POLL: Predict BOB for S3 [Book spoilers permitted]

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

How do you expect Bob to appear in season 3

BOB won't appear
11%
Cooper will be BOB
16%
Leland as BOB
24%
A new lookalike actor (specify in comments)
11%
A new completely different looking actor (specify in comments)
3%
BOB without a human appearance, now appears as surreal imagery, eg owls, swirling lights and whatnot
14%
BOB will as of now, only have a voice
0%
Old imagery of Silva will be used
11%
A CGI rendition of Silva
10%

Total votes: 340
Maddy
Roadhouse Member

Re: POLL: Predict BOB for S3 [Book spoilers permitted]

Post by Maddy »

Which actor is Frank Collinson in MD please?
The Angels will return...
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Maddy wrote:Which actor is Frank Collinson in MD please?
Don't believe he was in MD - at least, not in a credited role.

He had a tiny role in W@H as the manager of the Iguana Hotel in Big Tuna - the guy who is oddly glad that that "asshole" Robert Brenton died in a car crash. Obviously, he looks completely different now, since that was 26 years ago.
Here Comes That Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by Here Comes That Bob »

I'm honestly hoping for old Silva footages.
Here Comes That Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by Here Comes That Bob »

Maddy wrote:Which actor is Frank Collinson in MD please?
RR Diner Member

Post by 4815162342 »

What part of the book pertains to BOB exactly?
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

There is a passage of which one could theorize it pertains to the origins of BOB as we know him.

Handwritten notes, discovered in 1879, later found in a masonic lodge:
Two men, one of them named Denver Bob, DB for short, are looking for gold in a natural cave. Inside they find a lot of ritualistic stuff left there by natives, they also find the Owl Cave map drawn on the wall. They are spooked by a huge owl, so they move to set up camp near a river, where they are again spooked by strange sounds which DB interprets as voices. The next day Denver Bob disappears without a trace.

I think this might be a very deliberate clue left by Mark telling us that the BOB we all know (long grey hair, wearing denim (denim has been around since mid 19th century!)) is also simply some kind of vessel for the 'evil that men do'. Perhaps this is also preparing us for seeing Bob in a different shape in S3.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
RainingPostToasties
Roadhouse Member

Post by RainingPostToasties »

Recast or not in at all. I don't expect any trickery like Bob being represented by Leland's image, and CGI re-creation of Frank Silva would either be prohibitively expensive, or too hokey.
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

I imagine we may not encounter Bob at all. With the large number of new cast members I expect all denizens of the lodges will be new faces with new names. With the exception of the giant, and possibly jumping man?
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

I don't think Bob will appear in any conventional form. I do think Cooper will, at least, overlap with him - I mean that's the end of the last series and the implicit hook for this one. As for Leland, I could see him being used in a Bob-like role but without any explicit clarification as to whether this is Bob taking on a new role or Leland stepping in to take perform the same function himself.

I think the rest of the options are unlikely especially a CGI Bob and *especially* a recast who "looks like Silva." This isn't Donna. The name BOB might as well have /Frank Silva after it: they didn't write the character of a long-haired, jean-jacketed character and go on a casting call, they said "hey let's put Frank in this movie and call him 'Bob'" and proceeded from there. No Frank, no Bob - period. (Unless, maybe he's dramatically different in appearance and *that's the point*.)

I suspect whatever role Bob plays or doesn't play in the new series, it will be a wild card. In fact I won't be surprised if this new series relate to the old Twin Peaks roughly like the last part of Mulholland Drive does to the rest of the movie. I don't think there will be as clear a throughline as many are expecting. Just a hunch. ;)
ForKeeps
RR Diner Member

Post by ForKeeps »

My prediction is that no one will predict exactly how it's going to be handled.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

My best guess was a combination of 2 of the options: old footage combined with new surreal imagery.
kitty666cats
RR Diner Member

Post by kitty666cats »

I've been guessing that Eddie Vedder will be playing BOB, but I'm also guessing that I will be dead wrong.
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

Random thought I had: this is probably more for the alternate series 3 fanfic thread than anything I actually expect or would want to see, but it struck me that one solution to "the BOB problem", sticking to what's already established, might involve going back to the dropped thread of former red herring Bob Leidecker. Don't ask me how the hell that would work, as everything's already so muddled regarding the nature of the leland/BOB partnership and what it looks like vs MIKE/Gerard (+the arm), what "body" was Ronette the only person to see, who the hell was Robertson, and so on. Adding a new "corporeal BOB" to that mix would ultimately be a bit nonsensical, but might have been fun all the same given that everyone assumed we were done with ol' Bob in his coma and the two Bobs had no connection.
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

I voted for Cooper as BOB, though I really hope that doesn't happen. It won't feel like Twin Peaks for me if it's totally devoid of Cooperisms. And I do expect significant evil Coop screen time.

Recreating BOB with CGI seems unlikely to me, as I'm sure it requires consent from Frank Silva's family. I also don't think Twin Peaks has Rogue One's special effects budget.
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

Does anyone have a clue where I could find the "Have you seen this man?" flyer in printable form, preferably PDF and not just a random JPEG?

I consider hanging some in my neighborhood as the hype builds, maybe one at work too. :)