Original Season 3 Plans

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Re: Original Season 3 Plans

Post by Agent Earle »

Valaquen wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:Jean Renault is one of the most underrated characters in the TP lore in my opinion (much more memorable than Jacques). I wish they would've used him more - what a great, savory nemesis for Cooper. Each second he's on screen was immediately ingrained in my memory for all eternity and it's always great to meet a fellow JR appreciator! :)
Long live Michael Parks. Ideally I'd have loved Renault to tangle with Windom Earle, and form a triumvirate with Leo. But Windom crept around in his pyjamas most of the time and JR left the screen early. But what a great villain, and a memorable performance.
The King is dead, long live the King, indeed! BTW, check out direct-to-DVD flick From Dusk Till Dawn 3: The Hangman's Daughter (no, it definitely isn't as bad as it sounds!) if you haven't already - it contains one of the very best Parks performances hands down. Well worth any Parks' fan's (as well as any lover of weird cinema's) time!
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Semi-on topic, given the references to Dead Dog Farm in recent posts: I’ve been reading up a bit on the production of Dune, probably the DKL film I’m least well versed in behind-the-scenes-wise (due in large part to the relative dearth of information readily available in most sources). However, i learned that a key location used for filming some desert/battle scenes and the castle wall was a place the crew nicknamed Dead Dog Dump, for obvious reasons. Yet more proof that DKL probably had more contributions on at least some scattered elements of this period of TP than he now cares to acknowledge.
kitty666cats
RR Diner Member

Post by kitty666cats »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Semi-on topic, given the references to Dead Dog Farm in recent posts: I’ve been reading up a bit on the production of Dune, probably the DKL film I’m least well versed in behind-the-scenes-wise (due in large part to the relative dearth of information readily available in most sources). However, i learned that a key location used for filming some desert/battle scenes and the castle wall was a place the crew nicknamed Dead Dog Dump, for obvious reasons. Yet more proof that DKL probably had more contributions on at least some scattered elements of this period of TP than he now cares to acknowledge.
Ooh, very interesting! Dead Dog Farm, oh what you could have been...
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

kitty666cats wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:Semi-on topic, given the references to Dead Dog Farm in recent posts: I’ve been reading up a bit on the production of Dune, probably the DKL film I’m least well versed in behind-the-scenes-wise (due in large part to the relative dearth of information readily available in most sources). However, i learned that a key location used for filming some desert/battle scenes and the castle wall was a place the crew nicknamed Dead Dog Dump, for obvious reasons. Yet more proof that DKL probably had more contributions on at least some scattered elements of this period of TP than he now cares to acknowledge.
It's comforting to know that others are as emotional about Dead Dog Farm as I am. Did they nail the mood with that or what?
kitty666cats
RR Diner Member

Post by kitty666cats »

Mr. Strawberry wrote:
kitty666cats wrote:
It's comforting to know that others are as emotional about Dead Dog Farm as I am. Did they nail the mood with that or what?
The name of the place was PERFECT, and the set design for the place was phenomenal. Sure, some aspects like Ernie Niles cheesed it up a bit, but it was a great location that could have been utilized so very much more! The way Irene (was that her name?) described it was like Hawk speaking of the Black Lodge!

If I remember correctly, wasn't there even a formica table in there?!

EDIT:
http://www.glastonberrygrove.net/texts/episode19.html
the script explicitly mentions a formica table, haha
"COOPER walks up to the nearby kitchen table, an old Formica table from 50’s. He spots an ash tray filled with cigarettes.'
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

kitty666cats wrote:
Mr. Strawberry wrote:
kitty666cats wrote:
The name of the place was PERFECT, and the set design for the place was phenomenal. Sure, some aspects like Ernie Niles cheesed it up a bit, but it was a great location that could have been utilized so very much more! The way Irene (was that her name?) described it was like Hawk speaking of the Black Lodge!

If I remember correctly, wasn't there even a formica table in there?!

EDIT:
http://www.glastonberrygrove.net/texts/episode19.html
the script explicitly mentions a formica table, haha
"COOPER walks up to the nearby kitchen table, an old Formica table from 50’s. He spots an ash tray filled with cigarettes.'
Good eye! That being said, the link is for a fan made transcript of ep.19 and not the actual script, so the table being formica might not have been important to Peyton/Engels. Would be interesting to see the actual script.
dreamshake
RR Diner Member

Post by dreamshake »

I love dead dog farm so much. one of the best moments during the dip in quality in the middle of season 2. jean renault's dialogue when he holds coop hostage there is great. it's one of the first time I can remember the show establishes any sort of darker internal conflict within cooper.

"Before you came here, Twin Peak was a simple place. My brothers deal dope to the teenagers and the truck drivers. One-Eyed Jack welcome the businessman and the tourist. Quiet people live a quiet life. Then a pretty girl die and you arrive and everything change. My brother Bernardo shot and left to die in the ... the woods. A grieving father smother my remaining brother with a ... a pillow. Kidnapping, dead. Suddenly the quiet people they’re quiet no more. Suddenly the ... the simple dream become the nightmare. So, if you die maybe you will be the last to die. Maybe you brought the ... the nightmare with you and maybe the nightmare will die with you."

And you can tell from Cooper's reaction that he's visibly upset at what Jean says. There's also a lot of language in there that has new/more significant context in light of Season 3 e.g. "maybe the nightmare will die with you"
dkenny78
RR Diner Member

Post by dkenny78 »

eyeboogers wrote:
Good eye! That being said, the link is for a fan made transcript of ep.19 and not the actual script, so the table being formica might not have been important to Peyton/Engels. Would be interesting to see the actual script.
I checked the actual script, and there's no mention of the table being formica. That said, it's possible the imagery of Dead Dog Farm was firmly in Engels's head when he was writing FWWM and the convenience store.