Twin Peaks in Canada on CraveTV

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Yasdnil
Roadhouse Member

Twin Peaks in Canada on CraveTV

Post by Yasdnil »

So it appears that Showtime programming will be premiering in Canada on CraveTV's streaming service, beginning in November. I just confirmed on Twitter with the official CraveTV account that this means Twin Peaks will be airing as it airs on Showtime in the US.

http://www.bellmedia.ca/pr/press/showti ... he-affair/

https://twitter.com/bellmediapr/status/ ... 4906819584

https://twitter.com/cravetvcanada/statu ... 0896404481

This is really exciting news for those of us north of 49!!
“I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.”
Hurley

Re: Twin Peaks in Canada on CraveTV

Post by Hurley »

Giant Cooperesque thumbs up for this news!
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Is this something us cord cutters can simply subscribe to, or is it one of those online things that's locked behind having a cable account?
Yasdnil
Roadhouse Member

Post by Yasdnil »

Rudagger wrote:Is this something us cord cutters can simply subscribe to, or is it one of those online things that's locked behind having a cable account?
You definitely don't need cable to subscribe anymore (but you did for a while when it first came out).

If you have an AppleTV/iOS device there's an app for it; I believe the Xbox and maybe PS4 has an app as well. Otherwise you can watch it in your browser. If you do have a cable subscription, you can likely order it through them and then it shows up as a channel in your TV schedule, and payment shows up on your monthly bill. (We did this initially because ordering it through Telus saved us a couple of bucks per month vs ordering it directly from CraveTV but ultimately the apps are easier to navigate than the pay-per-view/On demand interface of the "channel" that Telus has set up...)
“I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.”
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

Does CraveTV have new content available when it is actually broadcast? Or does it become available on-demand some time afterward?

In other words, will it be available on, say, Sunday, May 21 at 9pm? :)

Or shall we expect a turkey dog here after all?

/ Sorry to necro this thread.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

I'm also curious. I'm also up in the pink room land aka Canada.
pineweasel

Post by pineweasel »

I'm in Toronto and started a 1-month free trial last week. The Affair has new episodes weekly, but Homeland S6 E1 has not shown up (S5 is missing as well). Contacted support re: Twin Peaks premiering on May 21 and they said they don't have the licencing rights yet. Wtf? I've emailed the contact from the October 24 Bell Media press release to get some more info.
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

pineweasel wrote:I'm in Toronto and started a 1-month free trial last week. The Affair has new episodes weekly, but Homeland S6 E1 has not shown up (S5 is missing as well). Contacted support re: Twin Peaks premiering on May 21 and they said they don't have the licencing rights yet. Wtf? I've emailed the contact from the October 24 Bell Media press release to get some more info.
Thanks for the info, pineweasel. I guess they have a few months to get their ducks in a row, but I do find it a bit surprising that they don't just license their entire library wholesale. But I don't know anything about how that industry works.

Please post anything you are able to uncover!

Nice avatar. :)
pineweasel

Post by pineweasel »

garethw wrote:
pineweasel wrote:I'm in Toronto and started a 1-month free trial last week. The Affair has new episodes weekly, but Homeland S6 E1 has not shown up (S5 is missing as well). Contacted support re: Twin Peaks premiering on May 21 and they said they don't have the licencing rights yet. Wtf? I've emailed the contact from the October 24 Bell Media press release to get some more info.
Thanks for the info, pineweasel. I guess they have a few months to get their ducks in a row, but I do find it a bit surprising that they don't just license their entire library wholesale. But I don't know anything about how that industry works.

Please post anything you are able to uncover!

Nice avatar. :)
Will do, garethw. Nice avatar as well! No response yet but someone added me to the CraveTV mailing list lol.
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3358

where a LonelySoul is compiling viewing info around the world.
heLL paso

Post by heLL paso »

garethw wrote:Does CraveTV have new content available when it is actually broadcast? Or does it become available on-demand some time afterward?

In other words, will it be available on, say, Sunday, May 21 at 9pm? :)

Or shall we expect a turkey dog here after all?

/ Sorry to necro this thread.
I'm not 100% sold that CraveTV will be airing S3 (or whatever you want to call it) of Twin Peaks at the exact moment as it does in the states, but going by two of the links Yasdnil provided, it seems it will. I know last year, CraveTV aired the 1st season of Billions on the same night and they're doing the same with the current season of The Affair. BellMedia bought the Canadian rights to Showtime shows (they own CraveTV) but to assume all their shows will air live on CraveTV from now on would be incorrect because Homeland's new season is not airing on it. The first four seasons are available, but season 5 hasn’t even appeared on it, as of now. The Super Channel (which airs on many providers, including Bell, but is not owned by Bell) has always aired new episodes, so perhaps they already had a long term deal in place with Showtime to always air Homeland. This past week, for the first time ever, TMN (which airs on many providers, including Bell) started airing Homeland on the same night S6 premiered, but the problem is it was for S5, so I'm guessing as soon as 12 weeks are up, these episodes will transfer over to CraveTV. The latest seasons of Penny Dreadful and Ray Donovan also aired live on TMN (Penny Dreadful even debuted a week early OnDemand) and shortly after their seasons ended (I'm not sure exactly when, it may have been in October/November when the deal with CraveTV was set or possibly as soon as the seasons fully aired on TMN), they shifted off of OnDemand, over to CraveTV.

Now back to Twin Peaks, I noticed sometime last week that all episodes for S1-2 are available to watch On Demand from TMN. So this gets me to thinking that it’s possible the new episodes could possibly start airing live on TMN and not CraveTV. It doesn’t matter to me as long as it’s not the Super Chanel.

Another thing of note, I watch both Billions and The Affair but I have always waited until the entire season was over before I binged them. I’m not sure if they air exactly at 9 PM eastern but one thing I did notice before is that there is a Hulu show called Casual that CraveTV airs the same day of release in America. This is another show I have waited for the entire season to air before viewing, but I did notice one day that early in the afternoon they already had that night’s episode available to view, so I’m not sure if that was a one-time glitch or if they always release new episodes like Netflix does at 12 AM Pacific. I’ll try to see if this upcoming Sunday’s episode of The Affair is available during the day.
pineweasel

Post by pineweasel »

From today's CraveTV newsletter:
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (130.63 KiB) Viewed 10852 times