, but there was a lot of strange things in Twin Peaks and the pilot. Pete Martell wasn't your average joe and this way of introducing us to the wonderfully weird characters fits right in with the vibe that's set. The quote is arguably the most famous line in Twin Peaks and it is cemented in TV history. That's how I've always looked at it. But yeah, if I ever phone the cops when I find a body wrapped in plastic, I won't be incriminating myself with that line!
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

I think you're overanalyzing it.
The scene is one of my favourites and I think they say what they say because of stylistic reasons. I absolutely love it!
"Your log and I are on the same page."
Eater of Iguanas
RR Diner Member

Post by Eater of Iguanas »

Funny enough, although I'm sure you, like most of us, have watched this scene a hundred times, you're slightly misremembering it.

PETE: She's dead. Wrapped in plastic.

(Cut to Harry.)

HARRY: Whoa whoa whoa, hold on, hold on a second, Pete. (pause) Where?

In that pause, Pete said something like "There's a body up here." Such phrasing would make it pretty obvious that Pete didn't know whose it was.

Now, it's occasionally bothered me slightly that the pause is so short... there's barely any time for Pete to convey any information at all. But that's a pretty standard shortcut with phone dialogue exchanges.

As far as the oddness of Pete's line, yeah, that's just Pete and Peaks.
Eater of Iguanas
RR Diner Member

Post by Eater of Iguanas »

Welcome to the board, by the way!
Dead Dog
RR Diner Member

Post by Dead Dog »

And remember that Harry seems genuinely dumbfounded by the contents of Laura's safety deposit box, as well as every peeling away of her layers of secrecy. Pete's phone call is odd, no doubt, but I always saw it as just one of those quirky Lynch line deliveries.
David Locke
RR Diner Member

Post by David Locke »

I think it's as simple as that they wanted to get that iconic shot of Harry and Doc (and Pete, et al) looking on as the plastic is "unwrapped" and Laura's face is revealed, to them and to us. The reveal of her identity (even if it means nothing to us 10 minutes into the series, it means everything to them) was a crucial moment -- and it wouldn't be nearly as powerful if it were just casually done by Pete himself, because Harry asked him over the phone who the dead body was. Anyway, it's most likely that Harry wouldn't ask a civilian (and possible suspect) to potentially tamper with a crime scene. He'd want Pete to just leave everything as he found it, and let the police take care of the rest. And besides, I feel that in that situation the simple fact of there being a dead body would take precedence over who it might be. Harry is presented as a workmanlike, no-nonsense cop, so it makes sense that he would simply want to get down to the scene himself ASAP instead of staying on the phone any longer.

Also, it's a quirky, memorable piece of dialogue that has effortlessly sealed its place in pop-culture history. 8)
Mibbler
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mibbler »

I think this scene (and other very similar in the pilot) are explained when Bobby, in Laura´s burial scene, blames the whole town for not having helped her despite all of them knew she had problems. At least, that´s my interpretation. I think almost everyone in Twin Peaks, deep down, could have ever thought that a crime like that would eventually have happened but nobody would have never admitted it. I think it´s the way Lynch & Frost tells the audience that all of us can be very hypocrite in our daily life.