FIRE WALK WITH ME script

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Specialagentjeffries

FIRE WALK WITH ME script

Post by Specialagentjeffries »

Hi everyone,

I, for one, absolutely love FWWM. I do not think it has structure problems and love how it expanded the Twin Peaks universe with Deer Meadows and Philadelphia, and the music.
On some days, I sometimes feel the death of Laura is a little rushed, but that's just because I'd like to see a little more after this long crescendo.

However, when I read the shooting script and watch the missing pieces, there are scenes that I wish would have made the final cut:

- Chet Desmond finding a golf ball under Teresa's trailer (a nice nod to the series and explains why Desmond looks under the Chalfonts' trailer later on).

-The Norwegian dinner with the Palmers, as it introduces Leland in a smoother way (and it's the only scene where Leland is lighter like in the series).

-And finally, I love how the scene with Leland staring at Laura in their garden on the last evening gives a feeling of "unavoidableness" to the film's conclusion (the murder).

What do you think of those scenes, or which scenes would you have left in the final cut?
Last edited by Specialagentjeffries on Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Re: RE: FIRE WALK WITH ME script

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Specialagentjeffries wrote: - Chet Desmond finding a golf ball under Teresa's trailer (a nice nod to the series and explains why Desmond looks under the Chalfonts' trailer later on)
The first time I've read that I thought it had relation to Leland using a golf club to crush Teresa's skull (the same he used later to play golf in the living room after killing Maddy) but later I've noticed he uses a piece of wood to kill Teresa.
Specialagentjeffries

Re: RE: Re: RE: FIRE WALK WITH ME script

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
Specialagentjeffries wrote: - Chet Desmond finding a golf ball under Teresa's trailer (a nice nod to the series and explains why Desmond looks under the Chalfonts' trailer later on)
The first time I've read that I thought it had relation to Leland using a golf club to crush Teresa's skull (the same he used later to play golf in the living room after killing Maddy) but later I've noticed he uses a piece of wood to kill Teresa.
Yes, you're right about the murder weapon.
For myself, I presumed that Leland carried Teresa's body in his golf bag, before throwing the body in the Wind River.
asmahan
RR Diner Member

Re: FIRE WALK WITH ME script

Post by asmahan »

For the most part, I think the final cut of the film is skillfully economical in its scenes. For instance, the scene with Hornes was better off not in it as well as the penultimate scene of BadCooper, in my opinion. However, I really liked the scene in the script with Donna, Laura, and Eileen eating muffins as well as the dynamic between Donna and Laura in general, which seems less confrontational than in the film. It provided a nice contrast to Laura's stressful private life and horrific home life.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: FIRE WALK WITH ME script

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Specialagentjeffries wrote: For myself, I presumed that Leland carried Teresa's body in his golf bag, before throwing the body in the Wind River.
Interesting, never thought about that.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

While I support the late decision to shift a few scenes between 1988 and 1989, it's a damn tragedy that this new sequence of events had no room for the "QUICKLY MEN... WORD ASSOCIATION" scene. A thing of beauty. Partly because Albert, partly because it defines what a normal work day must be like for Gordon and his people. FWWM's depiction of the FBI (or at least Gordon's blue rose group) is deliciously surreal, one of the many high points of the movie for me, and I lap it all up. I still can't believe we're getting more lynchian feds next week, it's a dream come true.

For completely different reasons, I would've liked to see Harry and Josie's "fish eyes" scene. Not because it looked particularly interesting. But seven lines of Harry monologuing? How... how does that work? I can usually imagine the various actors performing their unseen/unshot scenes from the script but I honestly cannot picture Ontkean going through that monologue. I'd need to see it happen with my own eyes.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Any place to read the original script? Does this include stuff that wasn't in the Missing Pieces (i.e., never filmed, like Ben Horne's stuff? I assume Audrey just wasn't in the script at all?)

I'm mostly just curious about the differences.

(For what it's worth, out of the Missing Pieces stuff, there's only a couple things I think I would've preferred left in the film; the more fleshed out Jeffries stuff, the scene with Laura and Doc Hayward .. not sure what else)
Specialagentjeffries

Re: RE: Re: FIRE WALK WITH ME script

Rudagger wrote:Any place to read the original script? Does this include stuff that wasn't in the Missing Pieces (i.e., never filmed, like Ben Horne's stuff? I assume Audrey just wasn't in the script at all?)

I'm mostly just curious about the differences.

