Original Season 3 Plans

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Original Season 3 Plans

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

The interpersonal dynamics are interesting. Bob Engels came on as Mark’s longtime friend, but then seems to have become DKL’s surrogate for Mark when the L/F partnership deteriorated. Now that Mark and David are back on good terms, I wonder if DKL still would have any interest in collaborating with Engels. I also wonder about the nature of Mark and Bob’s relationship these days.

It seems like Peyton bears no ill will against DKL, despite having been treated rather poorly (and he has also said he communicates with Mark on a near-daily basis), but I don’t think DKL has so much as acknowledged Harley’s existence in decades.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

N. Needleman wrote:Lynch would of course never allow it.

I wonder how Lynch feels about Engels and Peyton these days. Peyton, who he allegedly didn't get along so well with, is doing excellent work on SyFy's deeply underrated Channel Zero anthology. I think both men did wonderful work on the original series and the best anyone could to carry his vision in his and Frost's collective absences. I'd still love to see them work on something Peaks-related again, but I think even if Lynch regards them kindly today (and I doubt he harbors any hatred) the likelihood of that happening is approximately zero. In every interview and even his new book talking about the show's highs and lows, he has retaken full control and will not be letting it go again.
True. I loved the stuff they brought to the show, the mythology especially
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:It seems like Peyton bears no ill will against DKL, despite having been treated rather poorly (and he has also said he communicates with Mark on a near-daily basis), but I don’t think DKL has so much as acknowledged Harley’s existence in decades.
Which is a shame if true. But I also don't think Lynch is holding a grudge.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
kitty666cats
RR Diner Member

Post by kitty666cats »

I wonder how Lynch feels about Engels and Peyton these days. Peyton, who he allegedly didn't get along so well with, is doing excellent work on SyFy's deeply underrated Channel Zero anthology. I think both men did wonderful work on the original series and the best anyone could to carry his vision in his and Frost's collective absences. I'd still love to see them work on something Peaks-related again, but I think even if Lynch regards them kindly today (and I doubt he harbors any hatred) the likelihood of that happening is approximately zero. In every interview and even his new book talking about the show's highs and lows, he has retaken full control and will not be letting it go again.
I've become convinced (especially after S3) that Peyton and Engels may have been the true geniuses behind the original run and responsible for all the things I love so much. I thought it was Mark Frost at first, but maybe it's them. Lynch sets a great mood, but it seems he did very little writing and only directing in the 90s seasons. Good writing means much more to me than good directing!
kitty666cats
RR Diner Member

Post by kitty666cats »

Even sections of Season 2 that a lot of people find cringe-worthy, I still have a whole lot of appreciation for. One thing that comes to mind is Dead Dog Farm. That was a very interesting set, especially what the realtor lady had to say about it... about how the best and worst people are drawn to it, or whatever it was she said. Could have been utilized more! Dead Dog Farm could even have been a suitable replacement for the abandoned lot in Buckhorn from Season 3, in a perfect world where S3 was filmed in the early 90s haha.

I would love for this thread to become a beacon for good ideas for a potential early 90s Season 3 that all of us have dreamed up in the past. Like I said before, the idea they had about Briggs being the only one with the capacity to rescue good Coop from the Black Lodge was SUCH a solid idea that they apparently had brewing up. Boundless potential in that idea, alone. I suppose Hawk going in there with Briggs would have worked too! We got teased with that in the real Season 3 :(
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I am still holding out for one of the Truman brothers driving a truck backwards through fields of corn (or was it just a road initially?), as I believe was discussed re: early iterations of FWWM or Season 3. Roll on Season 4!
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

kitty666cats wrote:
I've become convinced (especially after S3) that Peyton and Engels may have been the true geniuses behind the original run and responsible for all the things I love so much. I thought it was Mark Frost at first, but maybe it's them. Lynch sets a great mood, but it seems he did very little writing and only directing in the 90s seasons. Good writing means much more to me than good directing!
AMEN to that! I feel exactly the same. Of course, when I was a little lad and information about such things as an overseas TV production, especially ongoing, was scarce in my part of the world, I thought Lynch was a one-man army responsible for the whole shebang. Seriously, I though he was the one who came up with all the concepts, themes and ideas, even for such characters as Ernie Niles, Evelyn Marsh, Little Nicky, Andrew Packard, Lana Milford, John Justice Wheeler, Windom Earle of course, the whole lot from the universally loathed back part of season 2.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

kitty666cats wrote:Even sections of Season 2 that a lot of people find cringe-worthy, I still have a whole lot of appreciation for. One thing that comes to mind is Dead Dog Farm. That was a very interesting set, especially what the realtor lady had to say about it... about how the best and worst people are drawn to it, or whatever it was she said. Could have been utilized more! Dead Dog Farm could even have been a suitable replacement for the abandoned lot in Buckhorn from Season 3, in a perfect world where S3 was filmed in the early 90s haha.

