POLL: Predict BOB for S3 [Book spoilers permitted]

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

How do you expect Bob to appear in season 3

BOB won't appear
11%
Cooper will be BOB
16%
Leland as BOB
24%
A new lookalike actor (specify in comments)
11%
A new completely different looking actor (specify in comments)
3%
BOB without a human appearance, now appears as surreal imagery, eg owls, swirling lights and whatnot
14%
BOB will as of now, only have a voice
0%
Old imagery of Silva will be used
11%
A CGI rendition of Silva
10%

Total votes: 340
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

POLL: Predict BOB for S3 [Book spoilers permitted]

Post by Soolsma »

Firstly: Thank you Dugpa, for enabling the poll function for all users!

This poll is about BOB and how you expect him to appear in the upcoming season, so not how you'd like to see him but whatever seems most likely.

Since I imagine no one will be really able to make up their minds, you're able to pick the two options which seem most likely to you.
Maybe there's an option I haven't thought of, if so please submit your idea in the comments and if there are a a couple of people who share your thoughts I can add the option afterwards. I've also enabled it so that you can change your vote later.

There is an entry in the book which possibly pertains to the origins as Bob as we know him. To keep our speculations up to date I've chosen for book spoilers to be permitted.

Choose your poison :twisted:
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Re: POLL: Predict BOB for S3 [Book spoilers permitted]

Post by bob_wooler »

My votes: "Lokalike actor portraying Bob" and "BOB without a human appearance...".

If it turns out we get a new lookalike actor portraying Bob, it would be reasonable to expect it being an actor of the same age as Frank Silva - if he was still alive. This because it would be inconsistent otherwise, since the other returning Lodge spirit's actors has aged equivalently (Carel Struycken, Carlton Lee Russell and even MJA who's return was intended). The only actor, IMO, with these criteria from the cast list is Frank Collison. I think Collison has way more potential than other typical suggestions coming from the TP community (even in here); actors who's only relevant characteristica is having long hair :roll: .
My favorite sollution for the show though, would be "BOB without a human appearance.." combined with some infrequent, short and scary-as-hell CGI appearances.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

It'd be really weird to see Maclachlan crawl over furniture like a crazed animal
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
writersblock
RR Diner Member

Post by writersblock »

I just keep thinking Ray Wise as Bob. It just makes sense to me. He played "Bob as Leland" so well.
Specialagentjeffries

Re: RE: Re: POLL: Predict BOB for S3 [Book spoilers permitted]

Post by Specialagentjeffries »

writersblock wrote:I just keep thinking Ray Wise as Bob. It just makes sense to me. He played "Bob as Leland" so well.
The more I think of it, the more i would prefer a rare use of CGI for BOB, for continuity in the Lodges mythology. Underexposed of course or in back lighting, his presence mostly evoked by sound.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Leland as Bob doesn't make any sense. I mean, at all.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
StealThisCorn
RR Diner Member
Location: Laying on Laura's lap in the Red Room / Gorging on garmonbozia with Bob Above the Convenience Store

Post by StealThisCorn »

Just want to specify, that, in an interview Mark Frost gave after S3 was originally announced (https://tvline.com/2014/10/06/twin-peak ... -spoilers/), the language he used implies to me that he and Lynch have thought up some sort of story solution to handle the BOB question.

Specifically, "I can’t really say. That’s a tough one to go into without giving away too much."

I could see their solution being to draw from the themes of retrograde time and motion already established in the series and film and have actors portray some of our favorite Lodge denizens who appear younger or older than their previously filmed selves. Because time is not logical or linear in that space. Some entities, such as BOB and the LMFAP, could look younger (i.e. have moved "backwards") while others (like Laura and Cooper) will look older (having moved "forwards"). This is just an personal idea of mine.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

I mean, Frank Silva passed away in 1995. They knew from the very beginning of the writing process that he is no longer available. It should be one of the very first things to look into and find a solution.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

I feel pretty certain they'll "go with what we know" already.

Bob rode Leland for a long time. He was comfortable in that skin. Even after Bob "shuffled off to Buffalo" he kept a Lelandganger around in the Lodge.

Then he got to take a ride with Coop. Talk about first class accommodations! Coop has access, cunning and an accepted level of quirkiness that are a good fit for Bob.

For me the question is more "what will become of Bob when Leland and Coop are no longer viable hosts/personas?"

We'll know for sure soon enough, holy cow!

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Panapaok wrote:Leland as Bob doesn't make any sense. I mean, at all.
Even though he actually was Bob, killed Theresa, killed Laura, killed Maddy. . .? Please elaborate because expressing your opinion as a matter of fact kind of takes a shit on a lot of others' opinions to the contrary. I'm genuinely interested to read why you think it makes no sense. Theories abound and I'm interested in all of them.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
ForKeeps
RR Diner Member

Post by ForKeeps »

I think of it as "Leland replacing Bob" not Leland AS Bob, like it's just Ray Wise in BOB drag. I honestly have no idea what they're going to do but that's my prediction if I had to make one.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Mordeen wrote:
Even though he actually was Bob, killed Theresa, killed Laura, killed Maddy. . .? Please elaborate because expressing your opinion as a matter of fact kind of takes a shit on a lot of others' opinions to the contrary. I'm genuinely interested to read why you think it makes no sense. Theories abound and I'm interested in all of them.

-Mordeen
Yeah, sorry for expressing this so definitively. I shouldn't do that.

Anyway, I genuinely can't see any logic behind this prospect. Bob used Leland as a vessel for decades, so as to satisfy his needs. But after killing Maddy, Bob decided to leave Leland once and for all and in the process he killed him as well. He used Leland as a living entity. He wanted to do the same with Laura but she took the ring and she prevented this by forcing him to kill her. Bob can't inhabit dead people. That's the point they tried to make in both series and film.

Bob is Bob. He is not Leland and he is not Coop. He has his own face and few can recognise him. Reappearing as Leland just doesn't make any sense to me. I can't see how that could work.
cowwithfivelegs
Roadhouse Member

Post by cowwithfivelegs »

Last edited by cowwithfivelegs on Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by OK,Bob »

cowwithfivelegs wrote:I'd put my money on BOB being an actor from Mulholland Dr.
Vincent Castellanos always strikes me as a fine BOB every time I watch M.D....
"OK, Bob. OK, BOB. OK." -Audrey Horne
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

cowwithfivelegs wrote:I'd put my money on BOB being an actor from Mulholland Dr.
It's certainly very interesting that people speculated about that for months and then, when the cast list was released, he was in it.