(For what it's worth, out of the Missing Pieces stuff, there's only a couple things I think I would've preferred left in the film; the more fleshed out Jeffries stuff, the scene with Laura and Doc Hayward .. not sure what else)
You can read the shooting script here:

http://www.lynchnet.com/fwwm/fwwmscript.html

Yes, the scene with Ben Horne is in it.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

So I just remembered that the shooting script was out there. I skimmed through it years ago but am now gonna re-read with a renewed interest.

I just scrolled to the very bottom of the page to get an idea of how long it was, and the first thing I see is this:
BLACK LODGE/RED ROOM

Laura is sitting in a chair. As the end credits begin...

We move back to see that Laura is sitting in Cooper's lap in the
same chair.

FADE OUT.

THE END
Oh. my. god. That is a considerably different tone to what Lynch went for in the end.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

There's also the snippet of the very early draft we glimpsed online not long ago, which had Laura's dream featuring Cooper, not Annie. She asks him why he couldn't save her and they make love. To my knowledge that has never leaked.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

N. Needleman wrote:There's also the snippet of the very early draft we glimpsed online not long ago, which had Laura's dream featuring Cooper, not Annie. She asks him why he couldn't save her and they make love. To my knowledge that has never leaked.
Oh, wow. How do we know about it?
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Specialagentjeffries wrote:Hi everyone,

I, for one, absolutely love FWWM. I do not think it has structure problems and love how it expanded the Twin Peaks universe with Deer Meadows and Philadelphia, and the music.
On some days, I sometimes feel the death of Laura is a little rushed, but that's just because I'd like to see a little more after this long crescendo.

However, when I read the shooting script and watch the missing pieces, there are scenes that I wish would have made the final cut:

- Chet Desmond finding a golf ball under Teresa's trailer (a nice nod to the series and explains why Desmond looks under the Chalfonts' trailer later on).

-The Norwegian dinner with the Palmers, as it introduces Leland in a smoother way (and it's the only scene where Leland is lighter like in the series).

-And finally, I love how the scene with Leland staring at Laura in their garden on the last evening gives a feeling of "unavoidableness" to the film's conclusion (the murder).

What do you think of those scenes, or which scenes would you have left in the final cut?
More than anything, I think Norwegian dinner with the Palmers would have been a better introduction to the family and a more effective setup, especially as a a sharp contrast to the "Wash Your Hands" scene. As it is in the final cut, unless you're familiar with the series, Leland's exit from the house in "It's Not Him" scene seems entirely confounding.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I think the main (really, the only) structural problem with FWWM is the first half-hour. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad those characters were introduced into the TP world (especially Carl Rodd), and I'm even grateful for the extra glimpses we get of them in The Missing Pieces (Stanley interacting with Cooper!). It made me sad while rewatching the film to think that the existing footage of Chet & Sam is apparently all we'll ever see of them. That being said, though, Lynch's films typically feel very unified -- often, the ending brings us right back to the beginning (or the beginning hints at the ending), e.g., Lost Highway, Blue Velvet, Mulholland Drive (with the red pillow). FWWM is the sore thumb anomaly. Yes, it begins and ends with a Bob murder victim floating in a river, but there's a dramatic shift in POV from the first half-hour to the rest of the film (we're jarringly yanked from the shoes of the investigator and jammed into the shoes of the victim) -- it doesn't feel of a piece thematically.

That, coupled with the fact that we don't see a character from the TV series who isn't played by Lynch himself until 27 minutes in (and don't see the main character of the film until the 33 minute mark) makes the opening sequence feel like a very prolonged prologue which detracts from the film itself as a unified work (although, as I said, I do love those characters and feel they contribute immensely to the TP franchise as a whole). Ideally, in today's world, the adventures of Chet & Sam would have been a webisode tie-in to the movie.

I think some trimming to the opening could have allowed Lynch to include the Norwegian dinner scene, as well as more Sarah material from the Missing Pieces -- Zabriskie is woefully underutilized in the finished film. (I adore the little moment in the Missing Pieces where Sarah slams the piano in frustration over her disconnect from her daughter, and a spark explodes from her cigarette.)
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

So many wonderful Grace moments in the Missing Peices. Much of her best work was unfortunately cut.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

There really aren't many deleted scenes I could say I wish were in the film, simply because of how much I love Missing Pieces as its own entity. Adding some of them to FWWM would only detract from MP. That being said, I agree that the Norwegian dinner should've been included. It's something that, once you've seen it, feels like it's actually "missing" from the film. I'm more on the fence about Laura's visit to the Hayward house, although it is an amazing scene.
I'll see you in the trees