I would love for this thread to become a beacon for good ideas for a potential early 90s Season 3 that all of us have dreamed up in the past. Like I said before, the idea they had about Briggs being the only one with the capacity to rescue good Coop from the Black Lodge was SUCH a solid idea that they apparently had brewing up. Boundless potential in that idea, alone. I suppose Hawk going in there with Briggs would have worked too! We got teased with that in the real Season 3 :(
Dead Dog Farm was aces! And the subplot that sees Jean Renault meeting his end there and the speech he gives to Cooper beforehand ("maybe the nightmare came here with you and when you're gone so will be gone the nightmare ...") are pure dynamite! And then, just when those troubles end favourably for our hero and things seem to have settled down, there's the corpse of the vagrant arranged in a creepy way waiting for them at the sheriff's station - an omen of something much more sinister looming on the horizon for Cooper. Pure TP bliss!
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I think using Dead Dog Farm again would've been lovely. I was always fond of that bit of lore.
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

kitty666cats wrote:

Channel Zero is a great show. The First 2 seasons i thought were truly awesome. The 3rd season was just okay. Season 1, Candle Cove even had a red room type set where the protagonist confronts his missing brother aswell as a creepy monster in the finale. Also the tooth fairy creature is one of the freakiest things I've seen in a movie or TV. Fantastic makeup job on that thing.
marchug
RR Diner Member
Location: Where the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

Post by marchug »

kitty666cats wrote:I've become convinced (especially after S3) that Peyton and Engels may have been the true geniuses behind the original run and responsible for all the things I love so much. I thought it was Mark Frost at first, but maybe it's them. Lynch sets a great mood, but it seems he did very little writing and only directing in the 90s seasons. Good writing means much more to me than good directing!
Amen. AAAAAMEN!
-23-
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

N. Needleman wrote:I think using Dead Dog Farm again would've been lovely. I was always fond of that bit of lore.
For me it was the Book House Boys lore that intrigued me.
Valaquen
Roadhouse Member

Post by Valaquen »

Agent Earle wrote:
kitty666cats wrote:Even sections of Season 2 that a lot of people find cringe-worthy, I still have a whole lot of appreciation for. One thing that comes to mind is Dead Dog Farm. That was a very interesting set, especially what the realtor lady had to say about it... about how the best and worst people are drawn to it, or whatever it was she said. Could have been utilized more! Dead Dog Farm could even have been a suitable replacement for the abandoned lot in Buckhorn from Season 3, in a perfect world where S3 was filmed in the early 90s haha.

Dead Dog Farm was aces! And the subplot that sees Jean Renault meeting his end there and the speech he gives to Cooper beforehand ("maybe the nightmare came here with you and when you're gone so will be gone the nightmare ...") are pure dynamite! And then, just when those troubles end favourably for our hero and things seem to have settled down, there's the corpse of the vagrant arranged in a creepy way waiting for them at the sheriff's station - an omen of something much more sinister looming on the horizon for Cooper. Pure TP bliss!
I thought that was a remarkable scene. Excellent shots of Cooper looking utterly defeated. Shame that Jean Renault was taken out so swiftly. His last speech was some dark poetry, cutting right into Dale.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Valaquen wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:

I thought that was a remarkable scene. Excellent shots of Cooper looking utterly defeated. Shame that Jean Renault was taken out so swiftly. His last speech was some dark poetry, cutting right into Dale.
Jean Renault is one of the most underrated characters in the TP lore in my opinion (much more memorable than Jacques). I wish they would've used him more - what a great, savory nemesis for Cooper. Each second he's on screen was immediately ingrained in my memory for all eternity and it's always great to meet a fellow JR appreciator! :)
Valaquen
Roadhouse Member

Post by Valaquen »

Agent Earle wrote:Jean Renault is one of the most underrated characters in the TP lore in my opinion (much more memorable than Jacques). I wish they would've used him more - what a great, savory nemesis for Cooper. Each second he's on screen was immediately ingrained in my memory for all eternity and it's always great to meet a fellow JR appreciator! :)
Long live Michael Parks. Ideally I'd have loved Renault to tangle with Windom Earle, and form a triumvirate with Leo. But Windom crept around in his pyjamas most of the time and JR left the screen early. But what a great villain, and a memorable performance.